Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift Vxi or Ldi? EDIT: Bought Ldi

Hi All,

I am hunting for a car from 8 months and finally narrowed down to Swift petrol Vxi (White). I Currently Own Daewoo Matiz (SG) 2000 modle which has run 73K till date, so my approximate monthly useage is 833 kms. I have heard lots of Critisism on the net about the FE of Swift Petrol, so M planning to go in for Ldi which is comming to 5,00,000 on Road Goa and where as Vxi comes to 4,80,000.
The Difference is 20K between petrol & diesel. is it worth to go in for Ldi for my useage? i am planning to retain my new car atleast 7-8 years. I also want to know how much will be the maintainance cost (Normal Servicing) as compared to petrol Swift?

Help Me in deciding my new car

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2008 at 16:17. Reason: Only two Smilies allowed
Old 6th March 2008, 14:23   #2
BHPian

performance and power will be better for LDI and it all depends on how much your use it.if its limited then go for swift petrol.its just my opinion
Old 6th March 2008, 14:30   #3
BHPian

Since you are looking to retain swift for 7-8 years, so anytime LDI will give you best advantage in terms of Fuel Economy. After 4 yrs running diesel cars are always profitable if monthly running is around 1000km or above.
My suggestion would be to go for LDI. One more reason is that there is not much difference left in the price of VXI and LDI which you also know i.e 20k. So it would be much practical decision to go for LDI.
The servicing cost of LDI is not much and also Diesel engines require service after 1.5 times as compared to petrol car.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
The servicing cost of LDI is not much and also Diesel engines require service after 1.5 times as compared to petrol car.
Care to elaborate that ? Are you saying that a petrol would be serviced every 10K kms and a diesel 1.5*10 = 15 K Kms ?

Or the diesel would require service every 7.k k kms ?
Old 6th March 2008, 14:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

i would suggest you go with Vxi and add ABS if you can, unless you plan to run more after buying a diesel car.

MODS: could you merge it with another very similar thread from the gentleman from chennai

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2008 at 14:52.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

ZXi.

You love your life and your family, don't you? Few more k = peace of mind for the next so many years.

Your usage, with all due respect, doesnt justify a diesel.

And a diesel is good, but a petrol is pretty darn quick as well.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:17   #7
BHPian

This is a no brainer. The DDiS is fun to drive and extremely fuel efficient. Since there is only a marginal difference in price, you'll start saving on your fuel bills in a very short time over the petrol version.

There is nothing you gain going for the petrol version. DDiS is the way to go!
Old 6th March 2008, 15:39   #8
BHPian

I think these replies will help him to get more confused as we get alternate posts favoring both diesel and petrol. Can't we calculate the expense based on his monthly average clocking KMs, fuel consuption, the EMI (if its under loan) etc? For example, let us assume he clock 833 kms in a month. A Vxi will return 12 kpl and ldi will return 15 kpl in city (rough estimate - owners please post it. I get 12kpl in my VXi in city).

So 833/12 = 69.4 * 50 (petrol price in Tvm) = 3470
833/15 = 55.5 * 36 (diesel) = 1999 round it = 2000

EMI (roughly calculating 1750 for lac)
4,80000 = 8400
5,00000 = 8750

So, if he chooses LDi, the expense will be lesser. but if he want more gizmos and need to get a VDi, then his EMI will increase almost for another lac and then the VXi make sense. I am not saying these calculations are correct and 100% true in long runs. But this can be a pointer when you look for a new car and puzzled in choosing a petrol vs diesel of same brand with similar prices. Other factors to be taken care are service intervals, service expense, engine life, the frequency of repairs etc.
Old 6th March 2008, 15:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pray please tell me who offers Rs1750 per lac emi
Old 6th March 2008, 15:56   #10
BHPian

I got loan from SBT (State bank of Travencore - associated to SBI) and the EMI is approx 1750 per lac for 7 years. They offer 90% finance of the OTR price too. Also if your records are pukka and sal and bank transactions are fine, you need only 2-3 days to apply / sanction / delivery process if vehicle is there stocked with the dealer. For me it took 3 days to apply and get my VXi home
Old 6th March 2008, 16:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ok 7 years is fine I was wondering who gives at this rate it for 5 years.

Cool that was one fast processed loan
Old 6th March 2008, 16:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

yaar,

I just never get this. First we all behave like complete chindi chors and then we wonder why excise budget only favors choti cars.

For someone who drives like 800km in a month, IMNSHO, safety is as important as saving like 1500 bucks a month. If he wanted to count pennies, he can buy an alto instead of a 5.5L swift na? He already has a similar car - Or heck, buy Bajaj XCD!!
Old 6th March 2008, 16:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For someone who drives like 800km in a month, IMNSHO, safety is as important as saving like 1500 bucks a month. If he wanted to count pennies, he can buy an alto instead of a 5.5L swift na? He already has a similar car - Or heck, buy Bajaj XCD!!
I agree. Actually the question was LDi or VXi, and if that is the case, LDI wins with a slight margin in terms of economy. But I had a budget of around 5.5 and asked to choose a Swift, I would have gone for ZXi as it packed with more safety featurs and price is almost similar to the VDi version. Hence I would rate it as more VFM with good features.
Old 6th March 2008, 23:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

In your case i would recomend the vxi.For 8 years you had done arrond 78k on the matiz which was a very fuel efficient car.its just less than 9k per year.your fuel bill is too low for the justification for diesel.The mantenence of both diesel and petrol are the same -i believe regarding the interval of service.If you have some more bucks go for the vxi-abs variant.VALUE FOR MONEY and safe too.
ram
Old 7th March 2008, 13:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you leave the economy part aside, DDiS is far more fun to drive than the Swift Petrol. Not that VXi does not drive well. Buddy, its not about breaking even to justify the costly diesel. I would suggest only one thing. Just test drive both and buy the one which you feel is more fun to drive. I'm sure even with 73K for next 8 years, you will easily break even on the diesel. Also, if you can stretch for another 30k, you get the VDi. VDi is more VFM, I feel. Still better VDi+ABS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks