Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 17:08   #16
rippergeo

I hope you've not gone and got the getz. handling is a major issue there. even if straight line speed in the stock car will have most sedans wetting their pants.

overall the diesel is faaaaar more fun to drive. I've had both, and i decided to get rid of the petrol.

after peteing it the FE goes up, and the car really turns into a pocket rocket.

so bang for buck/BHP per rupee is better for vdi with pete's, but like u said, if your going all out on a petrol with a turbo and NOS, the sky is the limit. however i sense that you're not keen on extensive mods.

Old 7th December 2007, 19:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

my opinion would be to go for a Swift D with A pete's Kit! it would really blow everything else on the road and leave people with mouths open

but then hey ultimately its you who should decide
Old 7th December 2007, 20:05   #18
BHPian

to answer ur Q
Higher revving engine ie the petrol means that ur powerband is higher in RPM range
Whereas if u go for the Diesel, then u get much better low end grunt [low RPM range] so it'll fly off the start line better than the petrol [without a rev start]
Go for the D over the petrol, i've driven both, and am a HUGE fan of the fiat engines, like the one in the Swift D, so go for it and mod it any which way u want, because that will give you much better power, and not sacrifice the drivability in traffic or such situations...
And if budget is not an issue, or you feel that you want MAX power then you will have to go in for the petrol, no 2 ways about it
Old 7th December 2007, 23:35   #19

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i would suggest you to go for a petrol swift.the fun of revving an engine to the moon is different feel all together.
as far as i see it,there isn't you can get done on the swift diesel after you have installed a pete's chip.but in a petrol engine,you can go for filters,exhaust,cams,portin polishing etc.the only thing you can do in the swift d is get the petes chip and an air filter.
but yes i would request you to take a test drive of both the cars before you decide...you probably might be the low down torque guy rather than the high rpm guy.
Old 8th December 2007, 07:02   #20
rippergeo

How does more torque feel?

It feels GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
but seriously, torque is what makes your car accelerate quicker.
torque also lets you slot the car in 4th gear at 30kmph in traffic and potter around behind an amby/auto/bullock cart, when you see a gap, you will be able to accelerate away without downshifting, unlike in a petrol car/car with lesser torque, you'll have to downshift to 2nd or 3rd to overtake said amby/bullock cart quickly before the state transport bus in the opposite lane mows you down.

I have not been able to co relate horsepower with real life driving except that- higher horsepower lets you get higher top speeds.

the confusing factor is.... most cars with high horsepower have high torque too, but for a given cubic capacity engine, producing the same horsepower or similar horsepower, the diesel will make more torque.

So- bottom line go DIESEL if you want minimal mods/ cost effective mods
go petrol if you want max power- but economy will go out of the window

also note= more the mods, lesser the reliability.

what am I trying to say???? buy diesel man!

Old 9th December 2007, 00:13   #21
BHPian

I am commenting purely based on my experience of driving both the cars unmodded. The D's torque makes it infinitely more fun to drive than the P. If I were you, it would be the D for me!
Old 9th December 2007, 02:46   #22
BHPian

some people think downshifting into second at 50 km/h is a bad thing. They're sane, like saving money, and would buy the diesel.

the thing about most of these japanese-origin petrol engines is that they dont come alive until you get into the upper end of the rev range. so if you want to 'feel the power' all the time, get a diesel.

with a petrol, 99% of the time you have an ordinary, boring car. but then once in a while you hold second gear until you hit 90 km/h and the engine that you normally cant hear is screaming at you... thats a nice feeling.

so to sum it up.

instant gratification and a sensible car = diesel
once in a while exhillaration = petrol
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:48   #23
BHPian

Too much peted power is never good. One friend's Diesel Swift got tossed up and down and did 3-4 somer saults during an accident due to the insane diesel power and was completely damaged beyond good looking repairs. I admit his driving style was also not good but too much power is never good. Besides in Cities, a sudden burst of torque can damage the bumpers due to collisions with other cars / autos and motor cycles because in city there is a complete bumper to bumper traffic. He also suffered many injuries but is out of danger. I simply do not understand why do enthusiasts hype speed and turbo so much ? In fact it is easier to have an accident in a pulsar 200 than in a platina or discoverer 135. Safety is also important.

Now that friend has gone in for a second hand petrol old car as he was already broke by spending 5.7 lacs for a Diesel.

Besides in Diesel the normal roughness of the car is beginning to surf after 2000 - 300 km on the odo. What about that ? Check some threads.

Diesel ban by Supreme court is also yet to be seen.

Petrol to Diesel comparisions - Diesel makes sense only for above 1700 or 2000 km per month. Return period being at least 3 - 3.5 yrs for this usage. By that time the odo should be 55,000 km or so. What's the resale value at that time only God knows.

The Diesel surely feels more fun while driving and the torque is too good. Factor in all points and then decide. Petrols can be converted to CNG and LPG easier and Esteem Engine is a time tested engine. Not to say that the Fiat Multijet is bad but something time tested is always better.

Average Mileage as seen :-
Petrol - 11 - 12.5
Diesel - 16 - 21

Last edited by Tech : 2nd February 2008 at 15:06.
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Go for Swift D. The performance is far better than its petrol counterpart and if you Pete it, you will definately enjoy the ride.
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

After driving Kartik Kumar's stock D Swift with Pete's disconnected on the way back from Vaahan Yatra, it is my strong belief that the diesel Swift is much more fun to drive than the petrol Swift.

Mildly put, if I was in the market now for a new car, I'd have gone in for the diesel Swift.
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the OP hasnt replied in 3 months!!!!

That said let me add my 2 paise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
budget is no bar....i m willing to go all out...
Swift Petrol with a G16 engine, Upgrade everything (Tranny, Brakes, Suspension, Gearbox, TC/SC, Intercooler etc).

OR import a Swift GTi, yeah baby, you know you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
After driving Kartik Kumar's stock D Swift with Pete's disconnected on the way back from Vaahan Yatra, it is my strong belief that the diesel Swift is much more fun to drive than the petrol Swift.

Mildly put, if I was in the market now for a new car, I'd have gone in for the diesel Swift.
Saaar, entha buddhi? Why disconnect
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post

Saaar, entha buddhi? Why disconnect
Illa swami. It was already disconnected and safely stored in Kartik's house from many days before VY. The poor soul had developed neck problems at around the time and the extra surge from Pete's was definitely not recommended alongwith car driving as a whole.
Old 2nd February 2008, 18:33   #28
BHPian

he said budget is not an issue so don't you'll think that a turbo petrol swift will be better than a pete'd swift D
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have been noticing your posts since quite a long time and you seem to be anti diesel and pro petrol

Anyways to take away the misconceptions you have, i would like to put a few points.

Quote:
One friend's Diesel Swift got tossed up and down and did 3-4 somer saults during an accident due to the insane diesel power and was completely damaged beyond good looking repairs.
What tires was he running, what speeds was he doing? Did his car have ABS? The torque of the Swift is nothing compared to the torque what the Verna engine offers, drive a Verna and you will notice there is no internal combustion, but a nuclear explosion happening inside the hood.

Quote:
Besides in Cities, a sudden burst of torque can damage the bumpers due to collisions with other cars / autos and motor cycles because in city there is a complete bumper to bumper traffic.
When cars like Accords, BMWs, Mercs are driven in the City its fine, right? You have to adjust according to the car.

Quote:
In fact it is easier to have an accident in a pulsar 200 than in a platina or discoverer 135. Safety is also important.
While i agree safety is important, i totally disagree about the former part. A Pulsar 200 will have far better tires, suspension, chassis then the Platina or Discover, making the 200 a more controlled and stable ride.

Quote:
Diesel ban by Supreme court is also yet to be seen.
Petrols cost was supposed to be reduced to Rs. 37 by evading all state taxes, we are still seeing whats happening to the cost.

Quote:
Petrol to Diesel comparisions - Diesel makes sense only for above 1700 or 2000 km per month. Return period being at least 3 - 3.5 yrs for this usage. By that time the odo should be 55,000 km or so. What's the resale value at that time only God knows.
Quoting Thad's post from another thread. A very well said post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I will never recover the cost of my solar water heater in reduced electricity (though I would use a lot less hot water if it was heated electrically).

I doubt that I'll recover the cost of my Zero-B water purifier in not buying canned water.

I don't, according to the theory, do nearly enough driving to financially support the decision to buy a diesel.

It's not all about balancing the books.

I had, when we renovated this house, some money to spend on toys, and did so. I wanted the diesel experience, and never really considered the petrol Swift.

Its about experience, choice, pride of ownership, pleasure.
Quote:
Factor in all points and then decide.
You cant use a calulator like a shopkeeper and decide which turns out cheaper now can you, it that is the case, the only cars on the road will be the most FE car.

Quote:
Petrols can be converted to CNG and LPG easier and Esteem Engine is a time tested engine. Not to say that the Fiat Multijet is bad but something time tested is always better.
What about the warranty, resale then? You know how much LPG costs as of today? What about boot space? Is a car only about being cheap to run and cheap to buy, you have to factor in much more. Why buy a hatch with no boot, atleast you can use the small boot, where will the sub go? Esteem engine may be time tested, but its high time for that engine to be shut production, its highly old and the engine characteristics show, poor low end torque, noisy.

Quote:
Petrol - 11 - 12.5
While the diesel gives around 16-17 in City with ease, the Petrol Swift gives 10 at best, have been driving the petrol Swift on 165mm tires with speeds less then 100 and less then 3k and i can vouch for that.
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
.., the Petrol Swift gives 10 at best, ..
No BUSA, not all petrol Swifts. The one associated with me gives a worst of 13.3 kmpl and a best of 15.6 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic depending on the route taken to office. That makes it an average of 14.45 kmpl with 85% AC. I also drive around with upsized 15" wheels.

But, I fear, I've digressed from the main topic being discussed here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks