Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 16:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Bolero lack the Image part, its neither as Tough as a Scorpio nor as stylish as the Swift. So if Image is not a problem then only Bolero is option
Old 5th March 2008, 16:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
But driving around in city will be tough when compared to Swift, obviously.
I dont think so!

most other road users will stay away from the Bolero and give it a wide berth.

And even (I am speculating here) if someone does knock against it, you will be spending lesser than you would when compared to a Swift.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Some more information on him.He already has a palio d and an indica dls.Indica is used by him for a daily commute of 100kms.He intent to sell one of them and get either of the above.if he gets the swift he will be using it and the palio his father.if he gets the bolero he will take the palio and bolero his father.He has already got a good price for his indica..
Though his father will be using the bolero he can use it on the week ends.
ram
that brings in one more person into the equation - his father...

i think depending on what he prefers - either palio or bolero - the decision could be made

option 1 - if father is ok with palio - ur cousin can go for swift

option 2 - if father wants bolero - then ur cousin has to settle for the palio...

option 3 - but if ur cousin wants best of both worlds which is drive a hatch during week and do offroading during weekend, he should go for bolero

cheers:
Old 5th March 2008, 18:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I was thinking in the same lines of ROTOR HEAD.Since there are 2 hatches already in the family why not an suv.He has to take a decission by tommorow evening.I have already conveyed the opinions comming here.
ram
come on, the Bolero aint no SUV :P
Plus trust me, if you are one of those who like cruising on the highways at 110-115, the Bolero will be a pain. Specially while overtaking. I had one with me for over a week and i still remember how i struggled to over the VRL volvo on the Expressway!

It is a good vehicle no doubt, but i think the OTR price of the Bolero runs in the 6lac category. Correct me if im wrong
Old 5th March 2008, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> What about road tax? Parking fees (fee - not just space)? Tolls? Are these > not more for Bolero than Swift?

If it is a 7 seater, road tax is just 6% of the invoice amount for life time. If not, it is per year. I am not aware of the rate. Could be cheaper if it is not going to be with the owner for more than 5 years.

Bolero comes under LMV and so the parking fees as well as toll charges are the same.

> With bolero, you can go in for "private service" vehicle registration to save > on one time tax, but the driver will need to have a "badge" (aka taxi
> license) for driving such vehicles.

I doubt 'badge' is needed to drive a white board (non commercial) vehicle. In the 30 months I drove the Versa, I was not asked for the badge nor was I stopped to check for 'taxi' use in Kerala or Tamil Nadu.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:13   #21
BHPian

i don't think its right going in for a new car purely based on financials.... i dont see the use for a nice bolero if all its going to do is drop kids to school and drive him to office.

tell him to go by the usage of the vehicle rather than the space for price method.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
With bolero, you can go in for "private service" vehicle registration to save on one time tax, but the driver will need to have a "badge" (aka taxi license) for driving such vehicles.
Nope, no such thing. Bolero falls under the LMV category.
Old 5th March 2008, 23:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Bolero definitely has that MUV'ish image. If it was the Scorpio, it was a different story. I definitely would suggest to stick to the Swift. He will really enjoy it.
Old 6th March 2008, 00:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about road tax? Parking fees (fee - not just space)? Tolls? Are these not more for Bolero than Swift?

What about the extra checking at inter-state border checkposts and in the home and other states to verify "unauthorised taxi" checking?

With bolero, you can go in for "private service" vehicle registration to save on one time tax, but the driver will need to have a "badge" (aka taxi license) for driving such vehicles.

if we put aside for the official costs of badging and things for a moment, then i say, the cops will try and harass more illegally though for more bribe than the other vehicles looking at the size of the vehicles, and will try at every possible point to get more bribe, forget the rules for a second, if highway use is a lot then just be prepared for the things like this.

i was harassed in my viva for the same had to waste an hour of my journey time and finally paid a few hundreds and left, the reason was he said i am not allowed to carry anybody else in the car except the family members no friends and said these rules existed in his and book which was in marati, of course i was stopped at sangi while returning back to hyd, and all the trouble. aaahhh man.

i say just be prepared for things like this, and any one has any clue what can be done at such situations? when the cop shows you a marati/regional language hand book of rules and is hell bent on wasting you journey time inspite of all the documents being correct?
Old 6th March 2008, 12:30   #25
BHPian

Grande?

Sorry to OT. Ram.. you didnt suggest Grande?

Quote:
What about road tax? Parking fees (fee - not just space)? Tolls? Are these not more for Bolero than Swift?

What about the extra checking at inter-state border checkposts and in the home and other states to verify "unauthorised taxi" checking?

Again how/ where do i find the information about LMV, badge etc? I am seriously considering Grande as my primary vehicle - I havent considered these aspects. Do I need to get a new license?
Old 6th March 2008, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Grande was put aside basically as he was not comfortable with the sumo badge.Altogether its a good vehicle but lacks the initial grunt.But if we start thinking like that we would begin climbing the ladder and may end up in a pajaero.
ram
Old 6th March 2008, 13:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Sorry to OT. Ram.. you didnt suggest Grande?
Again how/ where do i find the information about LMV, badge etc? I am seriously considering Grande as my primary vehicle - I havent considered these aspects. Do I need to get a new license?
I dont think you would require a badge for Grande. If you use it as a private service vehicle, you might require a badge.

A private vehicle and private service vehicle are different. Private service vehicle falls into the taxi category, I guess, for which you would require a badge.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:27   #28
BANNED

Bolero comes under LMV. You can drive around anywhere in India in that vehicle without being stopped for any issues related to whom or what you are carrying.

A cop can take money for literally anything. So its just your bad luck. Next time carry a copy of the rules under the RTO for that state while travelling outside your state, they are common anyways. I have a nicely printed copy of all the rules and regulations kept with my car papers in the car. You need to see the cops face when you ask him which rule and ask him to wait until you check. 90% of the time he wouldnt know that the general public has access to the information. Fight for your rights if you are in the right, it pays.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:40   #29
BANNED

I thought that something came with same Engine, may be Palio or GP or Indica or UVa.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 6th March 2008 at 15:42.
Old 6th March 2008, 17:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think they need badge.I think badge is needed for big vehicles like big vans like tempo traveller tata 407 and above.For bolero,safari etc no need of badge unless it is a taxi.

Most Viewed