Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 22:29   #46
rippergeo

if you get the diesel, you will automatically drive more. and if its the petrol, you will always be calculating how much its costing you to travel.
suppose you wake up one sunday morning and want to take a long drive, say 300kms,it will cost you-20 litres of diesel(worst case scenario) which is roughly Rs650
or if its a petrol-23 litres(best case scenario) which will cost you roughly Rs1200

Rs 1200 is not an easy amount to spend on an impulse drive.
Rs650 might not be an easy expenditure either, but its easier than 1200.

what i'm trying to say is- once you get the diesel, you'll be ruled by the bank balance a lot less.

i prefer taking the extra 1 lac hit and paying a fixed amount every EMI than calculating everytime I go to the fuel pump. peace of mind, and fun to drive.

why bother buying petrol swift? its a great car, but our govts stupid fuel pricing policy tilts the balance in favour of the diesel. heavily.

Old 29th April 2008, 15:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Rocks

Higher monthly running or not.... DIESEL ROCKS!!!
And trust me, when you fill her up and you see the phenomenal mileage, you will certainly consider driving more ofter....so fill her up again.....DIESEL ROCKS!!!cheers:
Old 29th April 2008, 15:59   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

dont bother about monthly running and everything else.
I would suggest the Swift ZDi definitely.
The new gen Diesel engine has the same performance as the petrol Swift.

Better car. Superb Diesel Engine. Great price on Fuel. Why not? Provided you have the budget of course even if it is a bit of a stretch.

Ive been on Diesel for a few years now and despite my monthly running being around 1000 kms on average, am clearly finding the pinch to be less.

which is why, despite living in bangalore (read congested city with horrible traffic), I still use my Diesel Scorp rather than the Petrol Swift, most days, for most things - except when Im going deep into severely congested places where parking is a problem.

In your case with the Diesel Swift you should not face even that problem.

whatever you decide finally, wish you a happy and enjoyable new car
Old 30th April 2008, 08:46   #49
BHPian

My usage is hardly 400 km per month, but still went ahead to buy a Swift Diesel. Believe me, Swift D is more easy to drive in city (Bangalore) - read stop and go traffic. Also my other car in my home town (Coimbatore) is Swift petrol and comparatively Swift D rocks!
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:49   #50
BHPian

Here is my comparision...

Cost of diesel(regular, Bangalore price) - 36.4
Average mileage of swift-D (highway+city) - 18
Cost per km - 2.02

Cost per 15K km per year - 30,333.33

Petrol - 52.86
Mileage - 14
Cost per km - 3.77

Cost per 15K km per year - 56,635.71

Saving per year with Diesel - 26,302.38

Extra initial cost with diesel - 80,000

Time to break even - 3.04 years

This is not even considering the interest part.
But I went for diesel because I prefer initial investment as opposed to feeling pinch every month.

Choice is yours. you can put these in an excel sheet, and change prices, and average run per year, and arrive at your conclusion
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:04   #51
BHPian

What about service costs?

I suppose the service costs especially at 20k intervals are higher for diesel than its petrol sibling!
Old 5th May 2008, 23:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

What about uphill race?

What about up a gradient? Say uphill, which is better petrol or diesel swift? If both were to climb up a steep incline, at crawl speed then diesel swift will be more comfortable because of all the torque at lower rpm whereas in petrol swift you might have to slip the clutch and rev higher to generate enough torque since a petrol swift's higher torque comes on at higher rpm.

However, if both were to go for an all out blistering race up an incline, then I think petrol swift will beat diesel. In petrol swift, you can downshift one or two cogs and then rev all the way to moon ( as someone said ), then petrol swift will go screaming up the incline leaving diesel swift in its wake because in diesels higher revs don't mean much and on the contrary with rise of revs, its torque falls. I didn't witness this race but guys who did this up a hill, here in Vizag, said this. They said petrol swift simply flew up the hill while diesel was huffing and puffing and making more noise than progress. Could this be true? Some of you may try and see.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:47   #53
BHPian

i personally prefer the petrols however if you are with the diesel then get a petes box attached and prob that should wipe away your craving power requirements.
Old 6th May 2008, 07:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I suppose the service costs especially at 20k intervals are higher for diesel than its petrol sibling!
it is about 1.5 K higher. which translates to about 5K for a 3 year period (Assuming you drive 20K km every year).

My calculation -

my comparison...

Cost of diesel(regular, Bangalore price) - 36.4
Average mileage of swift-D (highway+city) - 18
Cost per km - 2.02

Cost per 15K km per year - 30,333.33

Petrol - 52.86
Mileage - 12 (The published FE for petrol is 11-13 kmpl)
Cost per km - 4.4105

Cost per 15K km per year - 66075

Saving per year with Diesel - 35741.67

In addition one would get a resale value of Swift D higher than Swift P by at least 40000 in 3 years

I would not consider the interest cost for 80000 because the price of petrol would increase more than diesel over next 3 years.

Extra initial cost with diesel - 80,000 + 5000 - 40000 (extra servicing cost for 3 years)

Time to break even - 1.26 years or 1 years 3 months.

Diesel swift performance is much better than petrol Swift(As the saying goes you pay for power and drive torque).
Old 11th April 2010, 13:44   #55
BHPian

^^^ i know i am reviving an old thread but need to ask, what does one mean initial cost for diseal kindly explain ??
Old 11th April 2010, 14:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post
^^^ i know i am reviving an old thread but need to ask, what does one mean initial cost for diseal kindly explain ??
The premium the companies charge on diesel cars over petrol, ie the cost of diesel cars are generally around 75k-100k over the same petrol variant.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post
It is something like this. If you are going to buy a Swift Lxi (petrol), then your on-road cost will be 4.7 lakhs whereas a Swift Ldi will be 5.4 lakhs. However, it is not exactly a difference of just 70k. You have to look at these things:

1. What is your down-payment and what is your loan amount, what is your loan term?

2. With this data in hand, calculate what will be your monthly EMI if you go for diesel and what will be the monthly EMI if you go for petrol.
For example, in my case I am considering a down-payment of 1.1 lakhs max. So in case of petrol, my loan amount for 5 yrs is 3.6 lakhs, which means an EMI of 7756 per month. If I go for diesel, the EMI will work out to 9264 per month. This means, I will pay extra around Rs.1500 per month for having a diesel vehicle instead of petrol vehicle.

3. Now, what is the difference per-kilometre between petrol and diesel? You have to divide the price of petrol by the mileage of the petrol vehicle, divide the price of diesel by the mileage of the diesel vehicle, and calculate the difference between both. I think it is around Rs.1.2 per kilometre.

4. Since I am paying extra Rs.1500 per month just for having diesel, I will have to drive at least 1500/1.2 = 1250 kilometers per month, to recover the extra EMI I am paying.

5. However, I will get a higher resale value after 5 years, for my diesel (around 30-40k more than petrol).

Apart from this, it also depends on driving preference i.e whether you like to rev more (petrol) or prefer lots of torque in low end (diesel). The factors I havent mentioned here include slightly higher maintenance for diesel, higher insurance and savings in long drives which are not part of the usual monthly running.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks