Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 20:46   #46
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car within 4.5Lakh

All the cars on your list are actually very good cars with low maintenance and good on features and FE.

However,

If you like a car that has great handling, check out Figo.

If you like a very easy car to drive around a city, I10 maybe the choice.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but one of my friend is in same dillemma.

Budget - 4-4.5 Lakhs
Required Features - Power Window, Power Steering, AC. Good in mileage and low on maintenance.
Drive - 500 KM per month approx. So has to be a petrol car.

Choices - Hyundai I10 Megna, New Wagon R, Ford Figo, Ritz.

Please confuse me more by adding models and which one would you pick?
I too was in the same situation 6 months back and due to some more conditions that I had like safety and width, i chose the Wagon-R VXI with ABS+Airbag. I think i10 should be ideal for you since the Magna comes with the features that your friend wants. I not so sure about the FE, so please do go through the other i10 threads or FE threads in T-Bhp. Ritz would also be extremely but do check the price, as I think the VXI comes close to 5 lacs. But if you want ABS or even Airbags in your car within 4.5 lacs, the only option would be the Wagon-R. And I have heard some of my friends complaining about the Petrol Figo's FE.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

I too am looking for a new hatch for my parents. My father currently drives a ~6-year old Wagon-R. I don't want to start a new thread on this because until now, my father is not convinced that he needs a new car

The requirements as I see it are:
1. Seating position: Being used to Wagon-R, I think my father likes a high seating position
2. Safety features - ABS is a must, airbags too would be great (purely my wishlist, but I can convince my father on the safety front)
3. Space - Need good space at the front, rear space not a big factor. Decent bootspace required (comparable to "old" Wagon-R). Split-folding rear seats would be great.
4. Good AC
5. A.S.S availability - my parents don't live in a big city and are nearly 40km away from Cochin.
6. Petrol/diesel - not a big factor. The running is typically less than 10K km per year. Although my father showed some inclination towards a new diesel car recently (not surprising)

Now the list above naturally points to a new Wagon-R, but I read comments that the new Wagon-R is a bit sluggish and NVH levels are higher due to the 3-pot engine.

I guess the i10 would also qualify, but lower FE+higher price+some stories about steering rattles make me slightly worried about recommending it to my father.

Surprisingly, Nissan has a sales/service centre in my hometown, so the Micra is an option. That would be the petrol version because Nissan thinks diesel car owners dont need safety features.

The Ritz also seems to be a viable option to me (Vxi/VDi/Zxi).

Last but not the least, a pre-owned Jazz also looks like a good option to me (not sure if it will satisfy point 1). A.S.S availablity is an issue with Jazz, but I hope being a Honda, it will require only regular service - so 1 40km trip in 6 months is OK.

Why I haven't considered some other hatches:
---------------------------------------------
1. M800/Alto: No safety features
2. A-Star: Looks too small to me. Not sure if it will be comfortable enough for my parents who are both 60+
3. Swift: Model change soon, seating position
4. Estilo: Don't know why I should buy this car - probably I'm better off with Wagon-R or Ritz from the same stable.
5. Spark: Same as M800/Alto
6. Beat: I don't know much about this car. Never checked it out. Please let me know if it can make the list. May not meet requirement 5.
7. Figo: Never checked it out. Probably a candidate. Not sure if it satisfies requirements 1 and 5.
8. Polo: Out-of-budget. A.S.S availability is a concern - Polos on the forum have not exactly been niggle-free so far.
9. Punto: Seating position, A.S.S availability. Also, the 1.2 petrol engine is not the best around. The other variants are probably out-of-budget.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:57   #49
BHPian

Hi Starrysky

10k km its a sure diesel, (today its 10k..tomorrow you'll be crossing 12 to 13k for sure)

I dont think swift has an seating position issue at all. I'm 6feet tall and i enjoy driving the swift. Figo is a little lower but again a little seat push behind by about 3inches does the trick, its not too bad. Riitz i've tested too, it has a too big or long dash under the windshield area like the honda cars, thus ritz causes a little issue when ur driving with bumper to bumper traffic in the city, otherwise the ritz is fine too.

I think you gotta wait and pick up Swift VdI 2011 or Figo Top end model with all safety features
Old 12th June 2011, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I too am looking for a new hatch for my parents. My father currently drives a ~6-year old Wagon-R. I don't want to start a new thread on this because until now, my father is not convinced that he needs a new car

1. Seating position: Being used to Wagon-R, I think my father likes a high seating position
2. Safety features - ABS is a must, airbags too would be great (purely my wishlist, but I can convince my father on the safety front)
3. Space - Need good space at the front, rear space not a big factor. Decent bootspace required (comparable to "old" Wagon-R). Split-folding rear seats would be great.
4. Good AC
5. A.S.S availability - my parents don't live in a big city and are nearly 40km away from Cochin.
6. Petrol/diesel - not a big factor. The running is typically less than 10K km per year. Although my father showed some inclination towards a new diesel car recently (not surprising)

Now the list above naturally points to a new Wagon-R, but I read comments that the new Wagon-R is a bit sluggish and NVH levels are higher due to the 3-pot engine.

I guess the i10 would also qualify, but lower FE+higher price+some stories about steering rattles make me slightly worried about recommending it to my father.

Surprisingly, Nissan has a sales/service centre in my hometown, so the Micra is an option. That would be the petrol version because Nissan thinks diesel car owners dont need safety features.

The Ritz also seems to be a viable option to me (Vxi/VDi/Zxi).

Last but not the least, a pre-owned Jazz also looks like a good option to me (not sure if it will satisfy point 1). A.S.S availablity is an issue with Jazz, but I hope being a Honda, it will require only regular service - so 1 40km trip in 6 months is OK.

Why I haven't considered some other hatches:
---------------------------------------------
1. M800/Alto: No safety features
2. A-Star: Looks too small to me. Not sure if it will be comfortable enough for my parents who are both 60+
3. Swift: Model change soon, seating position
4. Estilo: Don't know why I should buy this car - probably I'm better off with Wagon-R or Ritz from the same stable.
5. Spark: Same as M800/Alto
6. Beat: I don't know much about this car. Never checked it out. Please let me know if it can make the list. May not meet requirement 5.
7. Figo: Never checked it out. Probably a candidate. Not sure if it satisfies requirements 1 and 5.
8. Polo: Out-of-budget. A.S.S availability is a concern - Polos on the forum have not exactly been niggle-free so far.
9. Punto: Seating position, A.S.S availability. Also, the 1.2 petrol engine is not the best around. The other variants are probably out-of-budget.
You could consider the new Indica Xeta or Even the Vista Tdi (if you stay in a BS3 zone). However the ABS would be missing.

For a high seating position, safety, etc you could also consider the i10 (if you can live with the steering rattle issue).
Beat will be way to compact (rear seat).
In case he is looking at the Diesel option based on fuel cost only, you could also look at the WagonR Duo (pet+CNG).
It is not underpowered for sedate drivers, it is underpowered though for spirited driving.
Old 14th June 2011, 14:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

4. Good AC
Tall-Boy Ritz (VXI + ABS) will fit your bill. In my opinion, it is perfect for your requirements.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:17   #52
BHPian

Dear All,

Please help me.

I am also in a quandary to choose a car. My requirements are;

1. My travel would be mostly 600 to 1000 kms in Highway per month (Coimbatore to Hosur / Chennai every month)
2. City travel would be around 300 to 400 kms per month (weekend), as i prefer to commute to office by bike
3. High on mileage and low on maintenance
4. Am 6' feet tall, so need a better seating position
5. Not so worried about rear seats, as that may be occupied occasionally by my parents or in-law
6. Worried about the current petrol price trend. However, not very sure whether diesel prices will be subsidized forever or deregulated
7. Options in mind
a. Spark LPG
b. Beat LPG (scores high over spark only because of looks, else a strict No)
C. Beat Diesel

My budget is 4.5lacs, but can stretch a bit for a better car.

I am eagerly waiting for your suggestions, as many manufacturers are offering discounts / offers due to poor sales . Am ok for other cars too, provided they suit my budget.

P.S: Hope, this time I'd posted in a correct thread.
Thanks,
Old 21st June 2011, 14:38   #53
BHPian

@Starry sky- Beat will ofcourse meet all your requirement..Where exactly do you live near cochin?

Beat is a compact car which has a good interior, descent mileage and good handling.. The only thing which it lacks is the boot space.You'll also love the ambience inside the car especially during the night.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
I am also in a quandary to choose a car. My requirements are;

7. Options in mind
a. Spark LPG
b. Beat LPG (scores high over spark only because of looks, else a strict No)
C. Beat Diesel

My budget is 4.5lacs, but can stretch a bit for a better car.
Considering your requirements and more importantly your height, I would recommend that you look at the tall boys Wagon R and Ritz. The Ritz is quite a nice car if you can ignore the rear. The Wagon R does its job quite effectively.

Of the options you mentioned, a Beat diesel may be better for you. Have you considered the Figo or the Punto?

What about the used car market? You could get a higher segment car for your budget.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 15:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Considering your requirements and more importantly your height, I would recommend that you look at the tall boys Wagon R and Ritz. The Ritz is quite a nice car if you can ignore the rear. The Wagon R does its job quite effectively.

Of the options you mentioned, a Beat diesel may be better for you. Have you considered the Figo or the Punto?

What about the used car market? You could get a higher segment car for your budget.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply..

A strict no-no from my wife for used car. Initially, i considered wagon R duo, but i feel it as bit sluggish and ritz doesnt have lpg option and diesel is beyond my budget.

I am glad to go for a petrol car, but worried about constant petrol hikes, that is why looking for lpg / beat diesel options. Is it worth going for a diesel or lpg option considering my 10000 - 12000 kms usage / annum, as i need to invest more by about 1lakhs and interest cost for the same etc.,???
Old 21st June 2011, 17:27   #56
BHPian

HI,

I couldn't edit my previous post, hence a new post.

Why I have shortlisted diesel version in BEAT alone is only because of its expected price, as it is expected to be at par with Indica prices. So, i request your suggestions to decide on my car. BTW, Is Chevvy LPG cars are worth to go for, as they claim a advanced LPG tech.. called sequential injection.

for the confusion in my earlier post.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
A strict no-no from my wife for used car. Initially, i considered wagon R duo, but i feel it as bit sluggish and ritz doesnt have lpg option and diesel is beyond my budget.
Again, please try to understand the reasons why a used car is rejected by your wife. These days you may as well get problems in a new car that you may get in a pre owned one. IMHO, your PDI assessment will matter the most. And of course, with a used car you can ask an experienced friend or garage person to do an independent assessment for you.

My wife was initially skeptical about the used car bit as much as I was. However, going by the experience of used car purchases here (try and find GTO's thread on this), we went for it. Of course you have to budget a little money for any eventualities. At the end of the day I am glad to have bought a Jazz in the budget of a Ritz.

For the Wagon R, do you find the new one sluggish or the old?

edit: here is the thread I mentioned http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nda-civic.html

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st June 2011 at 17:39.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Again, please try to understand the reasons why a used car is rejected by your wife. These days you may as well get problems in a new car that you may get in a pre owned one. IMHO, your PDI assessment will matter the most. And of course, with a used car you can ask an experienced friend or garage person to do an independent assessment for you.

My wife was initially skeptical about the used car bit as much as I was. However, going by the experience of used car purchases here (try and find GTO's thread on this), we went for it. Of course you have to budget a little money for any eventualities. At the end of the day I am glad to have bought a Jazz in the budget of a Ritz.

For the Wagon R, do you find the new one sluggish or the old?
Old Wagon R. BTW, why she is not inclined with used car is, for our budget, if it is used, then it should be a diesel car and all those diesel cars in the market are at least 30K+ kms driven, and her colleagues had advised her to not go for a diesel car, which has run over that many kms.

What would be your suggestion, if its a used car for our budget?
Old 21st June 2011, 22:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

30K kms is not a lot by any standards.. Mileage sure is important, but you need get a buddy mechanic's opinion on other aspects.

Any Swift/Ritz diesel available in Maruti Truevalue out there?
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:49   #60
BHPian

In your budget you can also get a Diesel (Vista Terra QDJ i suppose).

Please ask her to steer clear of 'informed' friends who say a diesel with 30K kms on the odo are bad. Diesels by their very nature are longer lasting than petrols and most crude diesels also last 1 lac+ easily. The new gen diesels are even better.

For petrols, She may consider the Spark or Beat from the Chevy Stable,
Or if she wants a frugal easy to drive car - AStar AT. Resale though is bad but this is a good city car.

The car which I have (Vista Aura SaFIRE65) was originally for my sister. I have covered 20K. My FE is a good 15 for my drive everyday and my maintenance cost is zero.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks