Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

The price seems okay. If possible, get the car checked out by an A.S.S. and ask for full service records. The GTX is not very popular in the used car market here. Bargain with him a bit.
As for spares, I think you can get them outside the A.S.S.

@ Toiingg - Kya bhai? Aap bhi toh rip karte ho na? Does that mean your gaddi is abused/risky?
Old 5th March 2008, 10:32   #17
BHPian

You need to verify the 35000 km genuineness. A 2002 GTX (a non-enthusiast would have got a 1.2) that has done only this much is just a little questionable. Of course, if his other car is a Skoda RS, that is understandable. Then there is the malfunctioning A/c. It could be a genuine case of mechanical breakdown. Otherwise, it could be the aftermath of an accident somewhere.

Still, I know how bulletproof the Fiat 1.6 engine is. Therefore, if you ask me, if the body and alignment is fine, you should take the car, and handle problems as you go along. Spares are quite affordable. And its a great car to drive.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:31   #18
BHPian

Just wanted to update all, I saw an Indica LSI too today, it's done about 45k on the odo, the body pannels are fine, the front and back bumpers may require a change, it's a 2004 Indica V2, Euro 2, this is available for 150k as well, the tires need to be changed, though I think they will easily last another 5k.

But, I din't get the same feeling I got on the Palio 1.6 GTX, the seats of the Indica lacked under thigh support, some how I felt the back seats on the Palio were also more comfortable, The Palio also had front and back power windows, and India LSI has no power windows at all.

However, this is also an option, though I don't know how the Indica petrol's are especially the one's before the Xeta series.

The biggest advantage the Indica has I believe in this comparision is that it's a 2004 car compared to the 2002 Palio 1.6.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

does that mean you are letting go of the GTX? where is the seller located?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 5th March 2008 at 12:38.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Palio 1.6, II owner, AC not cooling, all points to an old battered car,not 35k odo, please be careful
I would say, tread very carefully on it. Its true that a car enthusiast will care for his baby a lot, but there are also a lot of car enthusiast who rip them a lot and then when they see it has neared its end, they scrap it. Regarding the ODO, they are easily manipulated. I find it hard to believe that it has only done a mere 35K being a car enthusiasts car.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
However, this is also an option, though I don't know how the Indica petrol's are especially the one's before the Xeta series.
I had a pre-V2 petrol for 3 yrs. Pretty trouble free car, unless you land up with a bad piece. The only recurring problem I had, was a rusting muffler. Had to change it twice in 3 years. FE would be slightly more than the GTX. 1kmpl more, under similar driving conditions would be my guess.

Since you are getting a price of 1.5, resale should not be much of an issue. With either car, the bigger issue will be to get a buyer, after say another 2-3 yrs.

Living with a 3.5yr old stock Indica might be easier than a modded 5.5yr old GTX, but less fun surely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
does that mean you are letting go of the GTX? where is the seller located?
Heehee. Looks like the GTX is destined for a T-BHPian either way
Old 5th March 2008, 13:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
You need to verify the 35000 km genuineness. A 2002 GTX (a non-enthusiast would have got a 1.2) that has done only this much is just a little questionable. Of course, if his other car is a Skoda RS, that is understandable. Then there is the malfunctioning A/c. I
I don't think its that much of an abnormality. I have a 2002 Palio and still have ~29K in odo. Depends a lot of how close your office is to home.

As for the A/C i think he mainly meant poor A/C performance. I have a similar problem where the rear seat passengers complains A/c not effective - so far neither the Sundaram or Tata guys could solve it. front seats are OK, though.
Old 5th March 2008, 14:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

2nd owner palio 1.6 is generally considered over & done.
Old 5th March 2008, 14:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
2nd owner palio 1.6 is generally considered over & done.
Utter Nonsense. Just because there is A.S.S. issues with Fiat doesn't mean that these are "over&done".
Old 6th March 2008, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Utter Nonsense. Just because there is A.S.S. issues with Fiat doesn't mean that these are "over&done".
I hope you are not having a 3rd owner palio 1.6 yourself. I have my reasons to say what i said.

Palio 1.6 is purely for the enthusiast. I do not doubt the enthusiast's interest in keeping the car in good condition. It is when the enthusiast decides he has had enough with this car & sells it to the 2nd owner. The 2nd owner will most certainly use it to the fullest before he decides to give it away. Fiat is also not such a cheap car to maintain & the 2nd owner in all probability would be having something to hide. Why would I ask a fellow BHPian to buy such a car ? I wouldn't.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:23   #26
BHPian

Amusing logic! So I assume that you must be applying the same logic to cars like:

01. OHC vtec
02. Ford Ikon 1.6
03. Baleno
04. Lancer

Or is Palio the only enthusiasts car around?
Old 6th March 2008, 19:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I don't think its that much of an abnormality. I have a 2002 Palio and still have ~29K in odo. Depends a lot of how close your office is to home.

As for the A/C i think he mainly meant poor A/C performance. I have a similar problem where the rear seat passengers complains A/c not effective - so far neither the Sundaram or Tata guys could solve it. front seats are OK, though.

What!? 29k? What are you doing, man. Go out and drive, drive, drive. Your Palio must be getting high BP problems waiting for you to take him out for a rough and rowdy spin.

My car has done 21k km and its only a 2006 car. And only if I did not love my car, or if I had stopped caring for it, would I let a faulty A/c be.

Therefore, either the car is not too well maintained, or it has been driven more than it shows.
Old 6th March 2008, 23:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

jesus...

i also have a 2002 palio - and it has now clocked 1,06,634 loooong kms... er.. am i missing something here. where do you guys drive man?

speaking as a proud palio owner - the spares are definitely not bank breaking and since it is now over 5.5 years old - hey you don't need to take it to a fiat showroom either. there are some really competent guys outside (atleast here in delhi) who will do a kick *** job and charge 1/4 the labour.

the best way to do it is to pick up all the spares from a fiat workshop and have 'em installed in front of you by a good mechanic/fitter on the outside (very often moonlighting fiat guys themselves!)

my 2 1/2 paise

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 6th March 2008 at 23:42. Reason: a 3rd smiley crept in!!!
Old 7th March 2008, 03:47   #29
BHPian

hi

dude 02 and 35k is not believable there are chjances that the odo is been reversed or he just left the car lying in his gargae idle for a long time both conditions are bad !!!!

so go for a car above 2004 would be a better option
Old 7th March 2008, 08:46   #30
BANNED

Between the Indica and Palio 1.6, if you're a crazy driveaholic and prefer to leave burnt rubber on the road behind you, the Palio is the way ahead. Nothing can come close to it in this price.
For every other reason, it is the Indica.

@Sushant... Yes. It is only Palio 1.6 which is considered out and over enthusiasts' car when it comes to 3rd owner.

Most Viewed