Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:21   #1
BANNED

i10 or spark - EDIT: Bought Spark LT

hi all........after reading team-bhp forum n other reviews for almost one month i have short listed 2 cars, but cant decide between these two i10 and chevy spark...i am new to cars so which one to choose as my first car?.
i will be driving the car(with parents) 30% in city and rest NH,my ideal cruising speed will be b/w 60-80kms

i am only considered abt the following factors:

Comfortable seating
Good Suspension
Mileage
Driving comfort and seating position
Drivers outside view(straight n side)
Maintenance(max km per year will be 5-6k)

pick up and more space inside the car doesnt matters,first i was going for spark but then i heard that it has low gear ratios compared to others.I dont like low gear ratioed cars ,becoz of bad experience with low gear ratioed bike that i had once (tvs victor 110).
That bike was worse than even HH splendor its only smooth till 45km then it starts to vibrate a little(all victor 110cc hav this problem).I think this is due to low gear ratios it had(all tvs bikes including RTR hav low gear ratios).
So i am afraid to go for spark,already in roadtest it has been proven that spark has less mileage wen driven in 80km becos of its low gear ratios(18km) wer zen esitilo has (24km/l) at 80 km speed.Since i cant take a TD(still learning) wt i want to ask is , is spark smooth in 70-90km range? i mean der shud not be a hint of vibration wen driving at that speed,wt abt i10 in this case,which one has better smoother drive in this speed???
please reply.....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th March 2008 at 09:59.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:08   #2
bkm
BHPian

spark is very smooth and a joy to ride. i took the test drive of i10 before finally deciding on spark. It is very compact but spacious from inside.About mileage it should be about 12-13 km/l with ac on in Mumbai. , which is comparale with i10.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy, first you need to cut the SMS lingo. Otherwise you would get pulled up by our ever vigilant moderators. Please read the rules before you post. I had a tough time understanding your last few lines. :-)

If you didn't like the Spark then just go for the i10. However its better if you do a test drive personally and then decide. 18 kmpl or 24 kmpl is all hogwash. You are likely to get around 14.

Finish your learning and then take one for a drive. Get a friend who can drive or who has a car to help you out. Considering your factors it is best that you do it personally. Coz drivers comfort, view, seating position etc all depend on the driver and his height/girth/reach etc.
Old 4th March 2008, 07:28   #4
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted.
Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th March 2008 at 09:58.
splitsecond is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2008, 09:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have test driven Spark at speeds of 70-90 km, no vibrations felt at all.

As others have pointed out, it's better to test drive yourself to decide which one suits your specific requirement about drivers view, seating position. Both cars are equally capable.
Old 4th March 2008, 09:47   #6
BHPian

After test drive, I liked Spark too ( even previously i had Maruti swift) ...But Only problem is flutuating price of spark like shares, that also 30,000 - 50,000 less or more.....i can say it's like mid-cap stock.....may be after TATA Nano launch, you may get Rs 1,00,000 discount for spark....it's possible.
Old 4th March 2008, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Spark for your requirement. On the other hand i10 is loaded with luxury interiors, slightly large space.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:06   #8
BHPian

both are equally competent.

since this is the first car you would be buying, i would suggest you take an extensive drive of both and make your decision based on that.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Both these cars are fighting amoung themselves in the same segment.But the most astonishing fact is that both of them are miles apart as far as pricing is concerned.Spark is a better value for money option.i10 is too pricey but looks better than the spark.Still i would prefer spark as there is almost 50 k difference in pricing.
ram
Old 4th March 2008, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Go for Spark!

Spark any time! I too was in same delima and finally bought Spark LS 2 days back (on after budget prices). Believe me, its a better choice anytime. My reason for going for spark were:
  • I drove both the cars and found spark way better in terms of performance. It has a super silent and smooth engine.
  • GMs standard warranty of 3 years or 1 lac kms speaks for their confidence in the product.
  • This may be my personal view but I found the gear lever awkward in the i10 which protudes from the dash. Felt little uncomfertable for driving.
  • You have to shell out 65k more for the i10 to get the same features as the spark.
  • All the service centres of hyundai are flooded with too many cars always. This is not so in case of GM. Thus your car gets personal attention whenever you take it for service.
  • Wordwide, GM has a far better reputation than the korean brand 'Hyundai'.
  • The centre mounted speedo is the 'in' thing worldwide. Gives a fresh look to the car.
  • I never found any article/report on the net/magazine which did not recommend spark.
  • Finally.... come on yaar, try thinking something fresh apart from Maruti and Hyundai. You bet it will be woth it!

Old 4th March 2008, 10:23   #11
BANNED

I Know 2 Spark owners and both are not happy with its perfomance and costly spares and even i feel it sucks after switching on the AC with 4 people on it, i10 is quite good compared to Spark even milage is far better at around 15-16 KMPL in city driving(my brother is getting 16.5 in Pune city driving with 50% AC) compared to 12.5-13 KMPL of Sparks milage.Check both cars and decide and plus point in i10 is its interiors even many cars in C segment is not having that kinda quality interiors.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:01   #12
bkm
BHPian

I as a user can say that spark with AC does not feel very strained even with 4 people on board. It is almost same as in i10.After all with 995 cc engine " Kya Bachhe ki jaan loge". spark spare part list is available non the net . It is no way costlier and are quite comparable with wagon r and santro.Then there is GM assurance of Rs 12999 max maintenance exp in 3 years. Moreover one will have to shelve around 60 k more for i10 .
Old 4th March 2008, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
hi all........
i will be driving the car(with parents) 30% in city and rest NH,my ideal cruising speed will be b/w 60-80kms

i am only considered abt the following factors:

Comfortable seating
Good Suspension
Mileage
Driving comfort and seating position
Drivers outside view(straight n side)
Maintenance(max km per year will be 5-6k)

Hello there... are your priorities right? If you plan to do 70% on NH, I would suggest more priority on safety. Considering that you are new to car driving, i would suggest Seat Belts, ABS and Airbags as must.

That will narrow down your choice to i10.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Hello there... are your priorities right? If you plan to do 70% on NH, I would suggest more priority on safety. Considering that you are new to car driving, i would suggest Seat Belts, ABS and Airbags as must.

That will narrow down your choice to i10.
I think the Spark with option pack also has these (unless GM's changed the specs along with the reduced discount). Check it up with the dealer or on their website.

If you do like the spark, wait a couple of months for the next discount to come along.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:43   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
spark is very smooth and a joy to ride. i took the test drive of i10 before finally deciding on spark. It is very compact but spacious from inside.About mileage it should be about 12-13 km/l with ac on in Mumbai. , which is comparale with i10.
is it smooth at 80-90km/s ? what about the highway mileage without AC?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks