Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 19:21   #16
BANNED

gary4gar, since you dad will be running into plenty of rural areas, with bad roads and 200 to 350 KM away from major cities, and approx 50 Km from major highways, I suspect getting LPG will be a problem for at least another 3 years.
Go in for TURBO Indica - FE averages 21 KMPL according to all taxi drivers and operators I know. (that is in Kerala, where the entire state is one one big metro.)
At the distances you will be doing, I do think that more than FE, after 18 months or so, you will be more bothered with total cost of ownership (spares, etc).
I do think that given the conditions in which the car will be used, you may be better off with Indica.
You may however be advised to change over to alloy wheels - Indica OE rims are prone to bends due to the heavy weight of the car. I am only recommending that you use rims because you say your father will be diving to far off places, where I suspect the roads may not be very good.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:23   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post
i also think so but someone said indica being a Diesel car will have high maintenance costs & also Diesel engines die out faster
May be, may not be. What counts is that if this is really true, the taxis, who average 5K km per MONTH to break even, will not be going in for Indicas.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Indica... its a no brainer. The wagon-r duo would average less on LPG than it does on petrol. Even running on LPG Wagon-R will be more expensive to run compared to an Indica. Indica is a very underrated car, its a hell lot better than the Wagon-R (no offence to anyone). Looking for a small car option with alternate fuel, Santro with CNG makes more sense keeping in mind everything you want out of your car.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:19   #19
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys or replies, i will refer this thread to my dad, hopefully we would get it as a new year gift

but i am concerned as someone sad that prices are increasing in new year?
Old 25th December 2007, 21:23   #20
BHPian

I own WagonR duo for last 3 months and have done about 3000 kms till now. I will post my experiences after 5000 km. I had a tough time to choose between Wagon R Duo and Indica turbo DLG, cost almost similar.... but I chose Duo, reason? Quite simple
"You have to be lucky to get a good Indica but you have to be unlucky to get a bad maruti car".
Its the brand reliability that was one of the foremost reasons to select DUO, and I am pretty happy with her!
Old 26th December 2007, 12:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Defn LPG won't give u better FE than Indica Turbo Diesel.
Now the LPG is More less equal to diesel's cost.
Diesel cars gives better FE than LPG fitted cars.
Go for Diesel car.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think the parameters should be like this:

1. Space: Indica turbo
2. Mileage : Indica
3. Cost per Km.:Indica- Rs.1.82 - Rs.31 per litre @ 17 kms
Wagon R LPG: Rs.2 - Rs.28 per litre @ 14 kms
4. Service network: Wagon R is the clear winner here
5. After sales: Maruti has better resale value than Tata. I tell this from experience
6. Driveability: Power steering of Wagon R is far superior to Indica. Indica Power steering is quite hard (in experience terms, its like steering through Mud as against steering through butter of Wagon R).
7. POwer: Turbo and Wagon R may be evenly matched here, although I would give higher points to Wagon R here.
8. Initial cost: I think the on-road of the DLG turbo is lesser than the Wagon R Duo. Pls check this
9. Life cycle: Both cars are on their end of the life cycle: Indica is coming out with Version 3 DICOR in 2008, so V2 Turbo will become outdated soon. Wagon R can also expect to take a new avatar sometime in 2008. So no choice here.

On the basis of the above, decide your drive and drivability and make the choice. You will not regret either ways.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I think the parameters should be like this:

1. Space: Indica turbo
2. Mileage : Indica
3. Cost per Km.:Indica- Rs.1.82 - Rs.31 per litre @ 17 kms
Wagon R LPG: Rs.2 - Rs.28 per litre @ 14 kms
4. Service network: Wagon R is the clear winner here
5. After sales: Maruti has better resale value than Tata. I tell this from experience
6. Driveability: Power steering of Wagon R is far superior to Indica. Indica Power steering is quite hard (in experience terms, its like steering through Mud as against steering through butter of Wagon R).
7. POwer: Turbo and Wagon R may be evenly matched here, although I would give higher points to Wagon R here.
8. Initial cost: I think the on-road of the DLG turbo is lesser than the Wagon R Duo. Pls check this
9. Life cycle: Both cars are on their end of the life cycle: Indica is coming out with Version 3 DICOR in 2008, so V2 Turbo will become outdated soon. Wagon R can also expect to take a new avatar sometime in 2008. So no choice here.

On the basis of the above, decide your drive and drivability and make the choice. You will not regret either ways.

keeping in mind your requirment and above mantioned points you shold go in for an Indiaca.
Old 27th December 2007, 14:02   #24
tez
BHPian

if u are waiting till Jan, why not look out for Fiat Palio 1.3 MJD. With the a strong built, good handling along with diesel, it could be another good option.
Old 31st December 2007, 16:08   #25
BHPian

is Indica high in maintenance and spares parts?
Old 31st December 2007, 20:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post
is Indica high in maintenance and spares parts?
If it was it would never have been a taxi. Besides wagon-r cant take even half the amount of abuse the indica can. Also the indica would be safer, active and passive both. Frankly I would not dare to go out on a highway with my family in a Wagon-R.
Old 31st December 2007, 20:27   #27
BHPian

someone said new version of indica is round ther courner, anyone can give more details on it.
Old 31st December 2007, 20:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If it was it would never have been a taxi. Besides wagon-r cant take even half the amount of abuse the indica can.
Well my wagonR takes a lot of abuse from me, being driven on broken roads of DLF and potholes of MG-Road everyday. Touch wood it does't feel like falling apart yet (Done ~40k). Only thing is, the plastics show their age very quickly. :(

Quote:
Also the indica would be safer, active and passive both.
If you are talking about the Indica Turbo with ABS and Airbags, and comparing with a bare bone wagonR, yes, you are right. But not without it. Franky i won't arrive at a conclusion unless i have the crash test ratings of both handy.

Quote:
Frankly I would not dare to go out on a highway with my family in a Wagon-R.
You are talking as if its an OMNI.
Please don't form your opinions based just on the height or the tall boy stance. Their is so much more to highway stability and safety. Again, I would not like to arrive at a decision just aise he.
Old 31st December 2007, 21:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Frankly I would not dare to go out on a highway with my family in a Wagon-R.
My WagonR is now at 42,500 kms+ and managing fine till now. Have done highway trips without any big problems (with family).

Anyways, you are entitled to your opinion! Hope it comes from experience and not prejudice!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st December 2007 at 21:06.
Old 31st December 2007, 21:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Well my wagonR takes a lot of abuse from me, being driven on broken roads of DLF and potholes of MG-Road everyday. Touch wood it does't feel like falling apart yet (Done ~40k). Only thing is, the plastics show their age very quickly. :(
I have been in various indica cab having more than 80k's on the odo and a wagon-r cab with 25k's on the odo, so talking out of experience.
Its not that indica was rattle free infact far from it, but wagon-r was worse.
Talking of private owners, one of my friend drives a 70k old indica NA engine with hardly a squeak or rattle from anywhere.

Quote:
If you are talking about the Indica Turbo with ABS and Airbags, and comparing with a bare bone wagonR, yes, you are right. But not without it. Franky i won't arrive at a conclusion unless i have the crash test ratings of both handy.
I am not saying wagon-r is unsafe, what I am saying here is that Indica is safer. I am its pretty obvious why, if you still dont believe me just have a look at crashed indica's and wagon-r's lying in stock yards of various showrooms.

Quote:
You are talking as if its an OMNI.
Please don't form your opinions based just on the height or the tall boy stance. Their is so much more to highway stability and safety. Again, I would not like to arrive at a decision just aise he.
This is just my opinion and this is how I feel
There have been times when I had to swerve at 90-100 kph on highways in my palio due to some morons and their stupid ways of driving. Cant even think of doing that in a wagon-r. I am not saying it cant or will not be able to manage but its just what I feel, no offences meant to any owners.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 31st December 2007 at 21:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks