Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 08:25   #16
BHPian

Regarding height, wagon r will do I think. My aunt who is less than 5 feet drives the wagon r with great confidence. The gear shift being bad is not really a big issue for ordinary people. It is a problem only on paper, for people who read a lot . . . Once you drive 1000km on it, you will be able to shift without too much problem.
Old 28th November 2007, 09:15   #17
BHPian

@technocrat - forgive my ignorance, but I heard and read that MDPS is different from EPS. From what is read, the MDPS does not have same power source as that of EPS and hence the car tends to be more fuel efficient.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

And talking about comparing the power steering of i10 with Alto, I would just suggest to drive it once and judge the difference yourself.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

I would say the U-VA is a decent option, and since you intend on keeping the car for a long period would also hold up pretty well.

Else, the i10 seems to be the sensible choice. How suited and how comfortable you feel in it can be realized only after you and your dad head for a test drive.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I would say the U-VA is a decent option, and since you intend on keeping the car for a long period would also hold up pretty well.
But their A** is not good. Recently, GM has closed one dealer in Bangalore. Moreover, the resalve value of the car will not be good.

My choice for him would be: WagonR / i10. But do take a TD and decide.
Old 28th November 2007, 12:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
@technocrat - forgive my ignorance, but I heard and read that MDPS is different from EPS. From what is read, the MDPS does not have same power source as that of EPS and hence the car tends to be more fuel efficient.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

And talking about comparing the power steering of i10 with Alto, I would just suggest to drive it once and judge the difference yourself.
What you have been told is the difference between a HPS & an EPS\MDS. MDS & EPS are same.

I dont say that Alto's & i10's power is same all I wanted to say is that the technology used is same

just for info even my Dad's Alto VXi has better EPS than my LXi, even I fail to understand the reason.

Sorry for going OT
Old 28th November 2007, 12:57   #21

After the discussions...I went ahead and TDed the following vehicles today:

1. Hyundai i10 Magna. (4.63Laks OTR Bangalore, No accessories)
2. Chevrolet U-Va LT (5.6Laks OTR - Discounts offered 12K flat, promised more in December ...around 30K estimated)
3. Swift Zxi (5.8 Laks OTR)

I know I was comparing vehicles completely in different segments, but these were the ones available for test drives immediately

i10
Absolutely noisless engine and fantastic interiors were what struck me immediately. Switched to the 1st gear and moved, but strangely felt the initial pickup much lower than a Santro! ...Once on the ride, A/C was fantastic, cooled real fast.
Then I moved to the back seat, and immediately felt the back seat was a bit bumpy when moving on the 3rd gear. My uncle suddenly decided to test the Hand-brakes...what a shock! ...Even while going real slow, when he put the hand brakes, the vehicle continued to move. And when the vehicle was at a complete halt with the hand brake, pushed the pedal hard and the vehicle moves again!! . The sales guy was quite shocked too...and immediately rings up the service guy if the handbrakes are working at all! And to our shock after reaching the showroom the service guy argues that the handbrakes are working jusst fine. So we decided to show him how the handbrakes work in a Alto Lxi (My uncle's car, parked just beside us). Of course he had nothing to say after that!

Chevrolet U-Va

Immediate feel, like we felt with the Getz ..spacious.. Interiors were pretty decent. Nothing great. Visibility was better with the I10 for sure. 1st gear and immediately felt the vehicle had much better power and was more stable (just the feel). However, but when my dad was at the driver's seat he felt a little "overawed" by the width (lesser estimate). Also since the front bonnet is much smaller in I10 as compared to U-Va, felt lot more in control I guess. A/C, Handbrakes etc seemed perfect.
Also the sales guy promised accessories and immediate 12k discount. He also says wait for a few days you will get much higher discounts.

Swift Zxi

Fantastic power, great advantage of adjusting the height. A few mm made a lot of difference for sure. But the interiors.... Why couldnt Maruti do something about it!! Other things like A/C, handbrakes seemed just fine.
Overall a great car, and the size felt intermediate between the i10 and U-Va.

Can anything be done for the handbrakes of the i10. I10 owners wat do you guys think?
Old 28th November 2007, 15:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh it must just be a handbrake adjusment issue.Nothing to worry about.
Old 28th November 2007, 15:44   #23

Well.. not really .. even in one of the earlier reviews i read on t-Bhp has highlighted how bad the handbrakes were on the i10.
Old 28th November 2007, 15:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Oh it must just be a handbrake adjusment issue.Nothing to worry about.
Well not really, just check out this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-my-i10-5.html
Old 28th November 2007, 15:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yeah dont bother about what the Showroom guys say they dont know stuff most of the time. It must be Test Drive vehicle & the Hand brake might not be in working condition
Old 28th November 2007, 16:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_pursuit View Post
Switched to the 1st gear and moved, but strangely felt the initial pickup much lower than a Santro!
Felt the same. i10 initial pickup is nowhere near Santro/getz 1.1

However, its a good package overall. Handbrake issue must be in that particular car. Why not ask them to show another car, just to make sure?
Old 28th November 2007, 17:24   #27
BHPian

5-3 is not particularly short, in the Indian context. Most small cars would be driveable.

I guess you'd like a higher seating position - I loved the driver seating in Indica, next only to the Swift. With the Xeta, you get decent interiors and good FE too. It's priced almost at Alto levels - dont ignore that car.
Old 28th November 2007, 17:58   #28
BHPian

i know for sure that 'in_pursuit' hates indica .. but dude indicab is different from xeta. do take a look at it

Anyway I still feel that just coz there are millions of alto's on road, you should reject it.
Its a wonderful car. Great fuel eff, low maintainence, maruti a.s.s., etc.
Get an alto, put stanley leather seats(~35k) and you'll have world class interiors.
Switch to alloys (~15) and get soem cool sunfilm(~3k) and you have classy exteriors too!

Otherwise i10 suits your needs best.As others suggested, take a 2nd TD at some other showroom before making your choice.

Regards,
Old 28th November 2007, 19:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
i know for sure that 'in_pursuit' hates indica .. but dude indicab is different from xeta. do take a look at it

Otherwise i10 suits your needs best.As others suggested, take a 2nd TD at some other showroom before making your choice.

Regards,
Well.. my job involves so much travel in a Indica, will not even think of owning one!

Check out this thread about the discussion on i10 Handbrakes
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-my-i10-5.html

And about the Alto, apart from the factor of "Everyone owns it", my parents might need the vehicle for occassional long distance travel with a driver(maybe ghat sections) & I want a vehicle which has factory fitted rear-front power windows. So no to Alto. Remember I want to own this one for a long time.. I dont quite think i will be in love with Alto for long.
Old 28th November 2007, 23:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Horribly offbeat suggestion that might get me killed, but here it is:
Mahindra Bolero SLE (Sportz) - covers ALL your points except the height issue - that you'd need to see yourself.

And I myself hate its agricultural sounding engine, but inside, it is an uber comfortable go-anywhere vehicle that does its job well enough

Don't take my word for it - speak to the blr jeep guys. I spent an evening with a jeep/bulleteer friend in blr itself, and came back amazed. Bolero is civilized enough for the city! Covers the ghat angle and would be chill with a driver too - not unless your heart's on the Swift D!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks