Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2008, 16:09   #1

Trouble with Popular Hyundai; Was my i10 used as a test drive car?

Hello Friends,

I have booked (full amount payed) for a Hyundai i10 (Magna (M) Silver) at Popular Hyundai Trivandrum on 16th December 2007. Since it is for my marriage, I informed that I need the car before 15th Jan 2008. Yesterday when I called up Popular motors, they told me that the Car is already came around 10 days back and since I needed only on 15th January they didn't inform me.
I strongly feel that these 10 days, they might have given my Car for TD.
Now I don't know whether I can take delivery of that Car. What you guys opinion on this? Is there any way through I can know whether I'm getting a Car given for Test Drive with the odometer disconnected?. Also how can I know when the car is delivered to Popular showroom? Please advice.

Thanks
-Sudheer Prem
Old 10th January 2008, 16:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Popular Hyundai already seems to have earned itself a bad reputation on our forum.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am not a shareholder of popular hyundai, but it may be noted that we are only guessing that the said car has been misused. there is no concrete evidence yet.

maybe you can ask someone to arrange a TDrive from him, and watch whether these guys arrive with new cars with disconnected odos.

in my opinion it is unlikely.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check the car whether there is any dirt accumulated, check tyres, interiors etc. Already Popular Hyundai has a bad name.
Why in the world you have left the vehicle with them?
Old 10th January 2008, 16:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

If they've been using it as a TD vehicle, I think a close inspection of the car will reveal this - look for dents & scratches, open up the engine compartment, check out the interior carpet etc; I think that will give you a fair idea of whether the car has been lying around for 10 days unused - or abused.

Good luck!
Old 10th January 2008, 17:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Go to the showroom and check whether they have a REAL TD car. If they do, chances of your car being used are low.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just make a surprise visit to the showroom and say that u want to see your car. IF they take u to the car without any hesitation or delay, then it may just be lying in the yard. If u are satisified with the car, then take it asap and leave! Else, if they fumble up, and bring about any delays in showing your car, then something may be up! Just my 2 cents.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Request a friend to go for a TD. If they use a real TD car. Fine. However, if they use a Silver Magna, ask him to open the bonnet and note the chassis number. Maybe even take a snap if he can.

You can then tally this when you go to take delivery of your car.

Of course this assumes that they use only one car for TD purposes.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

It is really tough to find out unless there has been scratches & touch ups. the car can be cleaned inside out.
However, you could say that you want the car only on 15th & request them to park it safely in their yard & not in the showroom. Take an assurance from them on this. Call the manager next day & get a confirmation from him that it has been parked. Make a friend to take a test drive, Visit the dealership immediately & see for yourself.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:55   #10

Thanks all for your kind responses.
Since this is the first time I'm booking a new car (Right now I have a second hand Accent DLS), I didn't have much experience on the procedure. Also I didn't inform that I need the car only on Jan 15th. But just took an assurance that I will get the Car before 15th Jan.

I remember that, some time back in team-bhp I have read about a Test Drive experience with a Car Odo Meter Disconnected. That why I feared that my car might have been used for Test Drive.
Whether anybody has experience in getting Test Drive Cars with Odo Meter disconnected?
Also Is it normal not inform the customer for weeks even after the car booked by him has come?

Thanks again,
Sudheer Prem
Old 10th January 2008, 18:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you send your friend for a test drive(as others have suggested) and note engine number of TD car.
then when you go for delivery, if it matches it confirms your suspicion.
Other than that, unless the TD car has been abused, there is no way to tell if your car was used as TD.
Old 10th January 2008, 18:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheerprem View Post
Hello Friends,

I have booked (full amount payed) for a Hyundai i10 (Magna (M) Silver) at Popular Hyundai Trivandrum on 16th December 2007. Since it is for my marriage, I informed that I need the car before 15th Jan 2008. Yesterday when I called up Popular motors, they told me that the Car is already came around 10 days back and since I needed only on 15th January they didn't inform me.
I strongly feel that these 10 days, they might have given my Car for TD.
Now I don't know whether I can take delivery of that Car. What you guys opinion on this? Is there any way through I can know whether I'm getting a Car given for Test Drive with the odometer disconnected?. Also how can I know when the car is delivered to Popular showroom? Please advice.

Thanks
-Sudheer Prem

I believe Popular Hyundai has a test vehicle. I'm not sure, but I think I saw one stickered TD car outside their showroom. No need to panic, just check the car. I don't think there is any sure way of checking whether the car has been used for TD.
Old 10th January 2008, 18:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

Popular Hyundai has a TD car for i10. 100% sure. I saw it today also outside the showroom.

However, i have driven a customers car there, immediatly after i10 launch (as they didnt recieve their TD car)
Old 10th January 2008, 18:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Popular Hyundai

Popular Hyundai - never had a good reputation
so just get the car from them asap and get the car serviced at some other Hyundai service centre..especially since you already having experience of a HYUNDAI car I dont know how you landed up with POPULAR HYUNDAI
Also one more doubt: what made u downgrade from aSEDAN to a hatchback????
Old 10th January 2008, 20:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Popular Hyundai has a TD car for i10. 100% sure. I saw it today also outside the showroom.
Sometimes the test drive car is on a service or sometimes its on a test drive already. During this they can/may give the customers car for TD.

Most Viewed