Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 10:48   #1

NANO vs Used Cars

Tata unveils Rs 1 lakh car 'Nano' says the headlines of leading newspaper, And as I take another sip of my tea while reading the complete news, Looking at the tech specifications, My thought goes back to the day when I decided to buy a used car in a range of 1L-1.5L. Although I havent seen the car but The question that keeps coming back is shall I buy a "used car" or go for NANO in the same cost bracket. So guys here is a food for thought and do pour in your suggestions and ideas, Who knows TATA's dent the market of used cars too. To ease up the confusion here are few parameters on which you base your thought
1. Mileage
2. Maintenance
3. Long Drives, Uphill drives
4. Family travel
5. Sense of Ownership.

cheers!!!
Old 11th January 2008, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

A full loaded Nano might not be a good choice specially for Uphill drives. So might disappoint you on points 3 & 4 also because of the speed cap.

But till we see it running on the roads it will all be speculation.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:49   #3
BHPian

Its too early to access the car.
However since we know the engine specs you can safely scrap out points 3 and 4.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:50   #4
BANNED

Claimed milage of 20 KMPL is bit less for a 33 BHP 650 CC motor(must be due to just 2 cylenders), may be their Diesel Mill will put up more milage to make her worth for money and real economical drive.
Feels like many people will buy this as 2nd car option for near by distence and grocery shopping.
Just curious about the engine spec of Suzuki 660 mill what they are having in Japan for their small cars.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey rockingstart..???
I believe you left one important factor there...
SAFETY...
Do you honestly think it is safe to drive this car around the cities OR on the highways..??? Me Not...!!!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 11th January 2008 at 12:10.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:11   #6
BANNED

Used car Any day that is what everybody will go for ... Take my words
Old 11th January 2008, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

rockingstart dotn even consider nano if you are planning to use it for long drives... its just a city car!
Old 11th January 2008, 12:12   #8
BHPian

Of course, all this is speculative right now but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
1. Mileage -- NANO will probably be better
2. Maintenance -- New NANO probably cheaper than maintaining a used car
3. Long Drives, Uphill drives -- Could be underpowered compared to an 800?
4. Family travel -- Depends on size of family I guess
5. Sense of Ownership -- Not sure what you mean by this.

cheers!!!
Old 11th January 2008, 12:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rockingstart, it would be of help if you could list a few options that come to your mind when you refer to "used" cars? What are the used cars that you think would be available at 1 lac - let's look at that & then the thoughts can be put down on paper.

Also, let's not forget the initial context in which this car was thought of by Ratan Tata - an upgrade to 4 wheels for many families who are cramped for space (& safety) on 2 wheelers. I think its a dream come true, no two ways about that one

Lastly, how much of "uphill" driving do you normally do on your daily commute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
rockingstart dotn even consider nano if you are planning to use it for long drives... its just a city car!
Agree with you completely

Last edited by suman : 11th January 2008 at 12:23.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nano is any day better than used car. It depends on your requirement, If max. 4 people with very very less luggage yes you can take Nano even on highway. but I suggest used car instead of waiting for Nano.

One can find decent esteem, palio, ZEN for the price range of 1-1.5 lac which is any day better than Nano.

According to me:

Nano is ideal City car for husband and wife with 2 kids (age max. 10 years) and luggage of what they can buy from general shopping according to me. But considering still people take M800 on long drive too few might take Nano on highway too!

I feel governement should make a rule not to allow very small and under powered cars on highway or not allow more than prescribed people in the car based on its ability. I don't think this will happen and we can see more than 6 people in Nano which will be disaster like 8+ people travelling in omni with luggage or 5+ people travelling in M800 with luggage.

If we use the product by knowing its ability by following rule even Nano is capable for highway cruising else one will curse himself.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

this can be a perfect choice as THIRD car.for putting children at school markets etc.but maybe its a tough time for the m-800 second hand markets.that would be the possible impact in the market.

ram
Old 11th January 2008, 13:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Until the car comes out & performs, there is really nothing to talk about except the way it looks.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it is anyday better than a 2nd hand car for purely city Commuting purposes which anyways most of the car owners do.

With Nano the 2nd hand prices should fall also, what I do see is a steep fall in 2nd hand car prices in small cars after a year of Nano's launch i.e. as soon as Nano becomes available in 2nd hand market, the prices for 2nd hand 800/Alto/Santro will take further dip.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:22   #14
BHPian

IMO Nano will lead to a 'BOOM' in aftermarket accesories and modifications!!

Wider tyres, engine mods..etc etc will be a major market! ALso we could see many NOVEL uses of the car!

Effectively we are getting a engine and a drivetrain for 1L... whose, 'commercial' etc uses could be many!!

Elito
Old 11th January 2008, 13:58   #15
BHPian

just think of a two wheeler user going for a 2nd hand car (m800,most probably) . for him it is wise to go for new car ..
reasons.
1. being a new car finance will be easily available ( infact hdfc is in talks with tata).
2.he is not going to drive it out of city frequently. if he does he IMHO nano can do that (there are autorickshaws, aces, and two wheelers in highway,this car is better than that).
3.maintenance of a new car will be low than that an old one(most probably).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks