Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:25   #1

Swift VXi/Getz Prime 1.1L/U-VA

I am looking for a car within 5L. I drive around 600kms in a month - so, not a whole lot. I like Getz Prime for its spacious interior and bootspace. However, 1.1L basic GLE model costs 4.55L - the issue is that this does not have power windows. The next higher model GVS with power windows, larger tyres and spoiler has a steep price increase of 50K and costs 5.02L. I feel this is overpriced and paying up more than 5L for a slightly underpowered 1.1L engine seems too much.

The other option is Swift VXi. This has power windows. I took a test drive and the ride felt smooth. The only issue was that I am tall and the steering wheel is not moveable - so the steering keeps hitting my leg while getting in and out of the car. Additionally, I get a somewhat cramped feeling inside the car and the boot space is less than Getz too. The pricing is okay though since we get a 1.3L engine car within 5L and with the same mileage as Getz alongwith hassle free after sales service.

I do not have much idea of Chevy U-VA and have yet to take a test drive. This has a bigger 1.2L engine and the LS version comes within my budget of 5L and has power windows and large interior space. The spec shows a smaller boot space though. I am suspect about the Chevy after sales service and moreover, there are only 2 or 3 Chevy dealers in Bangalore.

Adding to all this is the fact that there are absolutely no promotional offers of any kind for the Diwali festival season for any of these cars.

Any help/poitners will be useful.

Thanks,
Suresh
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:42   #2
BHPian

Why cannot you go TD the brand new Hyundai i10?It is quite an expensive package,though.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:44   #3
BHPian

Well you have four options in the Petrol Hatch Category.

Chevy UV-A
Swift Vxi
Getz Prime GLS
Hyundai i10

Regards the Chevy UV-A its an allround great car with no real negatives except the GM After sales/service and probably the resale value. GM is here to stay and if you plan to keep the car for a minimun of 4-5 years do take test ride, i see no reason why GM badge should be too much of an issue.

Swift VXI - I guess you pretty much covered everything in ur own report. Again a decent all round car.

Getz GLS - The car to go for if you can stretch your budget and SPACE and Quality built are your priority. It has the 1.3 engine. If u have to haul 4-5 well built indians in comfort this is it!

Hyundai i10 - Have u checked it out???

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html

All the best for your decision and do let us all know what you go for

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 2nd November 2007 at 20:00.
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am 6 2 tall and I understand that swift space is not enough for you. To add to the difficulty, swift does not have dead pedal to rest left foot. Its VFM and has an excellent engine.

Go for Getz1.3 if you can stretch little. I do not recommend 1.1 as it is not enough to pull 1100 kg. Forget 1.1 if you intend to use AC most of the time. I heard the mileage in 1.1 is not much compared to 1.3. Some even claim 1.1 gives less mileage than 1.3. Hyundai claims 1.1 mileage of 14 and 1.3 mileage of 11.

Hyundai i10 seems to be a good vehicle and it should fit your budget.

Considering your budget, the best option seems to be UVA if you can live with Chevy. I do not have any experience with Chevy vehicles.
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:17   #5

Getz 1.3L engine costs around 5.4L and moreover, I have heard from multiple sources that 1.3L engine mileage is lower. Is this true?

I will TD the Chevy U-VA and update this forum on my findings.
Needless to say, this is as confusing as it gets.

I thought i10 is within 4L and is a smaller segment car in the likes of Spark and Santro. Please comment.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:34   #6
BHPian

If driving alone or with a co-passenger zero in on the swift. If it going to be a family car the Swift is going to be cramped and the Getz would be a good option.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:30   #7
BANNED

palio 1.1 is d best.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think you should zero on the 1.3 GLS Getz if you can stretch another 40k with bargaining some free goodies with the car,will give a real value deal,The getz prime is a good car,spacious,good interior and smooth,ad parts are relatively cheap in mainatinence.As far as the FE is concerned in our todays trafic any car would not give you more than 10-11kmpl.

all I can say is Go Getz It
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:50   #9
BHPian

I'll vote for Palio 1.1 or 1.6 then comes Swift , UVA and getz.
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If driving alone or with a co-passenger zero in on the swift. If it going to be a family car the Swift is going to be cramped and the Getz would be a good option.
I agree that Getz is more spacious than Swift.. But No way can Swift be called cramped
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just coz it does have power windows Getz GLE is out? Why not get it fitted later? Also check out thenew I10.

Santro's 1.1 is peppier than Swift FOR city driving.

Why not Spark? heard the 50k festive deal is still available.
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh183 View Post
Getz 1.3L engine costs around 5.4L and moreover, I have heard from multiple sources that 1.3L engine mileage is lower. Is this true?
I own a 1.3 GLE (before u ask...it was availaible beofre PRIME came around). I am getting 10-11 in City with 25% AC. Highway - 13-14 again with 25% AC. See if that suits u. Try for discounts as its the festive season. Also if if you go for a less moving colour then u might get a bigger discount. Till a few months back there were a few 1.3 GLE/GVS (non PRIME)with dealers..not sure if some are still left.

Quote:
I will TD the Chevy U-VA and update this forum on my findings.
Needless to say, this is as confusing as it gets.
Best of Luck..do update us with your findings.

Quote:
I thought i10 is within 4L and is a smaller segment car in the likes of Spark and Santro. Please comment.
Well it depends on the model you are going for. For less than 4.5L On road you can get one of the higer end models with quite a few goodies.

Yes its smaller than Getz (quite) and even Swift (Not sure if how much exactly). Its more like a bigger Santro in terms of space. The best option would be to TEST DRIVE one. If its good..why go for Swift/getz!

Elito
Old 3rd November 2007, 14:48   #13
BHPian

I am now a month and 13 day days old owner of a Chevy U-VA LS model. I was in a similar dillemna and had as you have , zeroed in on the 3 options of Swift/ Hyundai Getz/ and Chevy U-VA. after almost a month long research on t-bhp ( believe me this place is magic!) and loads of magazines here were my observations, of course u will find many many such obs.

Swift is a great car in terms of mileage and pickup but i didnt find it spacious enough. read a lot about the rear space problem( of course its MHO).After sales you can expect good work from maruti of course.

The Getz 1.3 is a great car with gd gear shifting ( as i read somewhere its like smooth butter.but otherwise it is an all-rounder ( not sure about the mileage part though) we didnt go for this car because my dad wasnt keen on the hyundai brand.

And finally the chevy. U-VA.( will give cost specifics later) This too is a great all rounder.giving me a mileage of about 12 in city ...supposed to be 15.4 on highway but i havent driven it much on highways yet.AC cooling is also real good. NOTE: this might be my car specific but the only little problem i seem to face currently is that the gear shifting for 1st and 2nd is a little hard beyond that its real smooth. but that is the ONLY flaw. rest all this car is awesome.great space all over front and rear. tilt steer may help since you are tall.I am not aware of the sales and dealer efficiency in bangalore but mine here is good enough.

another point- go for the LS(mid version). we had actually gone for the top end LT version but the color we wasnt available soon( velocity blue)
so what we did was took the mid LS and added all that we could from the LT ( fog lamps, similar color OSRVM ) the rear defogger and wiper couldnt be added of course.

here are the cost specs(ALL MUMBAI PRICES)
- the base model ex shwroom-4,20,478---otr(mum)4,71,224

mid LS ex-shwrom-464419 otr (mum) 5,19,800 (after all our addons we came to 5.69 including the ICE ..so saved almost 27k from the LT )

top LT ex-shwrom 5,06,704 otr-5,66,657

hope the above gives a little idea about the U-VA atleast.
Old 4th November 2007, 00:24   #14
BHPian

Hi.. the tilt steering should "tilt" the decision in favour of the UVA since you are tall and find the steering hitting your knees. But one thing to watch out for in the UVA - ICE - the front speaker bay on the doors is not deep enough..thats what we found in a friend's UVA and had a tough time fitting the speakers. Otherwise its a damn good car.
Nimz
Old 4th November 2007, 00:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would choose the Getz 1.3 -discouts upto 30k nowadays !!

Swift is cramped at rear so if you can live with that - then go ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks