Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 22:42   #1
BHPian

Fight: Maruti Wagon R Duo Vs. Indica Diesel

Hello All,
My dad is looking to for a car in a budget of below 4L, we looked in the market in for a car and found 2 suitable ones
  • Maruti Wagan R Duo
  • Indica Diesel
Our requirements:-
  1. The car will be running around 1500-2000km per month
  2. low running(cost per Km) & maintenance cost(sevice & spares)
  3. heavy duty & easy availability of spares
  4. good looks & comfort
the car will mainly be used by my dad for going office & some outside tours in radius of 350-400km. some of his tours runs in remote places.

but 20 days in month the car will be running in city traffic of jaipur which is not freat

so which is better to my requirements??

Last edited by DCEite : 10th December 2007 at 10:20. Reason: typo
Old 10th December 2007, 10:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post
Hello All,
  1. The car will be running around 1500-2000km per day
i think its a typo

and looking at all your requirement a indica will suit you much better and it will have even lower cost of running and it more spacious and comfortable and IMO the indica looks way better than the new wangon r

i would suggest go for the indica DLG turbo the most VFM option in indica stable
Old 10th December 2007, 10:05   #3
BHPian

its 1500-2000km per month
and around 50-60 km per day
can be more on some days then cars runs on highways
Old 10th December 2007, 10:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i think its a typo

and looking at all your requirement a indica will suit you much better and it will have even lower cost of running and it more spacious and comfortable and IMO the indica looks way better than the new wangon r

i would suggest go for the indica DLG turbo the most VFM option in indica stable
i also think so but someone said indica being a Diesel car will have high maintenance costs & also Diesel engines die out faster :S

no clue of this is correct ?
also cost per km is lower in Wangan R is lower due to LPG as it comes for 28Rs a litre
can desiel is costly than it
Old 10th December 2007, 10:48   #5
BANNED

Indica Diesel is d option which suits to your requirment. Wagain R is also good buy but LPG rates are increasing day by day, Its 31Rs in Mumbai, Go for Diesel car

Regards,
Jitendra

Last edited by nicejits : 10th December 2007 at 10:58.
Old 10th December 2007, 12:15   #6
tez
BHPian

i would say go for a tata indica diesel turbo. Agreed that LPG is cheaper than diesel but indica gives a mileage of around 17 in city. Wagon R on LPG would give a bit lesser than Wagon R on petrol.
Moreover diesel's availability is more than LPG?
Old 10th December 2007, 13:22   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Indica has far better manners on the highway. Your running is a lot, and if your father is going to be chauffeur-driven...its a no-brainer. The Indica it is.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Indica has far better manners on the highway. Your running is a lot, and if your father is going to be chauffeur-driven...its a no-brainer. The Indica it is.
I own a WagonR Petrol. Have to agree with GTO. If you father is going to be chauffer-driven, Indica has more comfortable rear seats compared to the WagonR.

However, if he is driving himself, take a TD of both cars and decide. WagonR is pretty easy to drive. Both the cars are nearing the end of their life cycles, anyway.

And... If i had to choose between these two, would have gone for Indica turbo!
Old 10th December 2007, 14:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

Sitting in the back seat? Its the indica. For self drive around 1000kms a month the wagor R will be better.
As for engines dying, you don't have to worry about that for atleast 120K kms if you follow the regular maintenance schedules.
Change all the belts on time, and service done according to schedule.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:08   #10
BHPian

The Indica would be a better option. Considering that your dad will be travelling to interiors, the availability of LPG could become a problem for him. Also the Indica comes with broader tyres as compared to the Wagon R giving it the edge.
As far as looks go, it’s a matter of personal liking.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
what did you mean by far better manners on the highway?, powerfull engine??
The car would be driven by my father & me, so how is the car in handling?
and is indica comfortable for long rides?
Quote:
i would say go for a tata indica diesel turbo. Agreed that LPG is cheaper than diesel but indica gives a mileage of around 17 in city. Wagon R on LPG would give a bit lesser than Wagon R on petrol.
Moreover diesel's availability is more than LPG?
hmmm..here in my city LGP is around Rs.28 & wagan R will give a avg of around 15 the dealer told. whereas as indica gives out 17 as you guys have told and the price of Diesel is Rs.38( not sure, never bothered to check)

so cost per km works out to be
Wagan R on LPG - 1.86Rs.
Wagan R on Petrol - 3.3Rs.
Indica - 2.23Rs.

on cost per Km wagan R is cheaper , but what about Indica
are spares & service of Indica cheaper than wagan R??

Quote:
Indica Diesel is d option which suits to your requirment. Wagain R is also good buy but LPG rates are increasing day by day, Its 31Rs in Mumbai, Go for Diesel car

Regards,
Jitendra
so will it rise to a level that it will become costlier than diesel itself?

I Too agree that Indica is a rock solid car & is suited for me but some doubts/myths( whatever you assume)

1) Low resale value
2) service network is not as vast as maruti's
3) Taxi Look
4) frequent breakdown & lifetime is shorter. i don't want to get stuck in no man land & just watch & watch for some miracle to happen

[offtopic]
Thank you all four replies
its my first post here & i tell you guys & this forum rocks!
i Will be regular here from now on[/offtopic]

Old 10th December 2007, 14:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

The Indica's rear space is not cluttered with a spare tire as in the case of the Duo.

in this case, you do get more car per car for the Indica.

My Wagon R does not like bad roads. She gets all creaky and noisy, if I push her on them. Consider road conditions before buying your car.

Wagon R is the city slicker, while Indica is the rural ganglord.

I think the above line is funny. If anyone is offended, I am sorry. But hey lets laugh it off.
Old 10th December 2007, 15:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

The New Wagon R is useless on highways (old one had better stability). Haven't driven the new Indica but it should be better.

Shan2nu
Old 10th December 2007, 15:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very simple.
As someone said, if chauffeured, than Indica is a no brainer. The backseat of WagonR is pathetic, the comfort levels are no way near Indica.
However, if you or your father is going to drive everyday, the WagonR DUO makes for a great choice, being light,nimble and quick, and having effortless power steering which makes city driving a breeze.

Regarding highway manners, yes the Indica is a lot more stable than the tall boy, but the WR is not as bad as you might think.

Cost of spares, very cheap for the Maruti. Rock solid reliability as well. Can't comment on Indica, as i havn't owned one. But heard that things are improving as far as build quality and reliability is concerned. The cost of spare parts are dirt cheap though.
Old 10th December 2007, 15:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post
price of Diesel is Rs.38( not sure, never bothered to check)
Please check the exact price of diesel in Jaipur. In Delhi, it is 30.4 for normal diesel

Most Viewed