Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 22:17   #1
BHPian

i10 unsafe?

hi guys, i was planning to get an i10 for city use. happen to read this review on mouthshut

HYUNDAI I10 Review

My i10 met with an accident at speed of about not more than 25km/h, hit a tree. Imagine....the engine block is broken

shouldnt the front bean take care of this? what do you guys think is it geninue review?

thanks
Old 15th January 2008, 22:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The writer does not give his experiences of hitting trees at 25km/hr in other cars....
Old 15th January 2008, 22:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The writer does not give his experiences of hitting trees at 25km/hr in other cars....
The writer is silent about the diameter of the tree, too...the fact that he managed to look at the speedo just before impact is some achivement.

Just kidding.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

It might have hit a protruding part of the tree. Besides, he doesn't tell what happened to him, probably nothing. The primary purpose of the car safety system is to protect the passenger by sacrificing the car if required. That it seem to have done. Has there been any crash test done on the i10?
Old 15th January 2008, 22:33   #5
BHPian

Never trust mouthshut. Most people there have no idea what they are talking about and are quite biased.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Already being discussed here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-my-i10-8.html
Old 15th January 2008, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
the fact that he managed to look at the speedo just before impact is some achivement.

Just kidding.
like this 1

anycase if any expert gets a chance to look behind the bonnet please advice....

thanks for the inputs..

Last edited by vinodbijlani : 15th January 2008 at 22:43.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:45   #8
rks
BANNED

Here is a quote from the driver's reveiw:

Quote:
Now next time u see an i10, open the bonnet and u will be surprised to note that there is not even a single piece of metal till engine block, its all fibre and plastic. So if it meets with an accident, the first thing which is going to face the impact is engine which is barely few inches ahead of dashboard.
The i10 is of the cab-forward design and the quoted comment will be true of other cars with a similar design (Zen Estilo comes to mind). There is more leg-room for the occupants, but the bonnet space (the engine compartment) will be small. The engine will take a bigger hit in case of frontal impact. But the driver should not be cribbing because the engine probably saved his own neck in this case. Next time I hope he will be wiser and avoid hitting trees.

Now imagine what would have happened if the driver had been driving a Nano (again cab-forward design). Engine is in the rear in this case and he would have to hope that the spare wheel would protect him.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Most people think that its the components in the engine bay that protect them from a crash! Majority doesn't understand 'crumble zones'. Even worse is that people think the thickness of metal body is what matters in safety.

No wonder manufacturers skip on safety features and still sell thousands every month.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is designed to deform to protect the occupants,and engine plays a vital role in protecting the cabin.
Old 16th January 2008, 01:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we should be told what happened to the tree.

Minimising impact damage to trees should be a major part of car design, and a big selling point.
Old 16th January 2008, 01:29   #12
BANNED

why do ppl say not to trust the site. there is a reason this site exists, to bring the real truth. the fellow talks about selling the car hes not bad to break his money and sell the car for under a month. its his loss after all. has to be something. give it a benefit of doubt. if u gonna buy the car go and see the car urself. not that u can crash it but i guess a lil guessing should help u itself.
Old 16th January 2008, 06:43   #13
BHPian

Mouthshut reviews are to be taken like a word of mouth reviews. These reviews are most of the time honest reviews from first time buyers are people who have bought their car after doing their research and post their views if has has satisfies their needs.
Agreed sometimes things are exaggerated positively or negatively, but those are pretty honest aam aadmi reviews and are really not that bad.
They give very good reviews of Service centers though.
Old 16th January 2008, 07:33   #14
BHPian

would it make sense post the pics of whats behind the bonnet for
- i10
- santro
- zen estilo
- swift (even though not the same category but seems like a safe car)

will try to get these...maybe it helps analyzing it further
Old 16th January 2008, 08:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

All new cars are pretty expensive if you have a light prang. Let me take the Honda City as an example:

Go to the Whitefield Honda Body shop = OHC's which have had frontal prangs usually need a new bumper, headlights etc. As for NHC's, the whole front caves in!

Most Viewed