Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2008, 21:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

A few Test Drives and What Car querry?

Well. This is going to be slightly long.

Well we went shopping for a car today and had a few test drives. One of my friends are looking for a car. These are his requirements

Budget - Rs.5 Lakh OTR
Power - Not A priority. However the car should not stall with a/c on and with 4 people.
Space - Well He likes to fit in 5 people but at that budget did not get a 'real' 5 seater other than the LOGAN.
FE- Well this is a priority item. Would like to get as much as can get.
Ride comfort - Should be above average.

with these things in mind we went to have a look around. THis is what we experienced.

TVS SUNDARAM
We first thought to have a look at the Mahindra Bolero even though we knew that it would be out of budget. Walked into the very 'Public Sector' like environment of TVS Sundaram Showroom. ASked a guy about the Bolero. Price for mid version with A/C and P.S comes to Rs,5.5L OTR. And they can give you a test drive inside their compound around their showroom!!! WHAT!!!! Ok. Thank you very much.

How do they ever manage to still be in the market???

Then we walk to the next showroom where the LOGAN is displayed. Oh! Its air conditioned. Atleast they have kept it in a better place than the bolero. I see a few Scorpios lying there aside the Logan. Probably these are higher category cars then the bolero. Ok. The guy shows us around and inside the logan. Well. It lookes pretty big inside. The boot is really large. The higher variant of the 1.4 engine costs nearly Rs.5.15L OTR. No Power windows, No Steering Adjustment. Well. But it looks good and big for that price. Here again. No Test drive. Ok. Thats even better. Thank You.

Popular Hyundai
We then moved to have a look at the i10. After TVS Popular looked like some multinational company trying to bag a Rs.1 crore contract from you. The car is quite capable. Very good interiors. Quite powerfull engine. The Gear placement is really cool once you get used to it. Front seats are quite comfortable. However the rear seats were not that comfortable and the ride comfort was pretty BAD. I had expected something better after hearing that it was much better than the Santro. Fitting 3 in the rear would be quite difficult especially for long distances. But at Rs.4.45L OTR for the MAgna with rear wiper, defogger, adjustable steering, all doo power windows, P.S, and good quality interiors plus the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, it looked really attractive. However we all had a bitter feel somewhere down about the ride quality.

Kulathunkal Motors TATA/FIAT
We had actually gone to have a look at the Palio1.1. The Palio has been very well discussed on this forum so not going to say about it. But i'll tell you about another car i got to drive there. One of my friends at the showroom asked me to just take a look at the INDICA DiCOR. Yawn! Should I? Well what do i loose. Ive never been so attracted to the Indica however i took the keys from him slightly reluctantly. Put the Keys in the lock and turn it. A loud "Clunk!!!". I look around. What was that noise?? Aah!! Its a TATA. Those were the first impressions. Put the keys in and turned it on. A few lights on the dash console blink and after they go off i turn on the engine. Well i can hear the "DIESEL". I look at my friend who sits beside me. Do you really want me to drive this? He uses the power window switches at the central console and raises front glasses. THe back glasses are being wound up by my friends sitting at the back (No PW at back). WOW! the cabin turns silent. The engine clatter is not there anymore. Thats impressive!! I slot into 1st and take off. The car pulls quite well. but the surprise comes once you cross that 1800rpm mark. WOW!! Is this really a Indica that i am driving. The engine noise is well insulated though you can hear the humm of the engine while you press the "drive by wire" accelerator pedal (FIAT tie-ups??!!). After the i10, the ride comforts is just like heaven. The rear space is really good. The negatives here are like a good amount of body roll, no steering adjustment, no rear wiper, no rear powere windows. But at Rs.4.75L OTR the car looks worth enough for a diesel with a claimed F.E figure of 28km/L!!!

Would probably try to get a TD of the Aveo-UVA and the Wagon R Duo by tomorrow. In the meanwhile would like to get your suggestions on the following cars.
1.Logan
2.i10
3.Palio 1.1
4.Indica Dicor
5.Aveo U-Va
6.Wagon R Duo

Are there any other cars that we have left and that is worth having a look out given the priorities.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2008, 22:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

You can check Swift/Estilo/Spark/Santro. Will fit in the price range.
Old 6th February 2008, 22:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Logan or Indigo CS because in future Sedans will rule rather than overpriced premium Hatches with one or other compromise.

In India Premium Hatches are not worth, because many times 5 or 6 people travel and can fit comfortably in Sedan rather than Hatch. Entry level Sedan comes 5 lac on road so why think about Hatches?

If one wants to buy Hatch buy something below 4 lac or settle for entry level Sedan like Esteem or Logan if budget is 5 lac.

To push more and more cars these Premium Hatch car came into picture in business but none of them offer good practical usage here.

Person has to buy Premium hacth only If he has less parking space or he don't need boot at all. In very near future resale value of premium hatch will be very less compared to entry level Sedan and small Hatch.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 6th February 2008 at 22:18.
Old 7th February 2008, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I suggest Logan or Indigo CS because in future Sedans will rule rather than overpriced premium Hatches with one or other compromise.

In India Premium Hatches are not worth, because many times 5 or 6 people travel and can fit comfortably in Sedan rather than Hatch. Entry level Sedan comes 5 lac on road so why think about Hatches?

If one wants to buy Hatch buy something below 4 lac or settle for entry level Sedan like Esteem or Logan if budget is 5 lac.

To push more and more cars these Premium Hatch car came into picture in business but none of them offer good practical usage here.

Person has to buy Premium hacth only If he has less parking space or he don't need boot at all. In very near future resale value of premium hatch will be very less compared to entry level Sedan and small Hatch.

Regards,

Ravi.
i think you got it wrong buddie,premium hatches are way more spacious than their sedan counter parts.getz more spacious than the accent or even the verna.and more over the boot which many of us wont use is a burden when trying to park.i would advice a hatch if boot is of no much use.being more practical thats it.

try out the getz 1.1,swift vxi,santro-loads of discounts,wagon r lxi,and duo.
all these may fit into the budget.TD all and decide.

ram
Old 7th February 2008, 12:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
1.Logan
2.i10
3.Palio 1.1
4.Indica Dicor
5.Aveo U-Va
6.Wagon R Duo
Arnt you going across classes...Its going to be very difficult for you to decide

if you havent liked i10, you certainly wont like the back seat ride comfort of wagon r.
Uva will score much better.
Also add swift to the list.(it will be very practical and vfm)
If you want Sedan(and not Tata coz of there bad A.s.s), do take a look at ikon & esteem as well.

now..lets see what other cars are left?

Regards,
Old 7th February 2008, 12:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gemi, I really enjoyed reading your dealership opinions as much as the content on cars. Well-written! Here is my 2 paise on suggesting a car to your friend:

Hatchbacks: The only cars in this category that can seat 5 for 5 lakhs are the Palio, Indica, Getz and UVA. The Palio 1.1 and UVA are immediately out since your friend is not keen on an underpowered machine. I'd highly recommend the Getz 1.3 or the Indica Turbo / common-rail. Both are excellent cars in their own way, though the Getz is way ahead in overall quality.

Sedans: Indigo CS.

If your friend can wait for a couple of months, the all-new Indica has promise.
Old 7th February 2008, 14:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses. My friend does not seem to like the swift that much. Moreover i dont think the rear seat could accomodate 3. He also is not that interested in the Getz since there is one of that in his family. So as GTO said, I guess the list is being shortlisted like this.
1.Palio1.1
2.Indica DiCOR
3.U-Va
4.Logan

The i10 might still crop up in the list just because of the good interiors and the features offered.

Right now this is the situation.

The Indica DiCOR has impressed the most with engine. But this is just the first impression and Need to give it more trials.

The i10 has impressed with the aesthetics and features.

The Palio1.1 with VFM.

Will get back after test drives of the U-VA and the Logan.
Old 7th February 2008, 15:27   #8
BHPian

If FE is not a concern, take a TD of Palio 1.6.. i was quoted 4.8 lacs OTR after discounts and is true VFM, comes fully loaded.

Edit: Oops.. Just read your post#1 again and seems like FE is high on your priority list. But still take a TD for that car, you might want to think again.

Last edited by revved_up : 7th February 2008 at 15:29.
Old 7th February 2008, 15:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

> The Indica DiCOR has impressed the most with engine. But this is just the first > impression and Need to give it more trials.

The only DICOR that I have driven is the XL. The difference I could feel vis a vis a Turbo was that the pickup starts at around 1400rpm and goes on. The Turbo has a distinct kick in point at around 1900rpm.

Your description matches the Turbo than a DICOR. But it could be that way in the Indica.

If you have the time (and inclination) try an Indica Turbo and the Indigo CS. The LS version may not give you much of creature comforts, but it is a good midway between a bog hatchback and a sedan. The boot is just down by 70 litres to the regular Indigo's 450l.
Old 7th February 2008, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

if you arent that much a fan of performance, get the DLX turbo instead of the DLG dicor. It has rear PW/ rear wipers, and costs about the same as the Dicor
28kmpl is absolute rubbish. 16 might be more like it. i get 14ish

PS : glad to know that you liked the post 1800rpm rush. its something that I've come to really enjoy

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th February 2008 at 16:33.
Old 7th February 2008, 22:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you arent that much a fan of performance, get the DLX turbo instead of the DLG dicor. It has rear PW/ rear wipers, and costs about the same as the Dicor
28kmpl is absolute rubbish. 16 might be more like it. i get 14ish

PS : glad to know that you liked the post 1800rpm rush. its something that I've come to really enjoy
Do you have a DiCOR?? Or is it the Turbo one that gives you 14?
Old 7th February 2008, 22:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Gemi,

> The Indica DiCOR has impressed the most with engine. But this is just the first > impression and Need to give it more trials.

The only DICOR that I have driven is the XL. The difference I could feel vis a vis a Turbo was that the pickup starts at around 1400rpm and goes on. The Turbo has a distinct kick in point at around 1900rpm.

Your description matches the Turbo than a DICOR. But it could be that way in the Indica.

If you have the time (and inclination) try an Indica Turbo and the Indigo CS. The LS version may not give you much of creature comforts, but it is a good midway between a bog hatchback and a sedan. The boot is just down by 70 litres to the regular Indigo's 450l.
Yeah. I do feel the same. I think it would need more gear changes especially in city. THe car stalled a few times when my friend tried to move at low speeds. I guess the CS would shoot out of his budget of 5L OTR. Not sure. Will check that out.
Old 7th February 2008, 22:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a DiCOR?? Or is it the Turbo one that gives you 14?
I have a DLG turbo . But I've read elsewhere in the forums that the Dicor gives marginally more FE.
Old 7th February 2008, 22:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well. Here comes the update.

DEEDI Aveo U-VA
The mid version with all four door power windows, power steering, a/c, steering adjustment, tinted glasses including front windsheild strip and almost everything you need comes at Rs.4.97 OTR. This includes a 3 years 1L km warranty and a chevy promise on maximum maintainence costs for 3 yrs / 45K km. The first thing you notice is "Its very spacious". You wont feel like you are inside a hatchback. Seriously. I think this is the "real" B+ segment car. The engine is very refined and silent and cabin sound proofing was excellent. Look around and you see a lot of usefull storage places. The best part was the rear seats which felt really like a class higher. The ride comfort too was quite good.

We were not that happy about not having both wiper and defogger at rear. Thats something that really helps in hatchbacks. Another major concern was the famous notchy gear which feels terrible if you have had experience with other cars. Not explaining that since its been discused more than anything else. But another thing was the position of the gear, the seatbelts and the power window switches. You need to really put your hand abnormally backwards to operate them. Your hand elbow hits the seats when you change gears. The seatbelt is much behind your seats and you need to turn back to hold them. Overall we felt its a great small car.

The dealer experience too was pretty good. Not sure about the service though.

One major thing that keep us away is what the dealers said... "NO DISCOUNTS". Well ...we wont buy at that price. Especially since we still have the FIAT Palio Stile in the list at nearly a lakh less.
Old 7th February 2008, 23:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. I do feel the same. I think it would need more gear changes especially in city. THe car stalled a few times when my friend tried to move at low speeds.
funnily, the same has happened when friends of mine tried out my car as well. Maybe its a diesel thing. I learnt driving on an indica DLS , and havent driven petrols much. just a friends alto once, and i had problems keeping it moving in the lower gears as well.

as far as I'm concerned, 2nd gear is usually all i need for stop and go traffic ( ulloor - pongumood in the mornings) . except for an ocassional downshift to 1st.

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th February 2008 at 23:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks