Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:07   #1
BANNED

Palio 1.6 Stile, 1.3 MJD or 1.4 Logan GLE

I currently drive the Swift Vxi Petrol, and I’m mighty impressed by her engine. I have had her for 14 months now, and I get a gas mileage of 15-16 kmpl on the highway.
We’re all aware that she delivers 87 horses and 113 Nm of torque.
I have 3 vehicles in mind, for my next ride – The Palio 1.6 Stile, the new Palio 1.3 MJD and the Logan 1.4 GLE. My budget is set at 5L OTR. Keep in mind though, that a major portion of the driving will be on highways, and seldom within the city; hence, am looking for a sturdy and reliable highway car. My next priority is FE. With gas prices set to rise, I guess it makes sense to atleast consider a diesel vehicle (talking about the 1.3 MJD)
However, neither I nor my folks have owned a diesel vehicle in the past, and hence, I’m a bit skeptical about getting one - maintenance factor, noisy ride, etc are just some concerns. I was told, “Never leave a diesel vehicle idle for too long..that’s when the agony begins.” Like I said, the car will not be doing a whole lot of city driving; I’d take her out every week, maybe. How much of a problem does this pose?
Also, I am a little confused about hp and torque. I believe, hp is the only determining factor in deciding how powerful a vehicle’s engine is. What about torque?
For example, the Swift petrol delivers 87 horses and 113 Nm of torque, while the diesel variant delivers 75 horses and 190 Nm of torque. I would think that the Swift petrol is ‘swifter’ than her diesel counterpart. I would appreciate an explanation.
P.S. I think the Logan is well-priced. Would appreciate some comments from Logan users as well!
Also, when and on what channel can we watch the Auto India show, scheduled to happen in Delhi?
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:39   #2
BHPian

Dont you think it's too early to give idea about 1.3MJD??let it launch buddy then
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
Dont you think it's too early to give idea about 1.3MJD??let it launch buddy then
FOr starters we can check out the driving impressions in this months BSM

Elito
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:07   #4
BHPian

@luvjascha
To understand the importance of Torque and Force in a Patrol and Diesel cars, please go through the below link.
PETROL VS. DIESEL CAR Review
Old 1st February 2008, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
The new Palio Stile 1.3 multijet diesel is supposed to launch at the end of the 1st QTR 2008 and there is no doubt abt the diesel engine performance which features in the Swift Diesel and gonna be in the new Tata Indica DICOR, Punto(great successful car) also in other car manufacturers!

The only guess...whts the price tag wd be??
So get set Go.......

Cheers~
Old 1st February 2008, 14:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

TD the swift diesel, and feel the difference yourself
Old 1st February 2008, 15:48   #7
BHPian

Forgot to mention few other cars featuring the Fiat's 1.3multijet engines apart from Punto/Palio and Swift Diesel

1. Suzuki SX4 Diesel
2. Suzuki Splash
3. Fiat Linea
4. Chevrolet Aveo Saloon/Sedan Diesel

its coming to India in 2008 fitted in around 7 cars!!

Cheers~cheers:
Old 4th February 2008, 16:50   #8
BHPian

How about the Indigo CS with a price tag of just under 5 L OTR ?
Old 5th February 2008, 13:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

let us not discuss Palio MJD & about its engine being used in other cars. there are seperate threads for the same.

Regarding the inputs on which car would suit the best, right now it depends on when do you plan to buy your car, coz Palio MJD is not expected in the next 2-3 months. In case you planning to buy within next 3 months, palio MJD is not an option.

So we are left with two option i.e. Palio Stile 1.6 & Logan GLE.
According to me, Here are the details which will be important while choosing.
1. FE on highways - I believe both cars would give around the same FE on highways. Driving in city is what will be the defferenciating factor as far as FE is concerned. Logan would be slightly better as compared to Palio Stile
2. Boot Space - Since you will only use the new car on Highways, I believe it will be more of a weekend travel car. While travelling there will be luggage. If there is going to be more luggage, Logan will provide the space for the same. But in case there isn't going to be excess luggage, say around 3-4 bags, Palio can easily accomodate as it has decent boot space, but definately less than Logan.
3. Power - Palio will definately provide more power than Logan. This will help effortless overtaking on highways. Logan being 1.4L will be much less powered as compared to palio. Having that extra power always helps while overtaking on Highways.
4. Ride quality - I haven't driven the logan yet but have driven Palio 1.6. Palio 1.6 offers a very good ride quality. I suggest you test drive the Logan & the Palio 1.6 on Highways to compare the ride quality.
5. Other features - Logan has very few things to offer. There ain't any alloy wheels, rear wiper. The most funniest thing i found in Logan is that the remote boot opener is not provided in Logan even in the high end models, It is optional which means additional costs. Though it is a very small thing, I feel it is ver important as every time you need to open the boot, you need to switch off the car & open with the keys. I find it very frustrating as my car is checked everytime i go to office. So you need to check with such small things whicle going in for Logan.
6. Price - Palio 1.6 comes fully loaded at the price tag of 4.81 on-road, & there are discounts on offer. I enquired with one of the dealers in Pune & he is offering a discount of 28k. So at this price, I find palio a more feasible option, considering the features it offers like Alloy wheels, Rear wiper, Body colored door handles, tubeless tires, etc & ofcourse the joy of the famous FIAT 1.6 engine with 100 Bhp, 137 NM torque.

You can now decide on the basis of your needs and choose one.
Hope this helps
Old 6th February 2008, 12:30   #10
BHPian

[quote=vinit.merchant;711699]let us not discuss Palio MJD & about its engine being used in other cars. there are seperate threads for the same.

Regarding the inputs on which car would suit the best, right now it depends on when do you plan to buy your car, coz Palio MJD is not expected in the next 2-3 months. In case you planning to buy within next 3 months, palio MJD is not an option.

BTW...Vineet. Palio Stile MultiJet is gonna launch in March'08. This is a confirmed news from Fiat Customer service/Marketing dept with who i've personally been in touch

So its just a distance of a month...

True Logan does not offer features what the Palio 1.6 does..i've myself sat for a TD with a frd...so many features they don provide but then what can u expect such a spacious car with a Renault engine under 5.5L
Old 6th February 2008, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rudrah;712948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
BTW...Vineet. Palio Stile MultiJet is gonna launch in March'08. This is a confirmed news from Fiat Customer service/Marketing dept with who i've personally been in touch

True Logan does not offer features what the Palio 1.6 does..i've myself sat for a TD with a frd...so many features they don provide but then what can u expect such a spacious car with a Renault engine under 5.5L
[quote=rudrah;712948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

If it is within a distance of 1 month, it is great as even I am looking forward to know its features & the price thay will quote as I am willing to book one if its cost is 5L. But we are all aware about FIAT commitments in past re: launch of new car. Secondly, the availibility of a car for TD in the initial period has always been an issue. This was evident with the launch of Palio Stile 1.6. So i keep my fingers crossed on this front.

Regarding Logan as spacious car, it doesn't provide more space than the Palio as far as interiors are concerned but the boot space is where it scores. And it costs around 70k more than Palio. Above was only my opinion. The differentiating factor between the two cars is pretty simple
1. FE - Logan Marginally better than Palio, since its only going to be driven on highways.
2. Boot Space - Logan
3. Power - Palio.
4. Features - Palio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks