Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Small car, all safety features, below 6L

A friend of mine - my boss's wife, a child psychologist - is looking for a small car. Self driven, will be used purely for city commuting, but safety and comfort are the highest priority, means -- good ride comfort and options of ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must. AT is desired option, but can do without. And one single feature should be "trouble free" (which actually rules many options out )

Additional requirements: should be easy for elder people to get in and out and once in a while it might be taken to a highway. Fuel efficiency or resale is not a concern. Should be small, easy to park (visibility). Her husband drives a Civic AT, and she currently drives a 1996 Cielo AT!!! Budget is not an issue, but setting a limit of 6L. For a good candidate, it is flexible.

After going round and round, we keep coming back to Spark. Other than it is 'yet-another-car-from-GM', is it the right choice? The second option is the Zen Estilo as it comes with an AT. My boss is trying to push the purchase till the launch of Fabia with the PD engine :-)

The also rans were Swift - small rear glasshouse, visibility, wider towards bottom; Getz - very spacious but too big and too low; Fusion - no ABS or airbag as options, also big; the height and visibility makes this a good compromise option; Santro - didnt like the ride; Palio - big and sturdy, but road visibility is a concern and no airbag options. Anything missing here?

Any other suggestions to "Small reliable car, ALL safety options, comfortable ride, round about 6L"? Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Actually the Swift ZXi seems to be the ideal car for her.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think the i10 might be the answer
Old 10th December 2007, 20:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Actually the Swift ZXi seems to be the ideal car for her.
I agree I have the same car and feature at that price are quite good.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:45   #5
BHPian

If he can wait for the fabia, wouldn't that be a better choice? It may be more expensive than the swift, but I'm sure the quality and safety features will be better than the swift.

Last edited by hyper123 : 10th December 2007 at 20:46.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must.
Within 6L, with ABS/EBD/Airbags. I guess the options are limited to the i10 and the Swift (leaving Estilo/Spark etc). Of which my choice would defenitly be the Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
If he can wait for the fabia, wouldn't that be a better choice?
Since the design is almost same, and size is a bit more. The negatives he has mentioned about the Swift would only be more on the Fabia.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th December 2007 at 20:49.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:56   #7
BHPian

Size is not the only thing. Visibility depends on the driving position and the area of the greenhouse. Swift's small rear window kills visibility. I think the pros out-weigh the cons.
Old 10th December 2007, 21:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

wait for the i10 to come out with an auto.
Old 10th December 2007, 21:25   #9
BHPian

Agree with others, I10 AT could be a prime candidate. It may be a bit pricey, but then you dont get many options with an auto tranny anyways. Plus, the fetaure list seems to be long. My vote for I10.
Old 10th December 2007, 21:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
wait for the i10 to come out with an auto.
This months Overdrive says i10 is available with the option of auto tranny which used to come in the Santro.

Might be a mistake!
Old 10th December 2007, 21:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
"Small reliable car, ALL safety options, comfortable ride, round about 6L"?
SKODA Fabia would be the all rounder for you, but have to wait for 1 month and stretch the budget slightly but sure no more disappointments.............You will get all you want
Old 10th December 2007, 22:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its Swift ZXi. If they are looking at comfort, let me tell you that I felt that the front seats of the swift are more comfy than the i10, although I agree that the rear seats of i10 are more comfortable. I thought this is because of the narrowness of the i10. I really don't think the wider-towards-bottom is much of a concern. And you can overcome the rear visibility issues by opting for optional parking sensors also.

Also, I don't feel that the Fabia having the ABS/EBD, airbags will come at a price tag of below 6l.
Old 10th December 2007, 22:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine - my boss's wife, a child psychologist - is looking for a small car. Self driven, will be used purely for city commuting, but safety and comfort are the highest priority, means -- good ride comfort and options of ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must. AT is desired option, but can do without. And one single feature should be "trouble free" (which actually rules many options out )

Additional requirements: should be easy for elder people to get in and out and once in a while it might be taken to a highway. Fuel efficiency or resale is not a concern. Should be small, easy to park (visibility). Her husband drives a Civic AT, and she currently drives a 1996 Cielo AT!!! Budget is not an issue, but setting a limit of 6L. For a good candidate, it is flexible.

After going round and round, we keep coming back to Spark. Other than it is 'yet-another-car-from-GM', is it the right choice? The second option is the Zen Estilo as it comes with an AT. My boss is trying to push the purchase till the launch of Fabia with the PD engine :-)
i10, Opt for Magna-O,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Within 6L, with ABS/EBD/Airbags. I guess the options are limited to the i10 and the Swift (leaving Estilo/Spark etc). Of which my choice would defenitly be the Swift.
I too heard that there is an auto but! it comes only as Era spec and not as Magna spec, a shame!
Old 10th December 2007, 23:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Below 6L the cars coming with ABS and Airbags
1. Swift
2. Indica
3. i10

Fabia? I thought we are talking 6L. Fabia is going to be atleast 6.5L Ex showroom
Old 10th December 2007, 23:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fusion, not sure if it comes with ABS, airbags though, but 7lac up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks