Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 19:03   #1
BHPian

Crazy Comparison-Getz1.1 or wait for Palio1.3MJD

hello all

Could you guys help regaurding the following.(i am planning a second car.
We've just got a swift but my bro is hijacking it)

i am considering the getz1.1 GVS for now and thinking about whether it makes sense to wait for a Palio1.3MJD
(ive heard too many horror stories about the 1.3GETZ milege so im a little hesitant)

I know the above comparison doesnt make sense because one is a diesel and the other a petrol.But i need a car within 5.5Lacks(im hoping the palio1.3MJD is that much ) I will not consider the swift or the uva for certain reasons.
Though i drive only in Bombay city i would like a car that at least has decent "highway manners" (so there goes the i10 )

My running is quite less , i drive probably only 3 times a week ,max 50kms or less total per week, though; being a typical indian i like to look at FE

Now A couple of mechanics i have asked say the same old line
"bhai, running kam hai tho petrol lena chahiye"
when i ask why they give me the ol
"maintence costs petrol mein kam hai, aur diesel engine kaam jyaada nikalta hain "
basically for less driving use only petrol

my question is that : is all of the above true?
should i only look at a petrol car if i drive only occasionally?
Why is it so exactly?
( P.S: i am not concerned about the extra initial cost of the car so dont consider that in any calculations)

Please help me with the pros and cons about petrol and diesel apart from the obvious savings in price of fuel and initial cost of car

Please help me decide whether GETZ 1.1 makes more sense for me or should i wait and see if the palio 1.3 MJD really arrives in March and i should consider it. Frankly i need to know is it worth waiting for a diesl car or it doesnt make sense for me to wait for the palio1.3MJD. ( Again please note: dont bring the initail cost of the car in the petrol diesl calculations, However if you would expect the diesel Palio to give me problems due to higher maintence costs or if diesel is not suitable for me do Tell

regaurds
Old 20th December 2007, 15:42   #2
BHPian

If initial cost is not a concern to you then it is better to wait for the Fiat 1.3MJD. As per ET it is supposed to be launched in feb 08. Regarding more cost for maintence cost was true for older gen diesel engines but the newer CRDI engines are as reliable as the petrol ones.

As you will be doing even highway run have a look at the Getz 1.3 instead of 1.1.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Well its a bit crazy compario

I think a Palio 1.3 wud be a fun car to drive and would definately recommend it to a single driver or someone needed a FE concious yet peppy hatch for family.

HOWEVER!! a diesal does not makes sense for such a little driving. Also if space is an issue a getz would make much for sense.

BTW...i am heavy footed and own a Getz 1.3. Its a hassel free car and i get 11 kmpl in city all the time I would still suggest a 1.3 GLS in ur budget.

Elito
Old 20th December 2007, 16:11   #4
BHPian

A diesel car should make sense only if your monthly running ia atleast 1000-1500 kms. I own a Getz GLE. The reason why i didnt go for it is just because I didnt want to spend 5 Lakhs (on-road) for a 1.1L engine car. But if it is ok with you, then that would be a good choice. But still, my vote goes for the Palio 1.3
Old 20th December 2007, 20:15   #5
BHPian

Hi!
Even I'm waiting for 1.3 diesel Palio, scene here in Delhi looks a bit different. They are in top gear to ban diesel cars. So wondering what should i do. Wait for govt's action or go for diesel as and when it is launched.
Old 20th December 2007, 20:17   #6
BHPian

thanks guys
can anyone state for sure if the 1.1 has lower or higher milege than the 1.3 getz?
Autocar magazine has confused me by publishing that the 1.1 has lower milege than the 1.3!
if its so then the 1.3 would make a better choice
(it also makes me wonder why hyundai would plan such a car(the 1.1) that was inferior to the 1.3 in all aspects (especially fuel eff)
why wud anyone buy it just so save 35k-40k ( considring 1.3 has a discount of 10k)
Old 20th December 2007, 20:26   #7
BHPian

If you are in no hurry, its better to wait for the Palio 1.3 MJD.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:13   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i would advise you to wait...even though you may want to buy the getz i would still recommendthat you wait if you are not in a hurry.
Old 21st December 2007, 08:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

After driving the Swift diesel, the engine is a dream!

I suggest you wait. The 1.1 in the Getz is peppy to drive in the City. But runs out of power in the highway!
Old 21st December 2007, 08:52   #10
BHPian

Wait for Palio 1.3MJD.It is wonderful engine.Anyway 1.3MJD already fitted in swift VDI.So we all know about the engine.Anyway it is pretty powerful and fun to drive.
Old 21st December 2007, 09:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even I would suggest you to wait.... Palio 1.3 is worth waiting.. And it seems wait is not long enough.. TATA is also gearing up for MJD so MJD engine is on
its way for FIAT-TATA stable...

Mean time, put your hard earned money in Mutual Funds and get the benefit of the Market till Palio MJD is launched so you would get all the initial petrol-diesel car cost benefit
Old 21st December 2007, 10:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma
i am planning a second car. We've just got a swift but my bro is hijacking it)

My running is quite less , i drive probably only 3 times a week ,max 50kms or less total per week,
I know this is not a suggestion you would be expecting, but I frankly think that given your usage, a second car is an overkill. For 50kms driving done in 3 drives over a week, the best option would be to share the Swift with your brother. IMO, it does not necessitate another car for such minimal usage.

Main advantage (to you) is that 5-lakh odd rupees stay with you, to be spent for some other deserving use, instead of having a combo of plastic-metal-rubber parked in your garage (atleast most of the time).

Disadvantages would be the times when it so happens that both of you need the car at same time. Well, get a cab/auto for those rare occasions.

I am sure you are already paying a load of IncomeTax, why add more to the Government's kitty in the form of sales-tax/excise/VAT/ road tax etc, especially when we are not seeing any of it back in the form of roads/infrastructure. This is apart from the pretty packet that you will cough up to the insurers each year.
Old 21st December 2007, 12:17   #13
BHPian

Supremebaleno has spoken like a true senior bhpian . Straight from the head rather than the heart.
But, on the other hand, there is a great feeling driving in our own car !!

Plus, it's a big hassle trying to find taxis ( when both brothers want to use the car at the same time ) which makes us settle for an auto, which defeats the whole purpose of wanting to travel in a car.

I , too , was faced with a similar dilemma a few years back and went ahead and listened to what my heart told me, buy the car.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:12   #14
tez
BHPian

how about going for a used car like Palio as a second car. Invest the remaining money in mutual funds/equity. You drive the car for free then
Old 21st December 2007, 16:18   #15
BHPian

The Palio 1.3 should go on sale in feb/march. Uses the same Swift engine but gearing seemed a little tall (was hitting 88-89 at 2000 in 5th as compared to 84-85 for the swift).

NVH are good, car pulls well but what i didnt like was the metal on the door being visible (padding is less on the door).. Pricing will play an important role here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks