Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 18:30   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not really. LPG is quite expensive compared to CNG.
Worth the factory-fit tag, IMHO. Else Haste can consider the factory-fit CNG cars (Santro etc.).
Old 29th January 2008, 23:55   #17
BHPian

my vote goes to the WAGON-R.

OT::why not indica diesel/or any other diesel vehicle
Old 30th January 2008, 00:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

actually, i have just the solution for you:
alto vx 1.1 + CNG.

Takes the alto's ultra light body, with the F10DN engine and you should have a decent runner on your hands.

Otherwise, IMNSHO, 1.1 liter+ CNG does a boring car make. Our Alto is peppy, does 110-120 on CNG decently, but low end torque is missing - the car needs revving. The Xeta OTOH, feels like a petrol all through. Immensely drivable.

Take a car that has a torquey engine to begin with. Which is why i'm sorta anti Santro CNG. Good for peace of mind, but driveability, I seriously doubt.
Old 30th January 2008, 23:23   #19
BHPian

hmm...thanx for the input phamilyman but don't wanna go for alto as I find the interiors bit too cramped..
For the indica, my friends r advising not to go for a second hand one, as indica they say is notorious for developing problems especially after 2yrs+

WagonR seems to fit the bill reasonably all round...I'm sorta gettin inclined on getting it...Also I can fit a 14Kg cylinder in WagonR, which is not possible in indica..

BTW Any thoughts of retrofitting CNG on estilo ?
Old 31st January 2008, 19:21   #20

Well i would suggest for Indica. Indica Xeta is a very nice car with loads of tourque and is far cheaper as compared to Wagon R. though no doubt the Wagon R is very nice but driving it gives a feel or driving a wagon specially when you take steep turn.

So driving pleasure is far better in Indica as compared to Wagon R. and XETA is reliable if not as reliable as maruti;s. you wont need to visit a mechanic too often. as you said you need it for 80KM a day drive that too in city try to take comfort into picture as well.. I never found wagonR a comfortable car specially when i am on the drivers seat. and then to be frank i am a bit scared taken sudden turn... i know its a very well balanced car but the feel isnt right when driving. so i would say Indica to go for and then its TATA spares are cheap and easily available.

only point is the size of cylinder.. anyways.. 10KG will fit well easily in it and with 8KG of gas it will give you decent milage as well.

what ever i wrote is totally my opinion from what i have driven. i have driven XETA with CNG as well as Wagon R with CNG. and belive me XETA is comfortable.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:19   #21
BHPian

hmm...yes I too prefer Indica over WagonR for its spacious interior and looks, but many people including one's on this forum aren't pleased with CNGed Indica...they all say it develops too much problem...

Initially the factory fitted CNG Xeta had many problems, as so I read in Wolfenstein's review for CNG Xeta....have they'd been sorted out?
Old 3rd February 2008, 00:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

umm, I can only speak proxy from what I've seen of my brother's car.

The xeta 1.4 is superbly drivable, has done about 27oddk since Dec 06. Car runs smooth, niggles are there though (PW window stuck/aircon condenser and once some wiring harness issue that led to fuses tripping/central locking). car is superb till you go to service Except the occasional niggle, it delivers all you wanted, and then some! ours is a lambda closed loop kit btw. as for people who say that indica's unreliable, umm can only say niggles are there, but engine by itself is bulletproof.

you can fit CNG in estilo/wagonR. so many cabs have it. apra does it all the time. speak to mr rampal (supervisor in workshop) on 9891798931. he can give you tech gyan
Old 3rd February 2008, 00:23   #23
BHPian

i would suggest the santro and indica xeta for cng as both cars have had excellent feedback with cng alto/wagon r would stress a lot with cng.
ensure you fit a TAP(Timing Advanser) and Lamda control for compensating the loss of torque and you would get minimal difference as compared to petrol in terms of performance.
Personally i would suggest you to go for a car with a higher displacement as they can and have the potential of compressing cng better during combustion resulting in more power and less difference in performance compared to the stock car in petrol with similar running costs to a small car.

recently i did 170kmph on CNG on my Ikon 1.6 an returns Re.1/km.
Old 3rd February 2008, 00:26   #24
BHPian

and haste since you live in delhi, i can get you the contact for the fitter that retro fitted my car and you can also test my car.
Old 16th February 2008, 20:11   #25
BHPian

Guys, after some hunting in the second hand market and unable to find good cars at good prices...I've decided to drop the used car idea and go in for brand new one...

B/W the available choices of Santro and Indica, i've decided to go with Indica 1.4 GLX Xeta, which also is the mood in this thread..
Also Tata is giving good discount on Xeta these days of about 42,000 incl. extended warranty if I finance vehicle from Tata finance, which seems attractive..I have got a quote of 3.80L(on road)+48k(for cng kit) from tata showroom here in delhi...

So gurus here let me know...if I'm making the right decision and also anything specfic which I should know/take care of before buying the car..
Old 17th February 2008, 01:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just one thing I'd request, spend a day in the service station bef. you decide on TATA. While I like the car lots, I do realize the service experience leaves much to be desired - so you also do that to make sure you're at ease. Else later things can leave a bad taste in the mouth - because the car otherwise is a pleasure. Santro would offer lesser power but surely more peace of mind - make a thorough choice if you can live with the service.
Old 17th February 2008, 13:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just one thing I'd request, spend a day in the service station bef. you decide on TATA. While I like the car lots, I do realize the service experience leaves much to be desired - so you also do that to make sure you're at ease. Else later things can leave a bad taste in the mouth - because the car otherwise is a pleasure. Santro would offer lesser power but surely more peace of mind - make a thorough choice if you can live with the service.
Hmm...that would be cause for concern, is Tata service really that bad in delhi ?
Old 19th February 2008, 16:08   #28
BHPian

HI Buddy,

I would seriously suggest you go for Santro Xing. I recently bought it and find it to be one of best cars to drive in city. The engine works with CNG quite well. I have not installed CNG tiil now, but will in near future.

Amit
Old 29th February 2008, 01:29   #29
BHPian

Yes Sir, Most niggles have been resolved. Some left are because of negligent maintainence.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:36   #30
BHPian

Bumping this thread...after the delievery..
I've bought a Santro GLS...sort of anti-climax after finalising and booking Indica Xeta GLX 1.4 ... but that's how things are..the 1.4 model is discontinued by TATA and only Indica Xeta's now available are 1.2, which I felt was too underpowered for the heavy body which is also evident from lack of pickup when I TDed Santro and Indica 1.2 GLG..

Thumbs down for TATA for making me wait that long, only to inform me 1.4 wasn't available
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks