Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 22:57   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Just want to mention that in city, driving a petrol will be much easier when compared to diesels.

P.S. I am comparing here only indica diesels & petrols. What i say may be incorrect if we are taking about diesel engines 2.0l & above.
Sorry for the off topic discussion. I disagree with the first comment here. Modern day diesels (read: the MJD engine) is an absolute dream to drive within the city and does much better that its petrol counterpart. And this is due to the fact the torque is delivered at lower RPMs.
However, it is not the case with non-CRDi engines.

And luv,
1.2 will be sufficient in that case, just that will have to downshift to get that power.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:00   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
will the power/torque of a 1.2L be adequate, as compared to the 1.4L?
Aww....

That would be a niggle. Forget such issues. So many variables are involved here. Boils down to driving technique.

Since you appear to have almost finalised the Indica, remember to put your foot down while selecting the colours. THe dealer may frighten you off with "delivery delays" if you choose some exotic colour. Just put your foot and a good advance (50K??) down and insist on that particular colour.
Even carb M800s drive and overtake on roads.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 16th March 2008 at 23:05.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

yaar, here is something for jascha to chew on:
The 1.2L engine was introduced end 06 to take advantage of the excise cuts available (which partly explains the 40k premium).
The 1.4 Xeta pumps an awesome 12.6 Kgm @ 2600rpm, which makes it truly effortless for city/CNG driving compared to a Santro/Xeta 1.2 (10.2 kgm). NOM, but Santro put in 3rd gear at 20 struggles. Xeta puts the smile back on your face. That being said, we've had a trouble free some 6-8k of late. Touch wood

Please choose odyssey blue. its rare (we waited 2 months courtesy liars at A1 auto).

Please be ready to shout "Its PETROL" for the first 1-2 months at every attendant

and yes, petrol cars will take most alternative fuels (CNG, LPG, E10) save biodiesel.

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th March 2008 at 23:20.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:22   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Boils down to driving technique. Even carb M800s drive and overtake on roads
You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Since you appear to have almost finalised the Indica, remember to put your foot down while selecting the colours. THe dealer may frighten you off with "delivery delays" if you choose some exotic colour. Just put your foot and a good advance (50K??) down and insist on that particular colour.
Will do. No exotic colors for me though. I'm goin' with Arctic Silver.
@phamilyman : I kinda like the Odyssey Blue too. It's got a unique and classy look about it. Studies have shown that dark colors are more accident prone.

Last edited by luvjascha : 16th March 2008 at 23:27.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Odyssey blue? is it that dark one? or the greyish shade? Personally i LOVE that new deep blue they have!
Old 16th March 2008, 23:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I recall reading here that someone got rear PW fitted by the tata dealer for an extra 13.5k
Sorry this is not thread hijacking. After I am seriously considering Indigo CS. Greenhorn, can you kindly recall who did it? Or, where is that thread? Any hint? Indigo CS does not come with a PW option. I would like to get one.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:45   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Odyssey blue? is it that dark one? or the greyish shade? Personally i LOVE that new deep blue they have!
Yep. It's that rich-looking, deep blue color.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Just want to mention that in city, driving a petrol will be much easier when compared to diesels.

On highways it doesnt make much difference between diesel & petrol. The only exception is that petrol has quick pick up needed when over taking trucks in short gaps. Diesels do better in ghat sections.

Since you will be driving yourselfs it will be a point to consider.

P.S. I am comparing here only indica diesels & petrols. What i say may be incorrect if we are taking about diesel engines 2.0l & above.
I would say that is absolutely incorrect. diesels produce lots of torque at very low revs. I've got my indica moving from second , and in some cases , third on level ground, from a standing start. The high torque is a boon in stop and go traffic.

the dicor has the turbo kicking in even earlier. should make it even better in the city.

PS : about the calculation with the diesel recovering costs, you forgot one thing- inflation! while petrol prices will continue to rise, and diesel, not that much
Old 18th March 2008, 15:36   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And this is due to the fact the torque is delivered at lower RPMs.
However, it is not the case with non-CRDi engines.
Better driveability is not restricted to common-rail diesels at all! Consider the old school Octavia TDi, Palio 1.9, Scorpio 2.6.....the list goes on. Superior torque delivery at low rpms has always been a diesel forte.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:42   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Better driveability is not restricted to common-rail diesels at all! Consider the old school Octavia TDi, Palio 1.9, Scorpio 2.6.....the list goes on. Superior torque delivery at low rpms has always been a diesel forte.
Oh ok. What I actually meant was the Indica which had pathetic drivability.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Luv... Agreed you are single, and do only city driving, but are you going to get married within 5 years, trust me, since this is your 1st car, you will get intoxicated by driving, (if I read right, u dont have a bike too??) So even more reason to do it right the first time.Ask anyone who;s got a car for more than 2-3 years, all purchases start with "only home-office, only 500Km a month," you will end up with doing more than 1-2K after falling for it. Sorry for trying to confuse you, but am giving Gyan after being stuck with a small Alto, great car for 1 person, but currently badly need more space!!
Old 27th June 2010, 21:53   #72
BHPian

Diesel vs Petrol - Does diesel make more sense now?

I'm going to revive this long-dead thread, because I faced a similar decision recently and didn't get any really good answers for this question. So, I had to decide on my own. I thought it would be helpful for any future buyers to have this info while making a decision.

The almost universal reply I got to this question was - "If your running is less than 3K a month, go for petrol. Diesel is only for high-mileage users." Unconvinced, I decided to break this down systematically. Our daily running is less than 40 km counting office trip only. Monthly running would be around 1000km for that alone.

I had decided on the Indigo CS diesel or petrol models, as a sedan was preferred and the CS was the cheapest. The TDi diesel model was 5.25 OTR and eCS petrol was 4.68 OTR. For this model, I'd assumed that the FE would be 17 for diesel (I'm getting that much now) and 14 for petrol. Which would mean that with my running, I would need 1000/17 = 58.9L of diesel, or 1000/14 = 71.4L of petrol. Annually, I would need 706.8L of diesel or 856.8L of petrol.

At fuel costs per litre of Rs. 42 for diesel and Rs. 54 for petrol, the annual costs would be Rs. 46267 for petrol and Rs. 29685 for diesel. So the diesel model would save me Rs. 16582 a year in fuel costs.

Of course, the petrol model would mean a lower EMI. Assuming that I'm taking a loan of 70% of on-road price for either model, at 9.5% interest rate, EMI is Rs. 2150 per lakh 9 (5 years). I would be paying EMIs of Rs. 6880 for the petrol model vs. Rs. 7718 for the diesel. Annual payment: Rs. 82560 for petrol, and Rs. 92616 for diesel. Difference: 10056 more for diesel.

Thus the net savings for diesel would be 16582-10056 = Rs. 6526 per year.

Over a period of 5 years, fuel costs savings would be at least Rs. 82910 more for diesel while EMI difference would be Rs. 50280 more, which means a net savings of Rs. 32630. Actually, savings would be more because price is bound to increase. Even if fuel prices equalize over time for diesel and petrol, diesel will still be cheaper to run, being more frugal.

So, although the EMI is more for diesel, in my case it is less than the savings due to lower fuel cost and higher FE. Thus, I had no qualms in going for a diesel Indigo CS. Note that I haven't included service costs, but as some research in the threads will prove, modern diesels no longer require shorter service intervals or regular expensive maintenance.

Overall, I'd say that the answer depends on the chosen model of the car and its price and FE. In any case, work out the expenses for yourself instead of going by forum advice alone. I hope this has been helpful.
Old 27th June 2010, 22:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

@vivekgk
I want to add another angle which adds to the argument of going for diesel.
Diesel Indigo is likely to yield better resale value then petrol Indigo.
Old 27th June 2010, 22:41   #74
BHPian

My comments in bold.
just my thoughts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm going to revive this long-dead thread, because I faced a similar decision recently and didn't get any really good answers for this question. So, I had to decide on my own. I thought it would be helpful for any future buyers to have this info while making a decision.

The almost universal reply I got to this question was - "If your running is less than 3K a month, go for petrol. Diesel is only for high-mileage users." Unconvinced, I decided to break this down systematically. Our daily running is less than 40 km counting office trip only. Monthly running would be around 1000km for that alone.
As pointed out by experts and more experienced members in this forum, driving preference may vary from individual to individual, some finds driving pleasure in diesel cars and some in petrol, so its relative

I had decided on the Indigo CS diesel or petrol models, as a sedan was preferred and the CS was the cheapest. The TDi diesel model was 5.25 OTR and eCS petrol was 4.68 OTR. For this model, I'd assumed that the FE would be 17 for diesel (I'm getting that much now) and 14 for petrol. Which would mean that with my running, I would need 1000/17 = 58.9L of diesel, or 1000/14 = 71.4L of petrol. Annually, I would need 706.8L of diesel or 856.8L of petrol.

At fuel costs per litre of Rs. 42 for diesel and Rs. 54 for petrol, the annual costs would be Rs. 46267 for petrol and Rs. 29685 for diesel. So the diesel model would save me Rs. 16582 a year in fuel costs.
If fuel price is deregulated, difference between diesel and petrol prices would eventually reduce over period of time. Diesel vehicles would command more resale value, if at all this is a criteria

Of course, the petrol model would mean a lower EMI. Assuming that I'm taking a loan of 70% of on-road price for either model, at 9.5% interest rate, EMI is Rs. 2150 per lakh 9 (5 years).

EMI of 2150/- per lakh comes out to be around 11% on advance EMI basis, which is on the higher side compared to the available loan rates at present. SBI 8-10-10%, HDFC 9.75-10.25% approx.

Over a period of 5 years, fuel costs savings would be at least Rs. 82910 more for diesel while EMI difference would be Rs. 50280 more, which means a net savings of Rs. 32630. Actually, savings would be more because price is bound to increase. Even if fuel prices equalize over time for diesel and petrol, diesel will still be cheaper to run, being more frugal.

So, although the EMI is more for diesel, in my case it is less than the savings due to lower fuel cost and higher FE. Thus, I had no qualms in going for a diesel Indigo CS. Note that I haven't included service costs, but as some research in the threads will prove, modern diesels no longer require shorter service intervals or regular expensive maintenance.

Overall, I'd say that the answer depends on the chosen model of the car and its price and FE. In any case, work out the expenses for yourself instead of going by forum advice alone. I hope this has been helpful.
A sedan is a sedan and hatchback is hatchback at the end-of-day. Everything cannot be calculated in terms of savings, Indigo is a lot more spacious compared to most of the hatchbacks (if not all!), so you gain in this parameter!

And finally a car is something not many Indians buy every year, so one needs to listen to the heart as well as mind, finally whichever is the winner in one`s case, should go by that, everything in life cannot be defined by logic and calculations

Last edited by AvonA7 : 27th June 2010 at 22:51.
Old 27th June 2010, 23:17   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

Of course, the petrol model would mean a lower EMI. Assuming that I'm taking a loan of 70% of on-road price for either model, at 9.5% interest rate, EMI is Rs. 2150 per lakh 9 (5 years). I would be paying EMIs of Rs. 6880 for the petrol model vs. Rs. 7718 for the diesel. Annual payment: Rs. 82560 for petrol, and Rs. 92616 for diesel. Difference: 10056 more for diesel.

Well vivekgk , couldn't we also calculate it like this??..

Net Price difference between petrol and diesel models = 5.25 - 4.68 = .57 lac.

Net Savings on fuel per annum = 16582 (as per your calculation)

So to cover the .57 lac you spent at the first year you will have to use your car atleast for 3.5 years(approx)
Also if you had invested that extra .57lac wisely and assuming a return of 10% per annum, after three years you save .057*3 = .17 and thats another year of fuel savings.

So any real savings would occur only after 4.5 years of buying the car. By that time, the diesel will start to weigh high on maintenance, so less savings.

But then if you use your car more frequently, say double or triple your usage, you can start saving from the 2nd year itself. I guess this is why every one suggests that "Diesel is only for high-mileage users" .

P.S - Here I have omitted the difference in resale and maintenance of petrol/diesel cars.
IMO, a petrol is more fun to drive and better on NVH. Please note that I have also omitted this factor. Actually you will be living with a less fun to drive car for 4.5 years, till the savings appear on a balance sheet.
And yes, please free to correct me if I'm wrong as this is just a rough calculation.

Is Diesel Worth it??..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed