Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 08:05   #106
BHPian

Re: Car within 4.5Lakh

I have replied to your response inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Your Honda salesman is taking you for a ride. If you book Brio with him, he gets a bonus from his dealer regardless of whether you end up buying the car or cancelling the booking. The production of Jazz and Brio will be resumed in March. After clearing tonnes of backlog of bookings (my friend has been waiting for his Jazz for last 6 months), you will get your chance.

Never thought that way. Thanks for enlightening me. I came to know later that a friend of mine is also waiting for a Jazz for the past 5 months.

So my advice is that if you have a budget of 4.5 lac and have great patience then forget cheap and compromised 1L 3cyl cars like K10 and Alto. Buy a Honda Brio! It suits you the best and your family will applaud you for buying a Honda.

Really love the Brio, but don't think I'll be able to stand the waiting period :(

If you can't wait long enough then please at least stay away from cheap end cars. Buy better cars like Hyundai i10 (it's not a tall boy car! TD one and you will see that it's a proper car with tall boy looks), Ford Figo (a complete overall package) or Chevy Beat (suits youngsters like you best). All three of them have 1.2L 4cyl engine and have NCAP safety rating of 4 stars. All three of them are a segment higher than cheap-y K10 and A-Star.

Thanks for the advice. Would definitely be considering these too.

Which one is best for you? TD every candidate car! No amount of reading threads on T-BHP is going to help you in deciding your car. Hope this clears up your confusion for once and all.

Edit: Regarding resale value

Regardless of which car you pick, resale value will hardly differ since petrol cars are destined for doom in 2nd hand market in next 4 years.

I just couldn't help laughing at this statement but it's the sad truth
Old 16th February 2012, 20:55   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I have replied to your response inline.
The news is that Honda Brio booking has reopened! Honda Brio

May be your Honda salesman was not taking you for a ride after all. But it still remains to see how long it will take to deliver a Brio to you. Let's see what you decide about your future car.
Old 16th February 2012, 21:25   #108
BHPian

@DevilsCry
I just went to Peninsular Honda yesterday. They confirmed that they will take a maximum of 2 months to deliver the Brio. Booking is 20k. Totally refundable. Probably will go and book it by this month end
Old 20th May 2012, 12:57   #109

Hello everyone!

After years of silence, I am finally waking up again on T-Bhp.

The prime reason of course has been that I have been a biker all through and not much into cars until now. Having covered a good 1.5 lakhs kms on various South Indian highways and also considering a slightly upwardly mobile wallet I have decided to get my first car. I am looking forwards to some advice from senior BHPians/mods like GTO and others based on their experience.

My budget in this case is a max of about 3.5 lakhs on road (+/- 10%) and I need comfort + good mileage. The engine and driveability are more important to me than the looks.

Following are the shortlists :

- Alto 800
- Alto K10
- Chevy Spark
- Tata Nano
- Hyundai Eon
- Chevy Beat

I am not looking beyond any of these really since the service is quite iffy and good, cheap service is critical. My dad currently has a Wagon R LPG for 6 years, so I know what high standards and low costs M A S S is capable of.

My TD experiences :

Alto K10 :
Positives
- Peppy engine
- Light pickup
- Decent looks
- Average AC (enough by my standards)
- Good mileage (based on TBhp reviews
Negatives
- Power delivery plummets with AC on and literally so!
- Rattles and squeaks seem easy to come by (15k run TD vehicle was full of them!)
- Driver leg room cramped

Chevy Spark
Positives
- Silent engine
- Good looks
- Nice music system on LT (I don't require class topping music systems)
- Decent legroom for driver and comfortable seats
Negatives
- Dead 2nd gear - absolutely no pickup!
- Beige interiors - horrible reflections
- Bouncy ride quality

Chevy Beat
Positives
- Fantastic pickup
- Truckloads of space
- Light PS and good AC
Negatives
- Pricey - 40k above budget after discounts
- Low mileage

Hyundai Eon
Positives
- Silent engine
- Good AC
- Easy driveability
- Lot of space
Negatives
- Requires a lot of gear shifts
- Steering too light when PS cuts off
- Marginally higher spares and sevice costs
- No discounts whatsoever

Tata Nano
Positives
- Very easy to ride
- Decent pickup
- Decent AC
- Good mileage
- Very light on pocket in budget terms
- Miles of legroom
Negatives
- Noisy of course
- Plasticky feel
- No glove box or storage spaces whatsoever

help me with your opinions on a good first car under 3.5 lakhs.
Old 20th May 2012, 15:58   #110
BHPian

pho3nix,
I think you should go for the Beat if you can stretch your budget a little. Otherwise the alto K10 is your best bet. Maruti service is the best and you will never have an issue. Maruti's are very reliable too.
Old 20th May 2012, 23:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I think you have answered your own question going by which car gets the most positives? The Nano and the Alto. Considering the noise and the Tata service is okay, you could save on initial cost and petrol bills with the Nano.

The petrol Beat looses out big on driveability (considering the poor low end torque and visibility) and FE. I can't agree with your point 'fantastic pick up' on the Beat. I had several scary moments on the Beat while overtaking, when it hesitates to catapult in case of emergency.

Is the i10 IRDE 1.1 out of reach, considering your budget? Though a very good car on the driveability, engine and mileage front, I am not sure on its market and resale value.
Old 21st May 2012, 09:35   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Having covered a good 1.5 lakhs kms on various South Indian highways and also considering a slightly upwardly mobile wallet I have decided to get my first car.

My budget in this case is a max of about 3.5 lakhs on road (+/- 10%) and I need comfort + good mileage. The engine and driveability are more important to me than the looks.

I am not looking beyond any of these really since the service is quite iffy and good, cheap service is critical. My dad currently has a Wagon R LPG for 6 years, so I know what high standards and low costs M A S S is capable of.

Hi Pho3nix,
What kind of driving are you looking to do ? Will you use it for city purposes only, or also use it on Highways etc.?

You mentioned this will be your first car. IMO for a first car, it may be useful to have things predictable. Regards maintenance and reliability, a Maruti will most likely give you the least to worry about. You also have a WagonR in your family, which may help, too.

The alto K10 may be the best fit for you.

Not sure about the drivability of the K10 though - haven't driven or TDed it. Do you currently drive (frequently/ocassionally) your Dad's WagonR?
Old 21st May 2012, 10:52   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

If space constraint in the Alto K10 is not an issue for you, then go ahead with it. It is economical, easy to drive, cheap to maintain and decently peppy.

The main advantage is that it is a Maruti(you already know about the service friendliness of Maruti).

The only thing that has bothered me about it is the cramped interiors(I am 6ft tall).

If you want slightly more spacious and spruced up interiors and are ready to spend 50k more, I would seriously recommend the i10 iRDE. You can look at the D-Lite+ model. Also if you plan to do significant highway runs, then i10 should be more comfortable for you.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:03   #114
BHPian

Pho3nix, if you are open to buying a used car, you would have much more choices including more fun to drive and safer cars.

Quote:
Hello everyone!

After years of silence, I am finally waking up again on T-Bhp.

The prime reason of course has been that I have been a biker all through and not much into cars until now. Having covered a good 1.5 lakhs kms on various South Indian highways and also considering a slightly upwardly mobile wallet I have decided to get my first car. I am looking forwards to some advice from senior BHPians/mods like GTO and others based on their experience.

Old 21st May 2012, 12:41   #115
BHPian

Hi Pho3nix,

If you are open for used ones, you might get a good deal in the budget you quoted which will cover all your requirements! But yea, make sure that you do thorough homework and inspection before coming to the conclusion.

But if you do not want to get into to all the hassles of scanning the used car market / inspection, I think Alto K10 would be your best bet. It will be easy to drive and considering MASS, it will also be light on your wallet.

Best,
r-six
Old 21st May 2012, 12:55   #116
BHPian

Quote:
The engine and driveability are more important to me than the looks.
Following are the shortlists :
- Alto 800
- Alto K10
- Chevy Spark
- Tata Nano
- Hyundai Eon
- Chevy Beat
if engine and driveability are most important to you, then only option you have among the listed is Alto K10.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:50   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
if engine and driveability are most important to you, then only option you have among the listed is Alto K10.
infotech58 - Yes I agree.. The only downside is the cramped space :( I am 5'7" and my legs are long... Hence I found the K10 cramped compared to any of the others mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hi Pho3nix,

If you are open for used ones, you might get a good deal in the budget you quoted which will cover all your requirements! But yea, make sure that you do thorough homework and inspection before coming to the conclusion.

But if you do not want to get into to all the hassles of scanning the used car market / inspection, I think Alto K10 would be your best bet. It will be easy to drive and considering MASS, it will also be light on your wallet.

Best,
r-six
R-six - I am also considering second hands but only through Maruti True Value/Hyundai Advantage/Mahindra Firstchoice... I know they are a shade more expensive, but at least I am sure they will ensure the engine is good and also come with a year's warranty which keeps one's mind at ease to begin with. There are a few WagonR LPG and Estilo models within my budget (mainly 2.25-2.95 lakhs)

I think K10 would be the only car I can afford if its new and within the mentioned budget (thanks to the discounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
Pho3nix, if you are open to buying a used car, you would have much more choices including more fun to drive and safer cars.
Altius - Yes I am open to "certified" used cars. Not from the local dealers. Only those with some kind of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If space constraint in the Alto K10 is not an issue for you, then go ahead with it. It is economical, easy to drive, cheap to maintain and decently peppy.

The main advantage is that it is a Maruti(you already know about the service friendliness of Maruti).

The only thing that has bothered me about it is the cramped interiors(I am 6ft tall).

If you want slightly more spacious and spruced up interiors and are ready to spend 50k more, I would seriously recommend the i10 iRDE. You can look at the D-Lite+ model. Also if you plan to do significant highway runs, then i10 should be more comfortable for you.
I do not plan to do significant highway runs... More like 70% city... I wish i10 was in my range, but a new one here on road is close to 4.7 lakhs.

Yes, K10 is cramped in terms of leg room for me... Seats are ok, but just about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Hi Pho3nix,
What kind of driving are you looking to do ? Will you use it for city purposes only, or also use it on Highways etc.?

You mentioned this will be your first car. IMO for a first car, it may be useful to have things predictable. Regards maintenance and reliability, a Maruti will most likely give you the least to worry about. You also have a WagonR in your family, which may help, too.

The alto K10 may be the best fit for you.

Not sure about the drivability of the K10 though - haven't driven or TDed it. Do you currently drive (frequently/ocassionally) your Dad's WagonR?
K10 driveability is lovely... Spunky little car it is... As for the Wagon R - currently I have used it probably about 20 times and I like it overall, so I wouldn't mind getting a second hand Wagon R from TrueValue/Firstchoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I think you have answered your own question going by which car gets the most positives? The Nano and the Alto. Considering the noise and the Tata service is okay, you could save on initial cost and petrol bills with the Nano.

The petrol Beat looses out big on driveability (considering the poor low end torque and visibility) and FE. I can't agree with your point 'fantastic pick up' on the Beat. I had several scary moments on the Beat while overtaking, when it hesitates to catapult in case of emergency.

Is the i10 IRDE 1.1 out of reach, considering your budget? Though a very good car on the driveability, engine and mileage front, I am not sure on its market and resale value.
Unfortunately, i10 is out of reach here... I liked the Nano... but my only worry is that, when I do the only highway runs, it would stress the engine cruising at 80... And I am looking ahead to runs where I would do like 500 km+ in 6-8 hours, so reliability is a factor... Any ideas on the Nano lasting on such a ride? I took a TD on the Beat and punched it about a bit... It seemed to have ok pickup... Maybe the ECU was remapped... Did you check the ECU version on your Beat? I heard the lack of pickup had something to do with that...

Everyone,

I must say a big thank you to all of you and assure you that I will keep pestering you endlessly till I make my final decision

Please give me your inputs on a good second hand car (preferably LPG/diesel) within my budget too so that I can scour a bit. I have about 10 days more before I take the final leap and get something...

Just to put up my requirements/constraints again :

- 5'7" with long legs and nice barrel shaped body
- Usage 70-75% city and rest highway - approx run about 1500 kms per month
- Preferably LPG/Diesel
- Good and regular mileage figures with low spares/maintenance cost is a must.

I know this is a tall order, but I know in my heart that soon I will find the right match.

Current list of possible reduced to the following :

- Wagon R / Estilo - Essentially the same engine and interior but slightly diff driveability
- Alto 800/K10 - Everything fine except cramped leg space
- Tata Nano - I loved it and wouldn't mind owning one, but just concerned about engine stress (please shed light)
- Hyundai Santro/i10 (second hand only)
- Indica diesel / swift diesel / swift petrol / ritz petrol - If 2nd hands fall within that budget which currently is not the case.

I know thats still a lot of options, but I have eliminated the eOn and the Indica petrol owing to no proper update on reliability and higher maintenance costs. Beat also seems to be out because of varying and low mileage and unavailability of 2nd hands as yet.

Do continue with your valuable advice as I am all ears...
Old 21st May 2012, 16:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, i10 is out of reach here... I liked the Nano... but my only worry is that, when I do the only highway runs, it would stress the engine cruising at 80... And I am looking ahead to runs where I would do like 500 km+ in 6-8 hours, so reliability is a factor... Any ideas on the Nano lasting on such a ride?
The Nano is fine till 80. It can stretch to 90 max on highways, so that would not be a worry for you. The problem may also not be the engine for 6-8 hours. The problem would be the stress on you after traveling in a Nano for that long. I am not sure that would be very comfortable. Thats coming from a Nano owner.
but then I dont know how an Alto would fare either on that stretch given your height issues.

If I ignore that 6-8 hour drive thingy, I think the Nano is the car for you.

Quote:
Please give me your inputs on a good second hand car (preferably LPG/diesel) within my budget too so that I can scour a bit. I have about 10 days more before I take the final leap and get something...
Inputs? If you are looking for a used diesel car, there are a few on our very own classifieds here on offer around Bangalore and within your budget. The usual Palios and an Indica are there, but I was surprised to see a Hyundai Accent too. Other websites may have more options and you may also get to look at a good used Ford ikon.

the problem with any used car is that it is more of a subjective decision that can be done only after you have inspected the car and its paperwork/ insurance claim history. There will be added expense for a used car such as tyres and other spares.

keep us updated, I am sure we will take turns at confusing you further!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 17:35   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The Nano is fine till 80. It can stretch to 90 max on highways, so that would not be a worry for you. The problem may also not be the engine for 6-8 hours. The problem would be the stress on you after traveling in a Nano for that long. I am not sure that would be very comfortable. Thats coming from a Nano owner.
but then I dont know how an Alto would fare either on that stretch given your height issues.

If I ignore that 6-8 hour drive thingy, I think the Nano is the car for you.

Inputs? If you are looking for a used diesel car, there are a few on our very own classifieds here on offer around Bangalore and within your budget. The usual Palios and an Indica are there, but I was surprised to see a Hyundai Accent too. Other websites may have more options and you may also get to look at a good used Ford ikon.

the problem with any used car is that it is more of a subjective decision that can be done only after you have inspected the car and its paperwork/ insurance claim history. There will be added expense for a used car such as tyres and other spares.
I think if it weren't for the cramped space in the K10, it would be just perfect... And I love that copper color too

Quote:
keep us updated, I am sure we will take turns at confusing you further!
Ah ha! I knew it! Now the cat's out of the bag!

Quote:
Thats coming from a Nano owner.
Ummmm... Are you the owner? In which case, your experiences with the Nano in terms of mileage, service etc would be much appreciated. I was considering the Nano LX (since its got all the conveniences except the stereo which I will have to put in myself).
Old 21st May 2012, 17:48   #120
BHPian

Quote:
... I liked the Nano... but my only worry is that, when I do the only highway runs, it would stress the engine cruising at 80... And I am looking ahead to runs where I would do like 500 km+ in 6-8 hours, so reliability is a factor... Any ideas on the Nano lasting on such a ride?...
Hey Pho3nix,

Regarding Nano's reliability factor.. check this thread and you might find the answer. YetiBlog® - The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!

Best,
R-Six

Most Viewed