Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2004, 19:38   #1

Want to know more about Indica V2 Petrol

Hey Guys,

I was going thro' bhp forums and found that there is nothing on Indica V2 petrol cars. I could pick up lot of information about Indica diesel but nothing on the petrol version.
I am planning to buy a car and because of obivous space requirements and low budget drew me towards Indica. My original preference was either Zen or Santro but now I am seriously thinking of Indica also.
But I couldn't pick up anything on Indica petrol. I would like to what are your experiences as far as petrol versions are concerned, in terms of
1) Mileage
2) Maintenance
3) About its performance with AC on.

It would be great if you could help me this.

Thanks,
Panini.
Old 24th December 2004, 20:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

how abt the base getz.its a better buy than an indica.the actual USP of an indica is its diesel engine.and that too because of its FE.at present its the only diesel ,the other being the zen with the TUD5.
but wat after the swift and fiat cums with the JTD .

why dont u look at the Getz or maybe wait to see how the 1.3 swift is and then decide.
as euro-3 norms are due,i think one shud defer from buying any new car now,as the engine specs are bound to change.
so why not wait.
Old 24th December 2004, 20:10   #3
BHPian

If you are going for Indica then go for diesel as the petrol Indica are not so refined car as Zen or Santro or better still wait for the swift launch as it is going to be launched with the 1.3 ltr esteem engine and will be priced around 4.5 to 5 lac.
Old 24th December 2004, 21:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

hi there,

i used to own a 2002 indica v2 petrol...

Mileage
Around 8-9kmpl in city and 15-16kmpl on the highway.

Mantainence
I didnt get a spot of trouble in 2 years of ownership and 35000kms.

Performance
It was really good for a small car even with the AC running.

Neways, the only problem is the fuel economy and if you drive around a lot it can be a pain. The car is extremely robust...drive it hard even then it will not give you problems...bad roads are dealt with easily. The car has lots of glass area so the cabin can take a little longer than others to cool. Spares are cheap and after sales service is decent. And to top it all its one of the most comfortable cars available in the market. Yes refinement is a bit lower than others. The engine is a touch noisy...but stretch it to the red line and the sound can be addctive to some people. (t was to me)

If fuel economy matters to you then i suggest you look at the xing or the marutis. Even the getz will give you similar economy figures to the indica. But if FE is not much of a concern...then buy this car. Offers unbeatable value for money. Go in for the LSi model. It has power steering which is a must and should be in your budget as well. But make sure you test drive all the cars before making your decision.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 24th December 2004 at 21:37.
Old 24th December 2004, 22:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Indica Petrol is a no no. Better look at the base Getz, Opel corsa sail or Fiat Palio NV.
Old 24th December 2004, 23:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Indica Petrol is a no no. Better look at the base Getz, Opel corsa sail or Fiat Palio NV.

justify

Drifter
Old 24th December 2004, 23:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infront of all other hatchbacks like Getz, Corsa Sail and Palio NV (Never) the Indica is definately a money saver and you get a good engine, space and everything else. Agreed you dont get that Brand Name as the other hatches do but..that names comes at a price!!!
Old 25th December 2004, 00:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

THe price at which Indica comes compesates for the low FE

So I think buying a INdica V2 Petrol is a decent option if not the best
Old 25th December 2004, 19:04   #9

Quote:
i used to own a 2002 indica v2 petrol...

Mileage
Around 8-9kmpl in city and 15-16kmpl on the highway.

Mantainence
I didnt get a spot of trouble in 2 years of ownership and 35000kms.

Performance
It was really good for a small car even with the AC running.
Hey panini,
i also have an indica v2 petrol 2002 model and my experience is similar to drifter's.
Mileage around 8-9 km/l in city 10-12 on highway.
The car is very sturdy and can take a lot of punishment. Hasnt given me any major problems even after 45000 kms.
With the a/c on there is no significant change in the performance which is one of the plus points of the car.

Summary,
for the car:
-cheap even the highest version (power steering, auto windows, sunglass holder etc) is affordable
-sturdy
-powerful compared to the other cars in its segment
-cheaper to maintain

against the car:
-poor average
-lousy gear shift
-its a tall car with a soft suspension so no handbrake turns or fast cornering

hope this helps
alap.
Old 27th December 2004, 10:58   #10

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your inputs.

I think I will wait till Swift is out in market. Over the weekend, I also carried out some onsite research like going to mechanic and all.

I think I will wait a little more and see what happens next. Well, the new thing I came to know was that of EURO III engine.

Thanks,
Panini.
Old 27th December 2004, 23:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

i have never owned an indica but have driven ; both the petrol and diesel ones .
the petrol indica i think is great value for money , and it does not make you feel that your driving a hatch at all , though the engine lacks refinement but somehow you don't really feel the load on the engine , the 75 horses execute the job beautifully .
and the room inside the car can put to shame more than half the mid-sizers we have in india .
abt the zen i think maruti messed up with the new look and the car does not even match your requirements of decent room !
santro somehwe has never appealed to me , i had one a couple of years back and drove it i think arnd 20 times in 2 whole years ( so you know what i mean ) , and the only reason we bought it was coz we thought we needed a change after re;peating quit a few zens for home & office use since its launch in 1993 , infat just when i bought the above mentioned santro we had to buy another small car for home use and then came another zen ! !

manson .

Most Viewed