Team-BHP - Santro vs i10?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Santro vs i10? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/35126-santro-vs-i10.html)

Given the launch of i10, can prices of santro be expected to fall over time, or more discounts offered on santro? What would be the price difference between the two?

Is is just possible that Hyundai might discontinue the Santro sometime soon, so as not to cannibalize i10 sales? I have almost finalized the santro, but these questions make me wonder if its better to go for the i10 instead. Not sure though,whether the i10 is as proven as the santro - and so what would the long-term situation be?

-Neeraj

Irrespective of what might/might not happen to the Santro - about which there isnt any clarity, the i10 would be a better buy between the two. Its modern, refreshing and has the interior aesthetics of a higher segment.

Boss, Do not buy a Santro. Given that a better car is available from the same stable, why do you want to look at a Santro. Its a great car no doubt, but its days are numbered.

Its i10 all the way. Its a good car. Hyundai is in India for the long run and i10 is quite a success. So the long term situation ain't gonna be that bad.

Santro is tried, tested and proven car.
i10: Is new, refreshing, looks (subjective) and interiors are good.

I feel there might not be any problem with the availability of spares and A** for santro. I feel both of them are good. But if you want me to vote at present circumstances, I personally feel Santro would be a better choice though.

Whichever offers a better discount and gives a good VFM go for it. I do hope you might have TD'd both the vehicles.

wait for some more time because an exciting new car is just on the brim of launch.many of you out there would have guessed it as fiat palio mjd but its not that one.splash is all set guys to scorch the ramp.
ram

I10 is a fresh new new car and it is regarded as Hyundai's saviour in India.I 10 has got the looks,Nice smooth engine and brilliant interiors.Go for i10 and you would never regret it.

The Santro's prices have already been lowered & number of models are down to two than the earlier four.

Also I see less i10's on road than expected. So probably after some time one might start getting discounts on i10

as long as Alto & base models of Spark continue the Santro will not be phased out

I10 i feel is little overpriced at the moment to raise the question of dropping santro from hyundai stables so i guess for i10 to be a clear option for the customer hyundai needs to lower its price..

Santro has created a market for itself in India. Although i10 is a newer generation Santro, Santro is proven and is a decent option for people looking for a good, sub 4 lakh car. i10 is more expensive. I think Santro has a discount of 35K in Delhi (advertised, could be larger once you are finalising). i10 seems overpriced and discounts could come once sales start to stabilise (say by Apr-May).

Santro has been around for almost a decade now and it has done its part.The better deal would be the i10 anyday as its got more feaures and better styling and refinement.And being from the same manufacturur santro might be discontinued in an year or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake (Post 711548)
Given the launch of i10, can prices of santro be expected to fall over time, or more discounts offered on santro? What would be the price difference between the two?

Is is just possible that Hyundai might discontinue the Santro sometime soon, so as not to cannibalize i10 sales?

I am still driving my old Santro (2000 model) which has been discontinued long ago by Hyundai. Still the after-sales support from Hyundai is excellent. So that is not a reason to worry about buying the Santro.

Basically you have to decide for yourself what exactly are your requirements. If you are looking for economy, the Santro will probably be the wiinner as you are bound to get good discounts. But note that the i10 is supposed to give better fuel economy than Santro, athough that may only be marginal.

The i10 will give you a better ride, especially in the rear seat, than the Santro (all-new suspension, higher-profile tyres, longer wheel-base). It is more spacious and definitely has higher-quality fittings. The only disappointment is that the i10 still has a 1.1 liter petrol engine that is only marginally more powerful than that of the Xing; but the Xing is peppier because it is lighter.

If you can wait till the 1.2 lit all-new engine makes its debut in i10 (supposedly later this year in export versions) then that would be worthwhile from a performance point of view. Also the crdi i10 with a 1.1. lit engine may roll out this year. These would undoubtedly be superior to the present engine and may be worth waiting for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 711987)
wait for some more time because an exciting new car is just on the brim of launch.many of you out there would have guessed it as fiat palio mjd but its not that one.splash is all set guys to scorch the ramp.
ram

Any idea when splash is going to be released in India?

Here-in I must add that I have decided against i10

i10 has front plastic/fiber which will hamper the radiator, on a mild accident from the front. The radiator is mounted on plastic support which we all know looks solid but is brittle by nature.

Basicallly the way the hyundai has designed it is amazing, but then they have installed radiator and other stuff with bumper support and there is no metal b/w bumper and radiator which would pause/ prevent the impact on radiator. thus when hit from front, the radiator will be down on road and car would be left immovable in this circumstance
Further when towed by traffic cops, which is frequent in delhi, the bumper will change the alignment of the radiator and other nearby stuff. This will increase the noise in the car.

Hyundai team should have fixed this earlier itself

Due to this factor the RE-sale value of the car is low in open market(direct from lajpat nagar second hand market)

But then it looks nice and good to drive the car which i must say is very nice car

You seem to have bumped up a 1 .5 year old thread - unintentionally

The points are valid, but I do know of a person in my office who has had an upfront accident in the I10 and just drove on. Also this persons car too was towed and the bumper seems no worse for it.

By the way, in a major frontal accident, the radiator of most cars - even in a bigger segment would be done with.

Recently we have been in the market to scout for a replacement for our aging Matiz. Mostly my sister drives it alone and sometimes with parents. They simply love the sitting position, view and comfort it provides.

We have test driven a lot of hatchbacks, starting from Estilo, Wagon R, Alto K10, Santro, Beat 1.2 and Spark. The decision has been swinging like a yo-yo from Estilo initially to i10 to beat to spark to santro and back to I10!

Finally we have narrowed down to hyundai...santro vs i 10 irde2

For Santro

Almost matiz like seats and space
Proven design and engine
Excellent city drivability
low maintenance and solid build (compared to I10)

Against Santro

Old design
too common
may be phased out soon
Rear suspension issue

For I10

New design
More upmarket
better suspension?
little more space
10% more power
Higher ARAI mileage

Against I 10

spares cost (have heard horror stories about front panel being all plastic, engine dropping on low intensity impacts leading to costly repairs etc)
low resale for IRDE2 against kappa2
No Test drive vehicle available anywhere!!
Salespersons deriding IRDE2 against kappa!
Low FE on road stories

Kappa is ruled out due to budget. Difference between I10 ERA and santro Gl plus is only Rs Rs 25000 ex showroom and that too is reduced when we consider I10 has some features which we will pay for in santro gl+ to install. So it boils down to Rs 18-20000 practical difference between the two.

We would like to keep it for atleast 8 years. Hyundai is offering to have some 'bad death' policy covering bumper to bumper and all plastic parts for a nominal extra premium to assuage our concern for I10 bumper damage(don't know if this is actually true)

Given these facts which one is a better long term choice.I seek opinion of members who have actually used these vehicles to make an informed choice for my family.

And should we buy now as we are getting a Rs 40000 CD plus Rs 15000 exchange bonus + good market value of matiz as a deal or wait for last month of dec or first week of Jan 2012 to get a better deal which may or may not be given.