Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 18:50   #16
A.R
BHPian

Wait for some time later this year & go for the M800. It will never let u down. When the bookings open for Nano, there will be a long waiting period. Plus I feel there might be some issues with the car which TATA might address in phases. You just don't know how the Nano will drive/feel!
Old 13th February 2008, 20:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

By the time Nano is at dealers and you reach the front of the queue, Bajaj would have put in an additional tyre on its 3 wheeled offering, and you may have to consider that. By the time you reach that queue, Maruti may have cut its price to 50K.

Even if 800 is close to 3 decades old, it still remains the best choice for Indians on a tight budget and with a desire to have 4-wheels. IMHO, a wise buyer would wait for Nano's quality reports before putting his money (The buyer profile would be someone upgrading from a bike/scooter, and he would be expected to be conservative in putting more than 1 lakh on something entirely transformational in the world car industry).
Old 13th February 2008, 21:24   #18
BHPian

i think one should clearly go for either the 800 or if the budget permits an alto. Apart from the uncertainity regarding the launch date (can always be postponed by a couple of months ) & the long que, the most important factor is that it would be quite a whileafter the launch that they would manage to come out with a stable product. launching any new vehicle is a tedious process & this radical product is going to be even more difficult as it not only incorporates severe cost cutting measures but major shift in design with engine at the back . if the indica took so many years to stablise ,this one is going to be no easier. despite the brave effort of tatas , i feel it would take them a real long time to come up to the refinement level of maruti. in fact lots of people would still prefer to wait for the fiat multijet to be plonked into indica & indigo before picking one.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well u can stretch the budget a tad bit and go for the alto.If not then the 800 it is!!practical all rounder for city as well as highway use.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I suggest M800. But as many people suggested, please wait for Nano as Maruti might slash M800 price, although they have said otherwise.
Old 14th February 2008, 10:45   #21
BHPian

Being an M800 owner i would recommend M800. You get an Air Conditioned 800 for < 2.6. It definitely adds value on a hot afternoon/polluted evening. not sure if Nano will Pull with AC. M800 is a proven car with low cost of maintenance and good enough for Highway drive (easily maintain 80kph without taking undue risks)

You might look at second hand M800 since the prices have crashed. I have postponed my decision to upgrade my car since i am getting atrocious re-sale value for my well maintained car (Nano effect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
One of close friends was asking me a tough question - If he can go ahead and buy M800 at approx 2.4 Lacs OTR Bangalore or wait for Nano till September - October, which he can.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
i think one should clearly go for either the 800 or if the budget permits an alto. Apart from the uncertainity regarding the launch date (can always be postponed by a couple of months ) & the long que, the most important factor is that it would be quite a whileafter the launch that they would manage to come out with a stable product. launching any new vehicle is a tedious process & this radical product is going to be even more difficult as it not only incorporates severe cost cutting measures but major shift in design with engine at the back . if the indica took so many years to stablise ,this one is going to be no easier. despite the brave effort of tatas , i feel it would take them a real long time to come up to the refinement level of maruti. in fact lots of people would still prefer to wait for the fiat multijet to be plonked into indica & indigo before picking one.
I dont like what i just read!!
but i totall agree!!
Old 14th February 2008, 17:37   #23
BHPian

A NA-NO is a NO-NO for a highway
Old 16th February 2008, 09:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

if he's looking for a first car then i think he should go for the 800 simply because it will be trouble free.From past history it has always been proved that usually Tata's
first year manafactured cars always have some sort of problems.It's best to wait for a year or two after the Nano is out to purchase.As a second car i would definitely go for the Nano.
Old 16th February 2008, 13:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Get the 800 man, its a no brainer, the Nano will be launched in July, deliveries will start in Sep, and when your number will come you dont know.
Old 16th February 2008, 14:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

If your friend can wait, then wait for Nano to come out. No one has driven the Nano yet. Maybe he'll really like it.

He has the budget for an 800, so the Nano's top end variant (with a/c, power steering, etc) can be an option.

Remember, no matter how reliable an 800 is, it is a dated product. The Nano, according to Mr.Tata, meets all safety norms and is atleast safer than the 800.

The mileage will be better than the 800.

If you compare the looks of both a cars. 800 is oh so nineties! and nano is the next gen look!

About the delivery speculation. Tata has surprised us many times. They are no idiots, they must have thought of the problems and could come out with a solution.

Even if your friend is inclined towards the 800, I would suggest he should wait. Atleast he will have luxury of comparing the two and then choosing the better. If he buys an 800 right now, maybe he will regret later.
Old 17th February 2008, 01:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

either used 800 or a new spark instead. m800 new is just NOT worth the price!
Old 18th February 2008, 11:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
either used 800 or a new spark instead. m800 new is just NOT worth the price!
I second that; either go for well-maintained 5-speed 800 (should come for around 1.2-1.3L ) or the spark with a/c for 2.83Lakh ex.showroom(hyderabad price) is wiser to go with now . Else if your friend can wait;let him wait till nano launch to decide then.But as of now ,putting 2.2 L on a new 800 is a definite no-no.
Old 12th February 2010, 16:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

M800 Vs Tata Nano : Which is better?

I have been asking this question myself for few months now since nano has launched into the market ! I have personally used 2 M800 @ home till now in last 15 years. M800 is very reliable, fuel efficient & easy to use, maintain car. Maintenance is really very less & its like maintaining 2 two wheelers. Spares are really cheap & any nukkad mechanic can repair the car. I have also made few trips in it & it never failed. 4 avg people can easily go in it with moderate comfort. In Konkan ghats also it never gave us any problem. Feels safe till speeds of 100 KMPH also. Price wise also its not very higher than Nano.
I personally never used Nano so i cant comment on Nano much. But I have seen the car personally. It looks nice from outside but from inside its not good. Interior feels really cheap than M800. Also feels very unsafe than M800, don't know why. Nano top end model also comes close to 2 lacs on road which is almost near to M800.

So my question is which is the better of these 2 minis? Evergreen reliable M800 or Nano with issues here & there and poor A.S.S.?
Old 12th February 2010, 17:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Look Nano and M800 are different segments

Tata claiming a top speed of 104kmph for Nano means you cannot take it to highways. Plus M800 is tried and tested and loved machine !!!

Abhi
+1 to ^^^

It depends on whether its going to be a city ride or includes highway. Again, buying a car is easy, ownership is different. M.A.S.S is no way comparable with T.A.S.S. Keep this also as a point when buying a car.

Most Viewed