Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Replacement for Zen

Hello everyone,

I have test driven most of the B+ and C segment cars in my endeavour to replace my aging Zen. I have all but decided on the Getz as it satisfies every criterion that my wife and I are looking for in a new car. However the following questions are bugging me to think whether I should go for the Honda City instead, though I don't really feel the need for a boot.

1. Easy availability of spares in the future as the City is a very popular model?
2. Honda reliability means less trips to the mechanic as the car ages?
3. The City is already E10 compliant - so no unnecessary tinkering with the engine if the govt. decideds to switch to E10
4. The City is probably a tad safer than the Getz?

Please let me know your opinions w.r.t. these two cars.

Cars short listed - Hyundai Getz, Honda City
Price range - upto 8 lakhs
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - Would like the car to be attended to by trained professionals and ready availability of parts
Average distance traveled per month - 1000 to 1200 kms
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - mostly city with a monthly highway drive
Chauffer driven / self driven - self driven
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - wife will also drive
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - smooth gear shift, comfortable and relatively silent cabin, easy ingress and egress.
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - long term. I like to keep the car as long as it performs well without requiring frequent trips to the mechanic

Thanks in advance,
Amit.
Old 7th December 2007, 21:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
1. Easy availability of spares in the future as the City is a very popular model?
Hyundai is know for quality service. Don't think spares will be a problem with the Getz.
Quote:
Hyundai badge may not match Honda, but hyundai makes good reliable cars in India. However, Honda still is ahead, no doubt.
Quote:
3. The City is already E10 compliant - so no unnecessary tinkering with the engine if the govt. decideds to switch to E10
Even if they switch to E10, it will be for new cars, not the ones already on the roads.
Quote:
If you are willing to pay 10L for the variant with ABS, airbags. Then yes, City is lot more safer.
Old 7th December 2007, 23:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:

Please let me know your opinions w.r.t. these two cars.

Cars short listed - Hyundai Getz, Honda City
Price range - upto 8 lakhs
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - Would like the car to be attended to by trained professionals and ready availability of parts
Average distance traveled per month - 1000 to 1200 kms
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - mostly city with a monthly highway drive
Chauffer driven / self driven - self driven
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - wife will also drive
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - smooth gear shift, comfortable and relatively silent cabin, easy ingress and egress.
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - long term. I like to keep the car as long as it performs well without requiring frequent trips to the mechanic

Thanks in advance,
Amit.
Nice, clear post. In terms of sheer reliability there cannot be a better shortlist than you have arrived at.

With your budget and requirements the City GXi (without Vtec) would be the perfect CAR. And trust me a the Getz GLX (with ABS) would be a close second.

All things that you mentioned like good A.S.S., smooth gearshift, comfort, long term reliability, silent cabin etc are present in both.

While the City does have a slight advantage in terms of resale, brand value and interiors it would not get you ABS or Airbags (only in Vtec). The Getz GLX on the other hand apart from being a whole lot cheaper would atleast get you an ABS.

really its your call!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 7th December 2007 at 23:10.
Old 8th December 2007, 00:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Amit, you have narrowed it down to 2 very good cars.

IMO, buy the City - you will never regret it. For a simple reason that if you can afford it, it is a much better bet compared to Getz - space, comfort and of course, the Honda reliability.
Old 8th December 2007, 07:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Getz CRDi

How about a Getz CRDi? 108BHp!!! Only thing really lacking for that power is ABS. Think about it. For 8 lacs, you get a Honda City EXi OTR Bangalore. Am not sure whether you get the GXi even...
Old 8th December 2007, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to clarify in my original post that I was debating between the Getz 1.3 GLS/GLX and the City Exi/Gxi, but judging from the replies, I guess that was reasonably clear to everyone.

Out of curiosity, could someone tell me how to edit previous posts?

Amit.
Old 8th December 2007, 14:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Out of curiosity, could someone tell me how to edit previous posts?
You can do that within 20 mins of posting. After that only MODS can do that.

Just the right bottom edge of the post, next to QUOTE, there will be an edit button.
Old 15th January 2008, 14:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Julian, Nice meeting you. Must be the first TBHPian I have met (Other than my cousin, of course) !

I thought u were getting an FFE for ur Zen!! Why are u planning to replace it?
Old 15th January 2008, 14:36   #9
BANNED

Both cars are excellent. Hyundai service is cheap and easily available. Also, I hear that Hyundai are tough on their dealerships in the area of service. Honda City is a different world altogether. I will suggest the GXi or VTec. The LXi is a bit too basic. Honda engines and gearboxes are brilliant, and they hold their value better than the Getz, which is not very popular either.

Frankly, you are looking at two different segments. The Honda is tops in its segment. The only flies in the pie are cost and that it is likely to be replaced sometimes this year. The Getz has been done in on the marketplace by the Swift.
Old 15th January 2008, 14:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift ZXi comes loaded with Airbags and ABS and is lot cheaper than the city.

Both the city and getz are sold in international markets and they have good NCAP safety rating so safety should not be a concern while choosing amongst them.
Old 15th January 2008, 15:01   #11
BHPian

Can anyone tell me how much Getz 1.3 all models cost on road in delhi? Dont want to start a seperate thread just for this question and is there any site where i can regularly check ups and downs of prices of different cars. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2008, 15:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Can anyone tell me how much Getz 1.3 all models cost on road in delhi? Dont want to start a seperate thread just for this question and is there any site where i can regularly check ups and downs of prices of different cars. Thanks.
Try the hyundai website for prices in various cities.
Old 15th January 2008, 15:34   #13
BHPian

Getz might be good from Enthusiasts point of view, however if I could have afforded one, I would have gone for a City..its a different Genre all together. Its a successful car, with amazing resale value. However I seriously doubt the practicality and resale of Getz, as it has been drubbed in its class itself by other cars !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks