Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 12:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting this link prskumar.

I think I have got my answer
Old 14th February 2008, 13:33   #32

I test drove the ZXi again y'day with the wife. The cabin is not very quiet, a lot of road noise does creep in especially while driving over the reflectors and manholes (covered) on the road. The diesel engine on the other hand drowned all the road noise with its rhythm and made its presence felt. The car handled pretty well though and I loved its braking. No rattles, no squeaks, no nonsense, can live with it as it is. It was a demo car!

I chose the ZXi over the VDi considering various things:
1) VDi+ABS costs 20k more than the ZXi on road.
2) Will have to spend extra for the music system, tyres and other accessories.
3) Will have to spend TIME going around looking for the accessories and fitting them to satisfaction.
4) Will have to go around sound proofing the car and fixing rattles often.
5) Want a zero maintenance/upgrade second vehicle. I already spend most saturdays with my bike mechanic fixing my Bullet and keeping it road worthy. Don't want to do the same with the car.
6) This is my first car and might not be the only car after three years.
7) Will know my car usage pattern and exact expectation from a car after a year.
8) The wife would want her own car by then whose usage would be very less.
9) Might build my own Jeep/Gypsy later
10) Will most certainly be buying a bigger and more reliable touring bike when one is launched in India. We both prefer bikes to cars.

@rider60, the 185/70 R14 is sure better than the 165/80 R14. The new alloys are slightly better looking, only slightly though. I would go for 195/65 after a year like Jaggu.

--
Cheers,
kaushik
Old 15th February 2008, 19:32   #33
BANNED

As Diesel engines are more torquey and even below 1200-1000 RPM they tends to pull the vehicle, just start the car put it in first or reverce gear and release the clutch gradually without pressing accelrator and car moves effortlessley.
Same way if you are going on higher gears and tries to use engine break(breaking the vehicle without pressing clutch) it feels like instead of stopping vehicle is moving forward and thats called rubber band effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What is the rubber band effect ?
Ajay, can you explain this in more detail please ?
Old 15th February 2008, 20:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Is that rubber band effect? I did some googling and came up with this -

Rubber band effect: when the accelerator pedal was pressed, conventional CVT immediately brings the rpm up to a high level. The engine put out its maximum performance with the corresponding level of noise but the car slowly catches up in acceleration. This gives one the feeling of a slipping clutch.

AutoZine Technical School - Transmission
Old 16th February 2008, 13:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from this above list the rear defogger glass and wiper set can be fixed later on at a price as far as i remember it i was quoted around 8K
Can you please let me know where? I was quoted 25k for the same.

Good decision kaushik, do post some pics of the new alloys which are offered on the 2008 model as we havenot seen it on team-bhp.

@ Techno - Even if your running is 5k a year i would suggest the VDi, simply for the more FTD factor, the 19kgm torque and low running costs.
Old 16th February 2008, 18:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Eddy: In the Swift Diesel, when you floor the accelerator for a few seconds there is no or less reaction from engine but after a while a surge of power comes which is kinda scary for the first time & this is what we commonly refer to as the rubber band effect.

@Busa: While I agree with you; most of the people who ask me this question including myself belong to the class who opt for almost 80-90% loan while buying a car. So if I am not sure that my running will be much, my monthly fixed expenses on the car remain high even if I dont drive it, while in petrol my monthly fixed expense remain low.
So taking a call is the biggest dilemma.
Old 16th February 2008, 20:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Busa: While I agree with you; most of the people who ask me this question including myself belong to the class who opt for almost 80-90% loan while buying a car. So if I am not sure that my running will be much, my monthly fixed expenses on the car remain high even if I dont drive it, while in petrol my monthly fixed expense remain low.
So taking a call is the biggest dilemma.
Well, just forget the economics for once, go for a long test drive of both the cars and see what you like, that will make your decision much easier.
Old 16th February 2008, 21:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yep thats what I am gonna do when I am in Market for a new car
Old 17th March 2008, 11:40   #39

Thanks guys!

After many discussions, test drives, arguments and deliberations I went out looking for a used Esteem and ended up purchasing a rarely used 2001 Alto VXi (Azure Blue) last week!

Have given it to my mechanic to make it as new as possible.

A big Thank You to all of you for the encouragement and support.

Mods please close this thread. I will start a new thread for the Alto later.

--
Cheers,

kaushik
Old 18th March 2008, 10:48   #40
BHPian

ZXi for sure !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Considering that am a passionate biker and will continue to be so, I see myself doing 8-10k km per annum by car in the next three years including holiday drives to neighbouring states (50:50 City:Highway). Which may go up in all possibility if its a diesel. Going by the current fuel rates, it would cost Rs.40k per annum on a petrol and Rs.21k per annum on a diesel. The cost savings on fuel is not huge. But a quick weekend run to Pondy would cost me only 500 bucks on a diesel compared to the 1000 bucks on a petrol.

I guess am quite stuck with running costs. How much more does it cost to maintain the VDi over the ZXi? Servicing, spares, fixing rattles, suspension life, etc? What bout driver fatigue over long distances? Is driving more comfortable in a petrol car? I am likely to keep the car for at least 6 years, may not be my only car till then.[/COLOR

]If the maintenance + spares of the VDi is going to cost even Rs.10k more than the ZXi per annum, then I don't see value in the VDi. I know the FIAT 1.3 MJD is far superior to most other diesel engines we have seen in India but is it on par with its petrol counterparts? If yes, at what cost? Is it worth it?
Considering that VDi costs just 15K more than the ZXi, you will breakeven in less than a year's time. So this is completely unimportant.

Now the decision is basically between the goodies ZXi offers and the low fuel cost of VDi. If you think you can afford the fuel cost of petrol basis the KMs you score, then any day you should go for the petrol - all these goodies will assist you in some or the other way. You may think you don't need them but you will surely love to have them. Plus the driving convenience I think is better in petrol any day - my opinion (experts may differ)

On the other hand if the efficiency wins for you, VDi will also not disappoint you. It is one of the best diesels in the country and has good driving experience. However, again in my opinion the diesels will have extra maintenance costs even though marginally.

If I were you - I will go for petrol and enjoy the car. But in this case its you who will take the call.

cheers: & Thanks.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Mods please close this thread as the starter have already taken a decision.Started off with swift zxi and ended up with an immaculate alto vxi.good choice Buddie.
ram
Closed Thread

Most Viewed