Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 19:08   #1

Booked a Swift ZXI but...

Hi all,

I have just taken another step towards the purchase of my first car but I am not really sure if I have made the right decision.

Yesterday I went to Rohan Motors, and booked a Swift ZXI. However, once I returned home, I started surfing the net and read about the lack of low end grunt in the petrol version. It seems that you really need to rev her to get her moving. I currently drive our family's Esteem (2004 model)and between me and my mom the car has covered 48,000 km in three years. I am quite sure that the Esteem is lighter than the Swift and that 2-3 bhp difference in favour of the Swift still won't give it the advantage. What I mean to say is that I hope the Swift P is the more fun to drive than our Esteem.

Yes I know I am making a strong case for the Swift VDI. Then again, my family is simply against the diesel version. They still think diesel engines belong in a truck (it is almost impossible to try to convince them otherwise). My family was there and since mom is making the initial downpayment she really has a say whether it would be diesel or petrol. I also tried informing them of the latest diesel technology but they said the car would start showing its diesel traits after about a year or so. It's all very confusing as sometimes I do think that the petrol version is the better buy considering the features of the ZXI.

I really don't want to regret my decision down the line. This is my first car and I would be keeping it for the next five years. I want to put my hard earned money so I would be kept happy for the next 5 years hehe! If you could just help me decide on which to buy.

I would have grabbed a Safari if I could afford it but that will have to wait. I have looked at all the options and Swift seems like the best. I have gone through various threads but now that we have more Swift D and P owners, I would like their feedback. Please help me decide guys.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:08   #2
BHPian

Esteem will feel peppier due to better pwr/wt ratio.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

As a car Swift is a good. With the 1.3 JTD it becomes so fantastic. I think go for the diesel, the engine is a gem and trust me you will enjoy each mile of the high torquey engine. Plus the suspension is stiffer so better ride and handling then the petrol.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You will not regret the Swift Petrol. A driver's car to the core.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:57   #5
BHPian

Swift ZXI is a good choice. You'll get all the safety features like airbag, ABS, EBD. BA etc...
Old 20th November 2007, 01:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post
Swift ZXI is a good choice. You'll get all the safety features like airbag, ABS, EBD. BA etc...
Swift Zxi dies not have Brake Assist.
Old 20th November 2007, 05:17   #7
BHPian

your choice is good mlal.Swift P is not a bad car.Swift D has more tourqy engine and ofcourse more fun to drive.But your decsion to buy Swift P is also good.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you take your mom for a test drive on the diesel. Tell her that anyways we are buying the petrol version. Tell her this is the only time we could just get a experience of how it feels. Somehow convince her to just take a test drive of the DDIS. THe engine is a gem though you might end up paying more and still not getting a few good things that comes withe the Zxi.
'If you are just concerned of the driving aspects and if your monthly running is less than 1500km i guess the zxi is a good buy. THe handling and the actual feel of driving the swift is entirely different than the esteem.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Swift P is a good car no doubt about that and that too zxi with all the features loaded on it. But it also depends on the driving driving. Currently you are doing around 1300 kms/month. For this Zxi would be ideal. If you plan to go beyond 1500 kms/month, then the FE comes into act. Then you may think why have I not brought the DDIs. Let me infomr you about the DDIS technology briefly: As most of the modern day technologies which comes up with Diesel engine, has the power and the ability to withstand more than 1 Lac kms on odo. This has been proved with Hyundai Accent which had come up with the same technology...CRDI some years ago and these engines are still running good even after touching more than a Lac kms on odo. Hence your myth about the Diesel engines are not good after 1 year is not acceptable. There are many threads available in this forum and if you go through the same, you will know what the real CRDI technology is about...
Old 20th November 2007, 10:51   #10
tez
BHPian

well guys, he may appreciate the power of diesel but his mom needs to be convinced. IMHO, go for Swift ZXi as planned and enjoy the car. Do not forget to post the pics once you get the delivery of your car.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:58   #11
BHPian

Hi mlal000, based on my experience I would have to say that the Swift petrol is a pretty good car. Does most of what you ask of it very nicely, albeit, without shining in any ! And yes, the car does lack low-end grunt, & can be like wading through molasses below 1500 RPM. However, one quickly gets used to it & it's only when you switch between cars frequently that you even notice this failing. Plus, the car's great on the highway, you can cruise at 100 Kmph all day, while the engine's ticking over at 2000 RPM.

I haven't driven the Swift diesel, but I have seen a few that seem to smoke a lot when pushed. That plus the diesel clatter, ughhh...
Old 20th November 2007, 13:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi mlal000, based on my experience I would have to say that the Swift petrol is a pretty good car. Does most of what you ask of it very nicely, albeit, without shining in any ! And yes, the car does lack low-end grunt, & can be like wading through molasses below 1500 RPM. However, one quickly gets used to it & it's only when you switch between cars frequently that you even notice this failing. Plus, the car's great on the highway, you can cruise at 100 Kmph all day, while the engine's ticking over at 2000 RPM.

I haven't driven the Swift diesel, but I have seen a few that seem to smoke a lot when pushed. That plus the diesel clatter, ughhh...
Any diesel would smoke if u rev it hard.And diesel clatter .Swift diesel has one of the best engines which u can hardly even make out if its a petrol or diesel from anywhere.Inside or outside.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlal000 View Post
Hi all,

......and since mom is making the initial downpayment she really has a say.... .
Now my good man, there is no confusion. Your mother decides. And she has decided for a good car. You need to convince yourself.

A The Swift petrol is a fine car. I have driven it and will vouch for it. You just need to convince yourself.

1 or 2 years down the diesel thing coming up - well you know - frankly, I feel the petrol engines are much more refined. Go for the Zxi sir, I would have done so.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Swift Zxi is really a good car considering all the goodies that come along with.It all depends on who is going to drive the car and how much.And about the lack of low end grunt in the petrol version, i guess it need not be considered a serious problem.So, go ahead with the Zxi..
Cheers
Old 20th November 2007, 15:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I advise you to drive one and see for yourself. Any diesel car smokes and diesel clatter is almost negligible inside the cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks