Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 09:19   #1
BHPian

Going for Xeta : sane decision?

Guys, after much thought I am about to buy a Xeta (GLG) shortly. I still keep getting occassional doubts about my decision. So, Xeta owners, please help me out.

- How prudent is my decision now that Tata seem to come out with a new design for Indicas (also with Fiat engines). What do you guys think? Will they be priced the same as the current ones or will they be priced at a premium? (Atleast the Petrol ones)

- I somehow felt that Xeta engine was bit noisy compared to other petrol engines of competition. Also, I noted sluggishness when driving in stop-and-go traffic. I plan to convert it into LPG. What would be impact of LPG kit on Xeta petrol engine? How would be the performance? Has any BHPians have converted with a after-market kit? What kit?

- I noted that there is a difference in tyre size offered for high-end model of Xeta (GLX) compared to others (GLG, GLS etc). Does it make sense to upgrade the tyre of GLG to that of GLX? Will performance / ride quality improve?

- What is the extent of "corporate discount" offered on Xetas / V2s, especially in BLR? Any idea? I don't qualify for this discount. But I still want to negotiate. Any negotiation tips will be helpful and appreciated. There seem to be 3 main dealers of Tata motors in BLR (Concorde, Manipal and Aravind). Which is recommended?

Thanks all!
Old 29th February 2008, 01:25   #2
BHPian

I guess you shoud wait now for the V3 XETA...unless you're offered a great discount.

GLX is available only on order since its a 1.4 engine.

GLG is a great VFM with a 1.2 engine, its great, I don't know on the tyre size difference since earlier all XETA's were 1.4- Mine is a 1.4 GLG 2006- Guess the difference is done for reducing the costing.

I have a company authorised CNG kit, the car is running great- Don't think LPG is approved for TATA XETA.

Its noisy comparitively, but not that noisy- Try to see if you can ride in a car which has clocked 10,000 KM or so.

The New XETA V3 is worth the wait...now that XETA has completed 2 successful years and will begin the phase out anytime soon.
Old 29th February 2008, 01:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) i belive the X3 will be priced at a premium

2) does the GLX have bigger wheels ? the website says 165x65R13. I know the DLG and DLX has 14 inch rims.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I seriously think you should look at the Santro. I guess you could get real good discounts on it so that the price would become almost same as the Xeta.

The xeta gives you more space and better ride comfort. For that price it is real VFM. But from a drivers point of view it is not that exciting to drive around. The steering position is very high and the engine is not smooth. + you will ahve to live with small initial niggles with TATA quality Testing.

Check out the Santro. I'm sure you will get some good disoucnts on that. Also ask for the discounts on a 2007 model.
Old 29th February 2008, 11:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

I concur with gemi. See if you can get discounts on the Santro. Also, wait till the budget is out as the auto industry has asked for further cuts on excise duty and certain tax exemptions for 'green' cars. (which may or may not happen)
Old 4th March 2008, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Please update

Have you bought Xeta? Please update. I'm also considering buying Xeta.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:01   #7
BHPian

I bought a Indica Xeta GLG in November. I am happy with the performance of the car. As is the common knowledge it is an extremely VFM car. as for the high steering position, i have never had any problems. I find it to be a very stable car. i have driven it from Pune to hyderabad in a day and did not feel tired at all after the drive. ( 2 of us shared the ride for around 250 KMs each)
. The car is stable and extremely comfortable. Engine is also pretty smooth. As regards the quality, i felt that there is a huge improvement over the years. finishing is good and the beige interiors feel nice. The only negative point i see is the mileage which would be slightly lesser than santro.

I did get a good discount on the car. (corporate discount). The V3 is supposed to be a bigger and better car, but as greenhorn said, it would be priced at a premium. plus i think it wont be available till october.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:14   #8
BHPian

A perfect VFM car

I have bought the xeta this feb 08 no issues at all with the car its just been as good an experience you can get...its got such good interiors space and comfort i would believe Santro nor Wagon R would offer you that at that price...so go for it without any hesitation this my honest suggestion
Old 6th March 2008, 19:12   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
I still keep getting occassional doubts about my decision.
I frequently get pangs of guilt when I hit up on the negatives of my wagonR. Xeta was the other car under consideration.

Quote:
(also with Fiat engines).
Those will be multi jet Diesels. Also, remember that Indica is a diesel car. Indica Xeta is a petrol car.

Quote:
I somehow felt that Xeta engine was bit noisy compared to other petrol engines of competition.
Umm.. hmmm.. may be.

Quote:
Also, I noted sluggishness when driving in stop-and-go traffic. I plan to convert it into LPG. What would be impact of LPG kit on Xeta petrol engine?
What variant were you driving? Xetas have 1.2L petrol engine, but the top end variant has a 1.4 Liter engine. Fitting LPG means more power / torque loss on all engines, all makes, all variants. Do not go in for LPG straight away. It willa ffect warranty.

Quote:
I noted that there is a difference in tyre size offered for high-end model of Xeta (GLX) compared to others (GLG, GLS etc). Does it make sense to upgrade the tyre of GLG to that of GLX?
GLX has a 1.4 liter engine, others have 1.2 liter engine. Hence it makes sense to have a bigger tyre. It is possible to upgrade tyres - look in the appropriate section on this forum.

HTH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks