Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 21:33   #16
BHPian

Thanks a lot Backseatdriver...Hmmm. will have to think about this then..let me have a look at a couple of other dealers then to see if i can get something at a really throwaway price

I find the indica a bit too bulky..and dont like it from the visibility angle somehow..i know one gets used to this after a few drives, but i have test-driven it, and dont find it too comfortable to drive.

Guess - i am going to go with the most "comfortable" car for now...which i think i will enjoy driving... next week is when i am going to test-drive all of them at the showroom - will definitely give the i10 a try, though i dont know if its in my budget.

-Neeraj
Old 31st January 2008, 22:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

power windows are like a remote control. If you're not used to them, you wont notice, but once you've used them, its hard to go back. if your budget constrains you , then drop power windows, at least the rear ones, but they are a nice feature to have , if you can afford them
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake View Post
Guess - i am going to go with the most "comfortable" car for now...which i think i will enjoy driving... next week is when i am going to test-drive all of them at the showroom - will definitely give the i10 a try, though i dont know if its in my budget.
-Neeraj
Have you picked your car?
Old 4th February 2008, 03:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Neeraj,

Considered the spark? It satisfies almost all you want, and then some. The price will surprise you as well :-)

Xeta is roomier, but has service station quality issues (know that fortune powai is decent though).

take any of these cars, sit in backseat, ask TD driver to speed through some horrible andheri east roads at 50-60 kph. After that, I will ask if you'd even bother with wagonR or santro. Spark wins it hands down
Old 4th February 2008, 11:48   #20
BHPian

Thanks guys..

Have decided to go in for a new car...Backseatdriver - i have given it a lot of thought, and guess the effort of first looking for a good old car, and doing the same exercise that i am doing now a few months or a year or so later is going to be too much for me... can live with a few scratches i think...

Well - i went on a long trip this weekend in a wagonr and found it really really comfortable..even with 3 ppl at the back..its manageable..drove an alto today morning..(drivng lessson) and it is straightaway out of contention...simply doesnt compare with the wagonr..and with the price diff being only about 70K odd..i have defintly decided its worth going.

Guess what - the curved back seat giving uneven back support issue seems to be in wagonr too !! guess the point is that these cars are really designed for two at the back only..and with 3 sitting, it becomes slightly problematic for the guys sitting at the windows...guess have to live with this..wish i had never noticed this, as it keeps niggling me..and no one else seems to have ever noticed it :(

and with that - the santro is now back in contention..i think that shud make all the santro fans very happy ...will take this week to decide between the two, and keep this post updated.

phanilyman - i am somehow of the camp - first car, go for stable known brands - maruti/santro etc and so not considered the spark.

one last q - how much more costlier is i10 compared to santro?

-Neeraj
Old 4th February 2008, 19:07   #21
BANNED

Quote:
...the effort of first looking for a good old car, and doing the same exercise that i am doing now a few months or a year or so later is going to be too much for me... can live with a few scratches i think...
Point taken!!!

Make sure you get a few extra classes - even after you qualify the driving test.

Quote:
Well - i went on a long trip this weekend in a wagonr and found it really really comfortable..even with 3 ppl at the back..its manageable..drove an alto today morning..(drivng lessson) and it is straightaway out of contention...simply doesnt compare with the wagonr..and with the price diff being only about 70K odd..i have defintly decided its worth going.
Ok. Long trips on WagonR are very comfortable. I can attest to that - the high seating position does keep you fresh at the end of even a 12 hour trip.

Quote:
Guess what - the curved back seat giving uneven back support issue seems to be in wagonr too !! guess the point is that these cars are really designed for two at the back only..and with 3 sitting, it becomes slightly problematic for the guys sitting at the windows...guess have to live with this..wish i had never noticed this, as it keeps niggling me..and no one else seems to have ever noticed it :(
I have not noticed this. I suspect that you are sitting too close to the wheel well, and should reconsider your seating position.

Quote:
one last q - how much more costlier is i10 compared to santro?
HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10
WagonR

For wagonR LXi (with a/c and power steering) - Mumbai ex show room is Rs. 3,71,425/-

For i10 era, it is 379033

Even the Era is better than wagonR, I can say. Here are the (relevant and useful, according to me) extras above WagonR LXi.
- internaly adjustible OVRMs,
- tilt steering
- seat belt hook cavity (no rattles when you are driving alone and without a/c)
- TUBELESS tyres.

There are other features on Era which are not available on WagonR LXi - like front power windows.

On the Magna, and you may get better featrues.

Err.. this is just me, drooling!!! Not taken a test drive of the i10.

Edit:- There is a price difference between the Metallic and non-metallic colours for both cars. I suggest non metallic - but mine is a metallic colour.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 4th February 2008 at 19:10.
Old 4th February 2008, 20:00   #22
BHPian

Backseatdriver - many thanks

I am taking lessons almost everyday and (i feel) improving gradually..

Ahem - the i10 pricing sure looks juicy ..maybe i shud add it to my list of shortcuts, and to think i had got it down to two :( have to admit though that i dont understand much of the extra features that u mentioned - OVRM, tilt steering?? (will do some research on this- but guess just shows HOW MUCH of a novice i really am)

Will have a look at this forum for reviews of i10..plus the mandatory TD that the forum seems to insist.

planning to book in this month..so - any discounts/raises expected from Maruti/Santro this month, or shud i wait till march, when companies might be expected to dump inventory..anything specific expected on either of these three cars on the pricing front. I would guess i10 being new, shudnt offer too much by way of discounts, but by that count, Santro shud be giving slightly more discounts?

Thanks once again for ur help

Neeraj
Old 6th February 2008, 08:07   #23
BANNED

Quote:
BI am taking lessons almost everyday and (i feel) improving gradually..

Do not count on this - vehicles in driving school behave very "differently" - in the sense that such vehicles are slightly less un-responsive and brakes may be different. The gear lever and "play" for all pedals will be different. Mostprobably, the steering may not be power steering in driving school cars. So you may feel uncomfortable on a new car's quick responses. At least, get a good experienced driver at your side for the first few trips . (This applies ONLY to absolutely new drivers).

Quote:
.... i dont understand much of the extra features that u mentioned - OVRM, tilt steering?? (will do some research on this- but guess just shows HOW MUCH of a novice i really am)

ORVM - outside rear view mirrors. Internally adjustible means you do not have to poke your paws outside to adjust them. Necessary when that pesky pedestrian at a traffic jam deliberately "adjusts" your rear views while walking by your car.

TIlt steering - you can adjust steering position.

Tubeless tyres - you drive for a couple of hundred KM even if a nail gets into your tyre - so long as you DO NOT remove the nail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks