Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:37   #1

i10 or iKon

Folks,

I am looking for a car within ~5L. I had the Getz Prime 1.1, i10 and iKon in mind. I have TD the Getz and i10. I liked the spacious interiors of Getz but found it somewhat a drag while accelerating. i10 looked to be more sporty and the engine was more responsive compared to Getz. Moreover, I do not think Getz ever became so popular as Hyundai wanted it to be due to their ridiculous pricing. i10 is not cheap either. The Era model costs around 4.4L on road which is somewhat steep.

I felt iKon is a good car which is comfortable to drive. However, FE, resale value and Ford *** are the biggest worries with this vehicle. Other than that, it seems to be value for money since one gets a sedan within 5.4L.

I am looking for advice on which car is better given this budget. I travel around 600km in a month and require a car that is easy to drive in congested Bangalore roads.

Looking for response...

Thanks,
Suresh
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

both cars are quite easy to drive. But in case you want the smaller dimentions to negotiate traffic. go for the i10. if you need a boot go for the ikon. Ford A.S.S is as bad as it is spelt. I'd suggest the i10 for you.

But if you drive only 600km in a month and you dont mind on F.E and you dont hate a FIAT try out the Palio Stile 1.6. Its good value for money.
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

i10 and ikon.

names sound very similar, but the cars are not. had driven both the cars, and i think ikon is a better car anyday!

However, if resale value, after sales service etc assumes more importance than the car, go with the Hyundai.
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ikon ikool edition is pretty cool, i must say.
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:43   #5
BHPian

IF fuel economy and resale is important then i think I 10 is the one you should be looking at If big car and driving pleasure then its IKON but that will come at a price
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:06   #6
BANNED

Suresh,

there is no comparison go for IKon ... its great car to Drive

Regards,
JItendra
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The ikon ikool edition is pretty cool, i must say.

another limited version?

Esteem VXi costs 5.25 OTR here in Kerala.

IMHO,go for a sedan rather than a hatch if you can.
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:44   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

UNless you absolutely need a large boot, I would suggest going with the i10. Is far better / convenient to drive in the city. And there is always more satisfaction of buying the latest product.
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:49   #9
BHPian

The i10 being a new car is a good choice. However, again being a new car we aren't quite sure of the niggles and problems that might crop up with the early batch of cars.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

JK you got a valid point,if not esteem vxi go for the lxi,good mileage *** is good maintenence cost is low,pretty decent resale value too.ikon maintenance is high parts cost also.i always felt esteem is a bigger car than ikon.
ram
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh183 View Post
Folks,

I liked the spacious interiors of Getz but found it somewhat a drag while accelerating.
I dont think this is true as I myself own a Getz 1.1. You cant expect the performance to be like Swift or Ikon, but it is a decent performer.

But since you have taken Ikon into consideration, dont give a second thought, go for it. You will really enjoy driving it. FE is not bad for Ikon. But resale value might be a problem. But still I dont think you have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh183 View Post
I do not think Getz ever became so popular as Hyundai wanted it to be due to their ridiculous pricing.
Even i10 is overpriced....(Especially Models above Era)
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Ford A.S.S is as bad as it is spelt. I'd suggest the i10 for you.

But if you drive only 600km in a month and you dont mind on F.E and you dont hate a FIAT try out the Palio Stile 1.6. Its good value for money.
Now tell me frankly, between the two , which one would make more sense? I have never touched upon the Fiat after sales factor, and i dont intend to.

Suresh, the Ikon is a good bet, and for all normal servicing, you would have no issues if you decide to purchase your car from Cauvery Ford, which i have suggested to quite few people on the forum and they seem to be quite happy with their experience as well as purchase. If you want me to help you get in touch with someone there, let me know.

The i10 is a good car, no doubt about it, although the looks dont seem to excite me. Take a look at the costs involved, how much you can shell out and take a call. As far as mileage between the two is concerned, they would be on par, IMO.

For more details on the Ikon Flair, please go through my thread, and put forward any doubts you may have. Link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...12000-kms.html

Good luck.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:44   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

go for i10, firstly its latest on technology compared to ikon. more over the maintenance cost of ikon is also on higher side. with your price range you can buy i10 with a sun roof.
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Now tell me frankly, between the two , which one would make more sense? I have never touched upon the Fiat after sales factor, and i dont intend to.

Suresh, the Ikon is a good bet, and for all normal servicing, you would have no issues if you decide to purchase your car from Cauvery Ford, which i have suggested to quite few people on the forum and they seem to be quite happy with their experience as well as purchase. If you want me to help you get in touch with someone there, let me know.

The i10 is a good car, no doubt about it, although the looks dont seem to excite me. Take a look at the costs involved, how much you can shell out and take a call. As far as mileage between the two is concerned, they would be on par, IMO.

For more details on the Ikon Flair, please go through my thread, and put forward any doubts you may have. Link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...12000-kms.html

Good luck.
Personally, i'd go for the FIAT coz of its suspension. A.S.S ? ? Well after the tata take up i prefer the FIAT (atleast here) But with TVS..well i need some serious thinking on both.

OT:
And its good to know the cauvery is giving good service. Atleast in kerala i dont think Kairali is doing a good job. They are a bunch of guys with real attitude problems. They dont know what customer friendliness really means. They dont know what could cause an irregular rpm and they dont accept it should not happen. Even if you take them for a drive They dont hear the noise from you suspension untill your warranty os over. They dont have time to even check the fliud levels on your power steering to confrm if there is a possible leak ifyou dont go with a prior appointment and also dont decide to wait for hours for their emergency service to come and grab service charges from you. Well..thats not how i'd like my service centre guys to behave. WHichever country i am in.

Last edited by gemithomas : 23rd November 2007 at 11:50.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Hey buddy....
i think u first need to get the basics right...i.e....what do YOU want?
So far, what i have got to know is
1. You want a car in budget ~5L
2. A car that is easy to drive in congested Bangalore roads

Now you need to answer a few more questions and at the end you will have the right car in mind.

1. Do u absolutely need a bigger boot? If yes - ikon. If not -i10.
2. Is this your first car. If yes - i10. If not -ikon.
3. Though your plans are to drive just 600kms, is FE a big concern? If yes- i10. If not -ikon.
4. Resale of i10 will anytime be better than iKon, i10 being a newbie on the block.

Most Viewed