Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 14:05   #16
BHPian

This is a city car ONLY. However the success of this car depends heavily in the manner in which its is Promoted. Tata's will have to position this car as a superb alternative to a slew of used cars available. They will have to stress on the "Joys of Byuing a New Car from a showroom".
Old 11th January 2008, 14:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

A used car will be better than Nano except for the mileage aspect. Need to see how people will buy this car and how they will use it.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

i would put my 2cents on a used alto rather than on the nano!, the 625cc power house is just not good for highway use!

there just cannot be so much expectation from this car, but nothing can be decided at this point in time we need to wait for at least 6 months after its launch, for the complete results!

but however i have a strong gut feeling that the diesel variant will rule the roost just like the diesel indica in the segment!
Old 11th January 2008, 16:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
ithe 625cc power house is just not good for highway use!

I would so love to have this engine planted on a motorcycle.

A tie-up between RE and Tata, is this what dreams are made up of.
Old 11th January 2008, 16:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Feel 2nd hand is better as of now. As you may have to wait for 1 year to get to that car. 1 year because, 6~8 months for it to come on road and there will be a very huge booking for this. All in all it will be 1 year since you will get this car. My suggestion would be if you can wait for 1 year, then it would be Ok and that to city drives if not get a 2nd hand car now.
Old 11th January 2008, 16:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

first thought that comes to my mind when i see this car us that whether it can replace auto rikshaw if fitted wth an lpg engine??

i mean if one can buy an piaggio ape for one lac then why not tata nano?
imagine all the autos being replaced by tata nano,it increases safety,comfort, driving sence,looks much much better,and many which dont have black and yellow four wheeler cabs can use these

what do you guys think about it?
Old 11th January 2008, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
first thought that comes to my mind when i see this car us that whether it can replace auto rikshaw if fitted wth an lpg engine??

i mean if one can buy an piaggio ape for one lac then why not tata nano?
imagine all the autos being replaced by tata nano,it increases safety,comfort, driving sence,looks much much better,and many which dont have black and yellow four wheeler cabs can use these

what do you guys think about it?
Sure I'am for it. But do you think the auto rikshaw unions will allow this? They will simply blackmail the government and then they will have their say just like how they do when ever they want to hike the prices of meters.
Old 11th January 2008, 20:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
NANO vs used car
If you want a car, then always used car over Nano.

However, I think Nano is aimed as a two/three wheeler replacement not to compete with M800 (though market might behave differently).

Actually many people will avoid Nano as it might portrait them as "poor" to their neighbors
Old 11th January 2008, 20:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Hey rockingstart..???
I believe you left one important factor there...
SAFETY...
Do you honestly think it is safe to drive this car around the cities OR on the highways..??? Me Not...!!!
How safe is a Maruti Omni? I think this is much much safer than those 2-3Lac cars. Tata has clearly said, it passes the frontal crash test and side also. Anyway, I am not sure they have disclosed those statistics officially. But I am sure we can take their words.

Also, since this was made as a replacement for 2 wheelers [atleast thts what TATA thought of initially] its much much safer than those. He himself has detailed this in his interview...

Btw, I am just curious, is the Matiz or the Spark relased recently is so safe????
Old 11th January 2008, 22:50   #25
BHPian

My two cents here. well Nano is just a replacement / upgrades for the two wheeler owners, and also may suit ladies preferably for their short distance / city commuting to take care of their childrens pickup / drop in school / college. But its really impressive that TATA's has come up with this and made the world think that there can be small cars of this size can be manufactured too.. Performance we need to wait & see .Definitely there'll be some issues like when Indica was launched initially and it took 6 - 8 months for the stability, so time will have to say how will it perform on the road.After that its a smooth take off for Tata Nano.

So ideally speaking now the problem for the infrastruture, inside and outside home. The reason being a family will replace the 2 wheeler with Tata Nano and One normal small car for the long distance and family commuting. Outside it'll take time to adjust with the growing traffic and it depends on the city you live in.

Auto rickshaws will get outdated as many will buy Tata Nano and will convert it in to a NanoCab, as they can make more money compared to the auto's. This will create new business opportunities on a different dimension.

Lets wait and see what's in store for the indians road in future.
Old 12th January 2008, 14:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Am sure Nano would be a bulluck cart with 4 Adults, considering the fact it has a 640 cc engine... it is good for 2 office goers.

Definately made for short drives, if people are thinking of loading thier family and drive around i guess would be a bad idea! it should defiantely hit on Reva's market!
Old 12th January 2008, 17:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yes they have confirmed those in the full last page adv in the TOI.

But they plan to sell it in other EU countries too and if it meets their emission and safety norms, India would be a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Anyway, I am not sure they have disclosed those statistics officially. But I am sure we can take their words.
Old 12th January 2008, 18:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaks2000 View Post
Nano is just a replacement / upgrades for the two wheeler owners,

Auto rickshaws will get outdated as many will buy Tata Nano and will convert it in to a NanoCab, as they can make more money compared to the auto's. This will create new business opportunities on a different dimension.
Hi,

Mr. kanak, i too feel the same thing about NANO, & tata's strategy,
what ever may be the case, NANO will make other Manufacturer's to rethink about the small car's.

Like reliance has made mobile revolution in our country, tata will do in 4 wheeler industry....soon
Old 12th January 2008, 23:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

1. In consequential. 3km/liter more or less isnt going to save our souls.
2. Questionable. MASS >>> TASS. Further cost cutting like the wheel bearings designed for ~70kph operation sound scary to me
3. You're joking right? It seats four, moves umm ... ? Alto is peppy enough as a 800cc car
4. in city yes.
5. You know better.
Old 1st February 2008, 11:00   #30

Guys,
Nano may not be able to match the strength and power of any other car but it is for sure going to change the commuting lifestyle of a common man .
I dont intend to buy Nano against the Used Car as my preferences are different, but if I have to buy a two wheeler for any other family member than Nano will come as a handy alternative.
thanks for all your inputs and suggestions on this thread

Cheers
Rocking Start

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks