Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 23:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

I would still go in for a wagon r / alto / santro. For a beginner the visiblity is important, only then she can drive it with peace of mind. to her driving the swift would be like driving an aeroplane. and reversing would be a big time issue, with those high windows, she may not even be able to put her head out of the window properly.
Old 13th November 2007, 09:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Adjust

5'.3" is not that short. I do not know how adjustable the seats are in this car but you can always alter or replace the seat to make it easier for her. The right application of cushions might help. One other option is to find a newer, younger, taller girl friend. This might be cheaper.
Old 13th November 2007, 10:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The worst thing about reversing the Swift is the pathetic reversing 'light'. It doesn't give any light at all!

I don't think the visibility issue is as bad as some have said. She won't be able to rest her elbow on the open window frame, though. Even at 5ft 10in I find that uncomfortable!

DirtyDan... there is no seat hight adjustment on the VDI. If needed, it's cushions!

at your other comments!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th November 2007 at 10:15.
Old 13th November 2007, 10:31   #34
BHPian

dont worry about a diesel specific car being the first one for your gf!!!

my wife learnt driving in her uncle's Tata Sumo and used it for almost a year!!! and then she took to driving the 118NE long term and now the OHC VTEC, sometimes with good slalom techniques to keep the other puny dragster wannabes far behind!!!

so shifting between a diesel and petrol is more of the human mind than of anything else to be worried about.

one point you might have to watch for is if she's comfortable in reaching the 3 pedals, the controls and still rest easy on the driver's seat at a seat setting that suits her due to her height.

Last edited by gbpscars : 13th November 2007 at 10:33.
Old 13th November 2007, 10:36   #35
BHPian

torque is not an issue in swift D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@ Speed Devil: If I were in your place, I would definately have gone for Santro/Wagon R as the clutch and other pedals were easily reachable and the front too was visible. In your case your gf is only 5'3".

Moreover, Diesel cars do not give the initial thrust required for pick up after you start moving from a traffic signal.

There is no issue at all about the initial thrust in swift D. All one has to do is to gently take off the foot from the clutch pedal without touching the accelerator even for mild inclines - the car takes off rather easily but doesnt go in to the turbo band. The acceleration kind of equalizes to a slow running speed. Very useful in the stop and go traffic of Bangalore. I got used to this so much that I find it odd when I drive small engined petrol cars now.

The negative is the heavy clutch - bumper to bumper traffic for half an hour is enough to make the left leg ache!
Mahesh
Old 13th November 2007, 17:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the size of the car or its power or what fuel it guzzles has got nothing to do with how easy or hard a car is to drive. What finally matters is how good is the visibility, how heavy/light the controls are... especially the clutch and steering and finally how well the car handles and responds to driver input.

I find driving my Cedia to be way way easier than driving the esteem/zen/palio/corsa/baleno/swift/OHC/Elantra/Optra Magnum. The Civic and vRS felt about the same. Thats basically the list of all indian cars i've driven.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th November 2007 at 17:54.
Old 13th November 2007, 18:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, for a beginner lady driver, a Chevy spark in any peppy color ( green,red) will suit perfectly
Old 13th November 2007, 18:31   #38
BHPian

since she is not very tall i think seat positioning is very important, ask her to drive the car daily where there is medium traffic and slowly go on to busier roads and teach her on how master the skills of parking let her get used used to the cars and if u have other cars let he drive them aswell

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks