Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2004, 09:47   #1

m800 vs alto

i am getting a new car but the budget is under 3 lakhs.

my options are m800 and alto (ac, non ac doesnt matter)

what i want to know is what is better when u comparen m800 std and alto std.

there arent any performance figures available for the m800. and the reviews are quite old.

the alto has apparently been beefed up. now it has 47bhp as compared to m800's 37.

any opinions,reviews on head-to-head?
Old 26th December 2004, 10:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as performance is concerned.. if you are going from point A to point B in city traffic, both Alto and 800 will take you in same time.... BHP figures dont matter much here... infact if you ask me, i have driven both, but found 800 to be a bit more zippy....

Safety features wise, Alto beats 800... Alto has been rated one of the most safest small indian cars.... so on that front Alto is clearly the winner

Fuel efficiency: expect 800 to have slightly better efficiency ... but dont forget Alto has 5th gear.. so if ur going to drive above 60kmph most of the time, you wont notice much F.E. difference...

all in all, i would recommend Alto... since it is more of a modern car with good safety features and decent fuel economy...
Old 26th December 2004, 11:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

I remember, last year, I accompanied my collegue who wanted to buy a car to a Maruti dealership. The choice was actually predecided - Maruti 800. However, since we had the opportunity, we decided to check out the other products too. The Wagon R was too boxy for his liking and the Zen was outside his budget. But, the Alto LXi, which was a little over 3 Lacs was definitely impressive. That's understandable, because it's 2 generations newer than the 800. Handling, braking, stability, safety, looks, ride, comfort and performance are areas where the Alto well and truly outclasses the old 800. Price and fuel economy wise, the Alto is a little more expensive, but, when you consider the the car's strong points, these two points can be overlooked. If you're not on a tight budget, go straight for the Alto. It's definitely worth the extra cash.
Old 26th December 2004, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

The safety aspect alone makes the alto a winner in my opinion.

Drifter
Old 26th December 2004, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Qouting Decite :

[color=red]all in all, i would recommend Alto... since it is more of a modern car with good safety features and decent fuel economy...[/color]

[color=#ff0000][/color]

[color=red] [/color][color=royalblue]totally[/color]

[color=royalblue]and the alto now with the lowest version sporting a price tag of 2.3 Lacs is awesome VFM !![/color]

[color=royalblue]cheers[/color]

Last edited by normally_crazy : 26th December 2004 at 13:00.
Old 26th December 2004, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

the ans is pretty obvious.
i dunno why is maruti still continuing with the M800.its simply eating into the Alto sales.
the alto is more modern ,more safe.u can make out the diffrence when u close th doors of both cars.the 'thud'in the alto feels like a more expensive car.
speaking of tech specs---
.alto has 4 valves/cylinder.so definitely the power,torque adn almost every performance fiure will be better than the 2 valve/cylinder M800.
also maybe ,3-4 years down the line,if u want to sell ur car,the alto will have abtter resale value.
go for it.
i thnk the PS equipped Alto wud be abtter buy.
Old 26th December 2004, 15:00   #7

thx for the quick replies.

however, as dceite mentioned, i have heard similar user reviews.

ppl do say that despite the power disadvantage, m800 is faster and also handles much better. this is the point i want to verify and small 10 minute test rides may/may not be enuf to answer it.

becoz if what they say is indeed true, and m800 turns out to be faster, handles better and the already obvious advantages it has (more frugal and cheaper price tag)...it takes out a huge chunk of alto advantage (even tho if mite be safer and 2 generations ahead of the 800).

i do remember seeing an overdrive comparo a long time back. at that point, the 800 beat the alto in all the 4 depts i mentioned...dunno if the position has still changed. opinions?
Old 26th December 2004, 17:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Simply put - Go for the Alto. Compared to the 800, its worth even double the premium more. Its so superior to the 800 that I'd need an entire harddrive to fill up with the benefits.

GTO
Old 26th December 2004, 17:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

the M800 that beat the alto was one with 4 valves/cylinder.the present M800 has only 2.
the M800 was faster as it had a lower weight advantage.
and dude think of ur reasale value about 4-5 years down the line.forget 4-5 years,even now ,the alto will get a higher rate in the second hand market.
Old 26th December 2004, 18:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Alto........ its much more modern a car..So obvioulsy it is much more advanced in terms of design and safety.
Old 26th December 2004, 19:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatp
thx for the quick replies.

however, as dceite mentioned, i have heard similar user reviews.

ppl do say that despite the power disadvantage, m800 is faster and also handles much better. this is the point i want to verify and small 10 minute test rides may/may not be enuf to answer it.

becoz if what they say is indeed true, and m800 turns out to be faster, handles better and the already obvious advantages it has (more frugal and cheaper price tag)...it takes out a huge chunk of alto advantage (even tho if mite be safer and 2 generations ahead of the 800).
The M800 may be faster in straight line acceleration. But i doubt it'd have superior handling to the alto. All things considered, close ur eyes and pick the alto.
Old 26th December 2004, 21:05   #12
BHPian

If u ask me, I will say go for M800. Its THE BEST car in its catagory. Alto will give u some more features i agree. But the fuel economy; well, there is no one who can catch up M800. I feel that maruti is unnecessorily substituting alto for 800. Thats it.
Old 27th December 2004, 11:48   #13
BHPian

As an owner of both cars (although the alto in its Vx guise), I can tell you that Alto is the car to go for. Alto Lx may not be as peppy as the 800 but its certainly very very well put together. Maruti is giving you the exact same body shell that its exporting to Europe right now. The fact that in case of a major shunt, driving an alto v/s the 800 might just mean the difference between life and death should put your doubts to rest (God forbid something like this should happen to anyone but there's no harm being safe)
Old 27th December 2004, 18:06   #14
BHPian

Alto is the Car to go for. The fact that its a car that is atleast two genrations ahead of the 800 tips the scales heavily in its favour. 800 might score only on the FE front
(which might be just be 1 or 0.5 KM IMO) but when you consider safety , build and effectiveness of AC I think Alto is far far ahead of the 800

Choose the Alto , The LXI is the Best bet
Old 27th December 2004, 20:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yeah man go for the Alto the biggest difference part from what others have mentioned are the brakes on Alto which are 100 times better than M800

@Speedsatya : u sure abt the valve thing coz i thot both M800 & Alto Lx share same engine except for the gear box which is 4 gear in M800 & 5 gear in Alto.. pls clarify

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks