Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 09:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

An interesting alternative to the Swift LDi

I was having a discussion with my cousin.He was all set for a swift ldi.Then all of a sudden he put forward an option in front of me.Why not a bolero.The version of bolero with power stearing and a/c with power windows were in the 5.5 lakh bracket.Bigger vehicle,Looks wise i am a fan for bolero.Mileage of arround 16 kmpl according to users here.
swift ldi is 4.63lakh ex showroom,better engine according to me.mileage of arround 18-20 kmpl.
post your opinion guys and help my cousin out.

ram
Old 5th March 2008, 09:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

simple. does he want a car or an muv? the swift will be much easier and more fun to drive.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well! Bolero is definitely more robust and if your cousin likes MUV's as Akshay had mentioned, he can go for it. I am not sure about the maintenance though and On the other hand swift is more fun to drive.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about the Get-away?

Bolero top end costs just below 6lac OTR. Will look great and will be spacious. safer than Swift.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:17   #5
BHPian

The bolero would be fun, You can use it for mild off-roading as well. Moreover the Bolero SLX also comes with an option for 4WD. I think its the most viable SUV to buy at this price bracket. If I had enough Vitamin M, I would have gone for the Bolero SLX.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:25   #6
BANNED

Taxes, Tolls and Driving License

What about road tax? Parking fees (fee - not just space)? Tolls? Are these not more for Bolero than Swift?

What about the extra checking at inter-state border checkposts and in the home and other states to verify "unauthorised taxi" checking?

With bolero, you can go in for "private service" vehicle registration to save on one time tax, but the driver will need to have a "badge" (aka taxi license) for driving such vehicles.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th March 2008 at 10:31. Reason: More info
Old 5th March 2008, 10:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

this is more like redefining car purchase decisions..

start with your budget alone as the criteria and then look at all cars in that bracket and then narrow down on which one you want...

actually this reminded me of how M&M used the "sedan positioning" to sell the SCORPIO

any more info on what your cousin is looking for from the vehicle ?
Old 5th March 2008, 10:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

NOw that is what I call an IDEA... Bolero of course has the road presence. A well mantained Black / White Bolero would look better than a Swift any day.

Of course Swifts engine, handling etc will be much better.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I was having a discussion with my cousin.He was all set for a swift ldi.Then all of a sudden he put forward an option in front of me.Why not a bolero.The version of bolero with power stearing and a/c with power windows were in the 5.5 lakh bracket.Bigger vehicle,Looks wise i am a fan for bolero.Mileage of arround 16 kmpl according to users here.
swift ldi is 4.63lakh ex showroom,better engine according to me.mileage of arround 18-20 kmpl.

ram
swift ldi vs bolero.? going by this i guess your cousin is just looking for a vehicle below 6lacs and isnt really worried about whether its a car or a MUV. That being the case if your cousing could makedo with some rough riding, comparitively higher NVH and lower FE and comfort then he can go for the bolero just for the sheer fun of having a tough MUV. I personally love the rugged looks of the bolero. If only the interiors where a little more refined. But what more can u expect for that price tag. If your cousin is more of a city person then go for the no-nonsense swift
Old 5th March 2008, 10:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some more information on him.He already has a palio d and an indica dls.Indica is used by him for a daily commute of 100kms.He intent to sell one of them and get either of the above.if he gets the swift he will be using it and the palio his father.if he gets the bolero he will take the palio and bolero his father.He has already got a good price for his indica..
Though his father will be using the bolero he can use it on the week ends.
ram
Old 5th March 2008, 11:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Some more information on him.He already has a palio d and an indica dls.Indica is used by him for a daily commute of 100kms.He intent to sell one of them and get either of the above.if he gets the swift he will be using it and the palio his father.if he gets the bolero he will take the palio and bolero his father.He has already got a good price for his indica..
ram
Since they already have a hatch in the family for city riding, guess a bolero would be a nice addition to the family . Your cousin could go do some rough riding on the bolero during the weekend. But the question is if his father would get used to the MUV after driving the Indica and palio for so long. He will initially have to get used to the rough cluthes, gears and road handling with the bolero.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ram
in that case he better take the swift. he will enjoy the swift much more than the palio.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:57   #13
BHPian

I read somewhere that M&M is coming out with "mild hybrid" and "full hybrid" versions of Scorpio and "mild hybrid" version of Bolero sometime in June. I don't know how reliable the news source is. With an excise duty of 14%, would they price it competitively? At least, price it at par (that is, current prices) for the hybrid version. I also don't know whether the excise rebate applies for a mild hybrid vehicle.

Here is the excerpt:

M&M, for instance, has decided that all its future vehicles will have a hybrid option and is engineering its models accordingly. A hybrid Bolero is expected in three or four months.

Auto-makers rev up to launch green vehicles

Pradeep

Quote:
I was having a discussion with my cousin.He was all set for a swift ldi.Then all of a sudden he put forward an option in front of me.Why not a bolero.

ram

Last edited by pradkumar : 5th March 2008 at 12:07.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking in the same lines of ROTOR HEAD.Since there are 2 hatches already in the family why not an suv.He has to take a decission by tommorow evening.I have already conveyed the opinions comming here.
ram
Old 5th March 2008, 16:01   #15
BHPian

Bolero is better when it comes to road presence. It is much sturdy and driveability is also good. It can be also used for carrying mor eload and also a little bit of off-roading.

But driving around in city will be tough when compared to Swift, obviously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks