Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2007, 19:50   #1

Is the Hyundai I10 VFM ?

hey guys
Could you please help me out in deciding between an i10 and a swift
well i know there are many getz swift threads and also small car shootsouts between the swift uva and getz , however after i test drove the getz 1.1 and the i 10 i felt the i10 to be more nippier of the 2 and i want to know your opinion about the i10
This thread is basically dedicated to the cons and pros about the i10 with regaurds to the swift

As i said i am selecting between the i10 magna and getz1.1 and swift Vxi.
(not willing to consider other cars or other variants)
Budget allows for any of the 3
the magna i10 is 4.7L
swift vxi 4.9L
and getz 1.1 5.08L less rs 10000disc

Average usage is just about 200km a month ( use the car only on weekends with friends and make one trip to pune every 4 months)
i am 27yrs old and live in mumbai
Also i intend keeping the car for about 6-7yrs so i dont care about the resale

i test drove the i10 and getz on the same day
love the i10 interiors also feel its more nippier than the getz 1.1 and feels it has more low end torque which seems good for city driving
however i felt it requires more gear shift changes and the susppension is stiff
(this was the majour bone of contension)

the getz only wins in my books on its softer suspension ( yes there are many points like more space but im not concerned about space). is that true ?? do you guys think there are other differnece??

the swift on the other hand i have found similar to the i10 in its drivability.
one has EPS the other has what they call motor driven power steering
of course the swifts got more power but i cudnt test that ( i.e driving at higher speeds - also im not too concerned about that either)

Can u guys help me by your experience about which of these two cars ( swift and i10) have a softer suspension in your books and which of these two cars are better to drive at lower speeds ( since i live in south mumbai and hardly ever drive on the highways)

i need your ever valuable advice considering only 5 aspects that are important to me - and so , which should i buy the swift vxi or the i10magna
1. drivability at lower speeds for mumbai traffic ( basically which of these two cars, do you guys find nippier)
2. better suspension ( softer suspension/feel less bumps)
3. Maintenece costs
4.lower no. of gear shifts reqd for mumbai city
5. VFM

most threads seems to suggest that for 20K the swift having more power wud be more VFM. is that true in your judgement or does the i10 justify its price for maybe having something the swift doesnt ??
im quite confused
pls help
Old 17th November 2007, 21:18   #2
BHPian

Hi khuz1979,

My answer to your Q is YES. I am a new owner of the Magna. I feel the performance and the quality, deserve the price it has. Though ERA seems to be a sensible choice, if you can afford, stretch to Magna. Feels good.
Old 17th November 2007, 23:18   #3
BHPian

Going by your requirements:
1. drivability at lower speeds for mumbai traffic ( basically which of these two cars, do you guys find nippier)

Here i think the i10 is better. It generates decent torque at lower rpm which translates to better drivability + u have already driven and experienced it. Swift petrol does not have the same and struggles in 2nd gear in slow moving traffic.

2. better suspension ( softer suspension/feel less bumps)

Well i have not driven the i10 but hav driven the swift and also been in its backseat. The ride here is also not the smoothest (slightly on the bumpy side) but better than a santro.

3. Maintenece costs

Being Maruti, Swift will be easier on the pocket. And here's the tricky part. Since the i10 is so new, there is no way of knowing the cost of spares and servicing. The spares of some hyundai cars are not the cheapest though.

4.lower no. of gear shifts reqd for mumbai city
Again same as the 1st point.

5. VFM - does the i10 justify its price for maybe having something the swift doesnt

Well sorry again not driven the i10. Swift is a great car to drive. All that power is certainly handy when overtaking. I wont say much as there are a lot of threads u'll find here detailing the ownership experiences of swift.
Old 18th November 2007, 10:15   #4

thanks guys
hmm.. i already know so much about the swift thanks to so many threads on it,
i actually wanna know more about the i10 . Hoping from some comments of people who have TD'ed the the i10 and have also been in a swift to tell me there experience about the suspension , no. of gear shifts and the VFM against it
Old 18th November 2007, 12:19   #5
BHPian

The getz 1.3 verison in 5lkh OTR afrer all the dicsounts , so getz 1.1 should be definitely cheaper . ( Did you chk the discounts on getz 1.1?)

Are you forgetting about the milage? swift vxi is 1.3 and much heavier and i10 is 1.1 and lighter( and obviously less powerful than getz1.3/ swift) .

In city driving swift average is around 10 vs i10 should be around 12+ .

So do you per month fuel calculations and then decide.
Old 18th November 2007, 14:22   #6
BHPian

I would go for the i10 over the Swift for the ABS and Airbags.
Old 18th November 2007, 14:24   #7
BHPian

well i would say Swift always
Old 18th November 2007, 15:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuz1979 View Post
i actually wanna know more about the i10
Could you catch the 'Auto Show' in CNBC today. They had a Road Test of i10. Ratings were goo. 3-4 stars for most aspects like engine, interiors, speed dynamics etc.) & 5 stars for chassis.
Old 18th November 2007, 17:19   #9
BHPian

Even i had a tough time deciding between Swift Lxi and i10 Era(diff of 25k). Since I am from pune and traffic on my daily route is somewhat similar to Mumbai's I went ahead with i10 Era because of better driveablity, boot space, mileage(supposed to be good), interiors . Also I would not be taking it much on the highway hence i10.

BS motoring has a detailed review:

Top Story - i10 number - Business Standard Motoring
Old 18th November 2007, 19:19   #10

3 stars..well that doesnt instill too much confidence.
anyway thank you very much for your inputs

@johy
- dude the magna doesnt come with ABS and airbags only the MAgna (o) which wud be 52000rs more than the swift vxi here in mumbai

@hrishig
yes i have already bargained for the disounts
the getz1.1 GVS with 175 tyre tread and spoiler is for rs 5.08lakhs less rs 12000 discount max
the getz 1.3 is a good 42000rs more also im not considering it cause i have to draw the line somewhere in milege. im not a very economical driver so my driving style wudnt give me more than 8 .so im totally not considering the 1.3 ( other than that i agree the palio nv 1.2 and the getz1.3 are the best cars to choose from -however due to certzain reasons i cant have them)
And yes i do knnow that the i10 wud deliver 1-2 km/lt more than the swift.. not too concerned about that. yes i also know the differnece in engine cap 1.1 vs the 1.3 but im not too concerned with top speed im more concerned with pickup and lower end torque with lesser gear shifts for mumbai traffic.(as i said i hardly hit the highways)

thanks for your inputs guys , wish i cud catch that series on tv where they were rating the i10.
hope to hear more suspesion,driavability and VFM inputs
Old 18th November 2007, 21:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
The getz 1.3 verison in 5lkh OTR afrer all the dicsounts , so getz 1.1 should be definitely cheaper . ( Did you chk the discounts on getz 1.1?)

Are you forgetting about the milage? swift vxi is 1.3 and much heavier and i10 is 1.1 and lighter( and obviously less powerful than getz1.3/ swift) .

In city driving swift average is around 10 vs i10 should be around 12+ .

So do you per month fuel calculations and then decide.

i dont think mileage is a consideration at all given the monthly running of 200kms.. at a diff of just 2kmpl assuming that is the case indeed, it translates to just about Rs150 per month...
looking at other features, and ur requirements as mentioned in ur post, i think swift makes much more sense...
Old 18th November 2007, 21:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its simple: Santro for economy, i10 for luxury in 5 lac car bracket.

i10 beats all other cars in its segment and one above (Swift/Getz/Palio) in quality and modern looks.

Buy Santro for economy, Swift for Maruti badge (but remember its not economy car from Maruti.), i10 for class leading luxury with goodies.

Santro is more VFM compared with i10.

i10 is more VFM compared with Swift because i10 will fetch better FE, class leading quality.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th November 2007, 07:02   #13
BANNED

i10 is not a VFM option when compared to the tried & tested Swift.

Nothing more to elaborate since there is a search option here !
Old 20th November 2007, 09:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Swift - it is a complete driver's car and is very fun - heck even take an LDi. For all the kms you will drive - this car gives you miles and miles of smiles

LDi will address the FE concern too
Old 20th November 2007, 09:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rravik View Post
Even i had a tough time deciding between Swift Lxi and i10 Era(diff of 25k). Since I am from pune and traffic on my daily route is somewhat similar to Mumbai's I went ahead with i10 Era because of better driveablity, boot space, mileage(supposed to be good), interiors . Also I would not be taking it much on the highway hence i10.

BS motoring has a detailed review:

Top Story - i10 number - Business Standard Motoring
Hi,

I am from Pune too.I own a SWIFT-VXI and covered 14.5K kms till now.About 95% of the distance covered is by driving in city only.And believe me,I have never felt any problem in bumper to bumper traffic.I am very comfortable due to the power of SWIFT.

Only problem till date I have faced is slight rattle from dash.But SWIFT is definitely a pleasure to drive with good handling and stability...while overtaking...it is mindblowing!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks