Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 22:07   #16
BHPian

I was thinking about MJD but the *** and vehicle build quality (which I have serious doubts about) put me off from this beauty.

Indica is long ruled out as we have owned one before and did not want to buy the same thing again, even with a different engine.

Swift / Getz CRDI are out of budget
Old 9th July 2008, 22:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
After a long time since we thought of getting a new car, we finally decided on a hatch against a big car and planned on selecting one from the following: My budget is 5Lacks max (no give and take)

Hyundai Getz 1.1 GVS
Chevy U-VA 1.2 LS

I test drove both these cars in the last two days and kind of liked the Getz in terms of driving, space, pricing, offers and ***.

I'm deciding this week and have to get the car by next weekend.

Getz - There is Offer of 15k discount + 5K for the tape which i dont want + mud flaps and mats (as usual).

U-VA - Tape (3.5k worth) + 10K discount or 3 year free service contract.

Is there anything I have to think of before going ahead with the Getz?? (Cons).

Please let me know your suggestions at the earliest!!!
You wanted a Diesel as your running is 2000kms+. Why have you started to think about Petrol now?
Palio SDX (Top End) would cost you 5.38L On road & Reagrding FIAT A.S.S., as per what I hear from ownership reviews here on T-BHP, there seems to be a lot of improvement. Re: your doubt on Palio Build, Let me assure you it is built to last a lifetime. It is built like a tank, safe and extremely stable on highways, even at speeds of 150-160. If your doubt is regarding the interiors, they are definately aged and not so eye catching. But this is just a matter of getting used to.

Also, Getz diesel, apart from being out of budget, is also a very less sold vehicle. A.S.S. for this is a doubt, even though Hyundai is known for its A.S.S. The price tag at which it is offered, there are hardly any takers. Not worth at that price (IMO Only)

Indica is a true VFM at the price at which it is offered. (4.8L on road for DICOR). But refinement is a question mark. It has a wide A.S.S. network.

Whatever decision you take, Thinking about going in for a Petrol car is definately going to hurt your pocket considerig your monthly running.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 9th July 2008 at 22:35.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

I wonder how you doubt about palio in bengaluru. They are quite common unlike in Del/Hyd. Infact, what's holding me back is that while 1.2/1.6s are common in delhi, multijet is rare in delhi. for you, i say go ahead. palio is a fantastic buy and definitely VFM compared to other cars you have posted. merchant saab has laid it out well.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Swift is what it should be. A brilliant car with awesome service backup, awesome mileage and decent performance!
Old 10th July 2008, 01:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You wanted a Diesel as your running is 2000kms+. Why have you started to think about Petrol now?
Palio SDX (Top End) would cost you 5.38L On road & Reagrding FIAT A.S.S., as per what I hear from ownership reviews here on T-BHP, there seems to be a lot of improvement. Thinking about going in for a Petrol car is definately going to hurt your pocket considerig your monthly running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Boss,

I wonder how you doubt about palio in bengaluru. They are quite common unlike in Del/Hyd. Infact, what's holding me back is that while 1.2/1.6s are common in delhi, multijet is rare in delhi. for you, i say go ahead. palio is a fantastic buy and definitely VFM compared to other cars you have posted. merchant saab has laid it out well.
Vinit & Phamilyman - After you guys posts, I have decided to take a MJD TD tomorrow from Concorde which is very near to my place and decide on it. The petrol will hurt but there were no diesel options for me in the price bracket. Will TD it and let you know tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The Swift is what it should be. A brilliant car with awesome service backup, awesome mileage and decent performance!
Swift is way out of budget and moreover I dont like the cramped space inside and the less visibility factor on it - makes it very difficult for my wife to drive. I'll have to put a carrier to carry all the luggage whenever on long drives
Old 10th July 2008, 02:12   #21
JRD
BHPian

I think i have to agree with Palio Multi jet.. as far as service network its been improved a LOT especially with the TATA fiat venture..

Ive driven one. I think it should be a good buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Palio SDX (Top End) would cost you 5.38L On road & Reagrding FIAT A.S.S., as per what I hear from ownership reviews here on T-BHP, there seems to be a lot of improvement. Re: your doubt on Palio Build, Let me assure you it is built to last a lifetime. It is built like a tank, safe and extremely stable on highways, even at speeds of 150-160. If your doubt is regarding the interiors, they are definately aged and not so eye catching. But this is just a matter of getting used to.

Also, Getz diesel, apart from being out of budget, is also a very less sold vehicle. A.S.S. for this is a doubt, even though Hyundai is known for its A.S.S. The price tag at which it is offered, there are hardly any takers. Not worth at that price (IMO Only)

Indica is a true VFM at the price at which it is offered. (4.8L on road for DICOR). But refinement is a question mark. It has a wide A.S.S. network.

Whatever decision you take, Thinking about going in for a Petrol car is definately going to hurt your pocket considerig your monthly running.
Old 10th July 2008, 02:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

well you said you want a reliable car on highways so my two suggestions are renault logan diesel or the swift diesel( if mostly self driven and dont need to much space)

well the logan for the mahindra service network and low running costs.

swift for the same reason and i hear from a fellow bhpian the new swift is improved and has no rattles till date, he has done 4000+kms on his brand new swift diesel the member is zenopio!

you might just want to give a good look at the now indigo CS that seems to be a well improved car after the test drive and is definitely VFM @ approx5Lacs on road!
Old 10th July 2008, 02:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well you said you want a reliable car on highways so my two suggestions are renault logan diesel or the swift diesel( if mostly self driven and dont need to much space)

well the logan for the mahindra service network and low running costs.

swift for the same reason and i hear from a fellow bhpian the new swift is improved and has no rattles till date, he has done 4000+kms on his brand new swift diesel the member is zenopio!

you might just want to give a good look at the now indigo CS that seems to be a well improved car after the test drive and is definitely VFM @ approx5Lacs on road!

Logan and swift are out as i have answered previously - please check my posts on this thread.

Indigo CS also, having owned an Indica for 2 years before, did not want to drive the same vehicle, though i understand that it is much better now then the older one but still the same feeling.
Old 10th July 2008, 04:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a few Palios, and I can safely say they have an excellent build quality, Ride and Handling characteristics. And I had also test-driven a swift MJD when it was launched in the Raj Bhavan stretch in Hyderabad - and I was one hell of an engine. So I can safely say you cant go wrong with a Palio MJD - give it a shot, am sure you cant go wrong!
Old 10th July 2008, 12:56   #25
BHPian

Swift VDi anyday

Palio - is a good car, comfortable, spacious, it handles well (not very involving)). Its that simple.
But, its the service that you need to worry about.

Logan - Its ugly, ok for value, space and good ride (value is ok since Dezire looks more tempting ) and if you do the driving you might want to spend 30k on pete's thingy

Tata - Indigo/Indica or whatever... Please don't buy IMO. Its good as a vehicle to be driven in. If you want to drive on your own, please don't buy.

Swift - This a good car if you love to drive. ride is ok, space too is just ok.
good service network (does't mean its always good service). You can never go wrong with this.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Logan and swift are out as i have answered previously - please check my posts on this thread.

Indigo CS also, having owned an Indica for 2 years before, did not want to drive the same vehicle, though i understand that it is much better now then the older one but still the same feeling.
well what are the other cars you short listed? i dont find any other diesel cars in the small car range with the kind of requirements you had in mind, can you?
Old 10th July 2008, 21:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Corsalove:

I have no intention to hurt you, but:

1)
The price range you have, here its difficult to find a car if you dont want Palio and Indica.

2)
Your location is Banglore. I dont think that you will face a lot of problems with A.S & S. ( After Sales and Service ). More over the joint venture with TATA has surely made the things go in positive manner. Agreed that the standards are not high, but they are much better than what they were.

2)
As we all know, Indica is going to be phased out, so with Indica you will be able to get a good deal i.e. discounts. I know your experience with Indica is not good, but in the specified price range, its difficult to satisfy all needs.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@Corsalove:

2)
As we all know, Indica is going to be phased out, so with Indica you will be able to get a good deal i.e. discounts. I know your experience with Indica is not good, but in the specified price range, its difficult to satisfy all needs.
Slightly unrelated to the topic of the thread but:

The industry grapevine says that the new Indica - V3 or whatever they call it - will be positioned above the existing V2 model. Both models will continue selling. This strategy would be similar to Maruti selling three generations of Alto as: M800, Zen(now discontinued) and Alto
Old 10th July 2008, 22:48   #29
BHPian

My friend , do try the Palio 1.3 MJD..something tells me you will decide on it if you do a TD
Old 10th July 2008, 23:46   #30
BHPian

Getz CRDI if u love driving.

Most Viewed