Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.6 GTX @ 150k GO GO or NO GO

Hi All,
I just checked a Palio 1.6 GTX, and the car is in good condition Body and engine wise according to me,It's a 2002 registered car, and has done about 35k on the odo. The pick up was very good, and the car seems to be ingood condition. The only week area was the AC, which was not cooling much, as I guess the gas is less, but the blow from the fan was good.

I currently drive a zen, and what a difference in feel it is to drive a Palio 1.6, they just cannot be compared.

The seller is the second owner and is asking for 150k, may come down a bit, but I'm not sure. I'm very tempted to pick it up, but wanted to know from all, if it's a sane decision. I intend keeping the car atleast for 2 years if I pic k it up. Please let me know your views as soon as possible, I'm not sure how long this car will stay with the seller.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd March 2008, 13:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Buy it.

1.5lac sounds ok provided you find engine etc works ok.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:17   #3
BHPian

I would get the car checked by a trusted mechanic/fiat service station for any major mechanical problems or any major accidents.

If all is well, Bargain a bit and go for it.

Good luck.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the engine is in good shape, go for it by all means. It's worth every penny
Old 2nd March 2008, 15:51   #5
BHPian

musicmanaman, I don't know about used car prices in Kolkata vis a vis Mumbai, but I can share my experience with you. I was looking at used 1.6's a couple of months ago (coincidentally I was also upgrading from a Zen!) and the prices here were slightly higher. A June 2002 1.6 GTX with 38 k on the odo was offered to me for 1.85 lakh(By a dealer). Finally negotiated it down to 1.55 lakhs, but the deal fell through after a check up from an Authorised Fiat Service station revealed that the car would need its valve seats replaced along with an engine gasket. 1.5 seems to be a fair price, considering the car is in good condition, but do get it thoroughly checked over at an authorised workshop and have an engine scan done as well. I was given to believe by the Fiat technician that this is a common problem with the Palio 1.6.Suhail

Last edited by swale84 : 2nd March 2008 at 15:54.
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

musicman - price seems to be ok provided as every one has pointed out the car is indeed in good condition..

to add on - whats the condition of the tires? if it looks already bald, then remember u are going to be set back by another 15-18k. so negotiate hard and dont let the deal slip through !!
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:51   #7
BHPian

Is it the orange GTX ? The number being 02 N xx95 ??

Last edited by toiingg : 2nd March 2008 at 18:56.
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:13   #8
BHPian

toiingg......it's not that car I believe, as it's not orange. do you thing it's a good deal.

I'm just worried about spare parts, like side mirrors, head lights, fog lights, and other minor things on the extior being available. I have also read in mags that the electircals of the Palio are not reliable, and that spare parts are very expensive.

I don't know if there is a improvement after the Fiat Tata tie up as I don't own either. I drive a Zen, and it may not be the best car but spares are dirt cheap and easily available.
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I'm just worried about spare parts, like side mirrors, head lights, fog lights, and other minor things on the extior being available. I have also read in mags that the electircals of the Palio are not reliable, and that spare parts are very expensive.
Mman, while we have all heard horror stories, i don't think the situation is all that bad. I went through the same dilemma while looking for a palio for myself. As far as spares go, i believe they're not as expensive as they're made out to be. The headlights for example cost three thousand for the pair, which isn't all that bad.
You can pm moralfibre on the forum for any doubts you have about the car and maintenance as he has a record of every ruppee spent on his car till date.
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a good option for 1.5 lacs.We need to give the same amount for an alto or a m-800 at times.Check the vehicle for any damage or replacement for that matter which might cost you a fortune.Else the deal looks fine.
ram
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6, II owner, AC not cooling, all points to an old battered car,not 35k odo, please be careful
Old 4th March 2008, 21:07   #12
BHPian

To add to that the car already has a free flow and eagle F1's. (spoke to musicmanaman who updated me on this)

Even if the mileage on the odo is genuine, my main concern is that it was owned by enthusiasts, and hence would have been ripped often.

What would you say now guys, is it worth taking a risk ?
Old 4th March 2008, 21:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
To add to that the car already has a free flow and eagle F1's. (spoke to musicmanaman who updated me on this)

Even if the mileage on the odo is genuine, my main concern is that it was owned by enthusiasts, and hence would have been ripped often.

What would you say now guys, is it worth taking a risk ?
What are the chances, that a Palio 1.6 GTX will be picked up by a non-enthusiast? Enthusiast's, may like to explore the limits on their cars, but are also known to take utmost care of what they consider as their babies.

Get it, you can solve problems while living with it.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th March 2008 at 21:46.
Old 4th March 2008, 21:52   #14
BHPian

Can you just confirm whether the trip meter is working or not, Because strangely enough , all Palios with tampered meters tend to have their Tripmeters conked out.

Also check the engine for Back Pressure, Ball Joints of the Front Suspension and The AC Coil.

If all the above are OK, Go for the Car man , there aint a better ride in the whole world in this size and at this price

Pls note: These are all presumptions without seeing the CAR, the engine bay Pics and the Pics of the Roof can give us some more Idea, but as they say EMPTOR CAVEAT (buyer beware) It is your money
Old 4th March 2008, 22:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

One very important question for you,musicman.
Could you live with 7-8kmpl ,if at all ,thats what it can give?

Most Viewed