Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2008, 21:27   #1
BANNED

Diesel or Petrol?

Hi all,

I am going to try to be as precise as possible. I have a couple questions-
1. Is a diesel or a petrol vehicle recommended?
2. Depending on whether diesel or petrol, what amongst the vehicles I have in mind, would be my best choice?

Here goes-
The first part of my query--- I realize fully well that a diesel is only recommended, when monthly running is, or higher than a 1000 kms. However, my work does not need me to utilize the vehicle on a daily basis, because of which, it is hard to ascertain what my monthly running would in fact be; but I think I can, to a certain degree of confidence, say that it would be nowhere near a 1000 kms! Perhaps, 500-600 kms./month.
Conventionally, diesels have always been high on maintenance, and if not run everyday, could pose issues. My question though, can one expect the same behavior with the new technology diesels in the market today, such as the DiCOR (or CRDi), TDi, etc? If the answer is no, would it then be safe to assume that even with low monthly running, any of the above mentioned diesels could be considered?
I reside in Mumbai, and with the traffic here, I prefer to take out the vehicle only when absolutely required. Otherwise, highway driving (leisure trips) for the most part.

Now, for the second and last part of my query---
My budget is 5L OTR, and my priorities are,
a. FE
b. VFM
c. Comfort
d. Overall build and stability
I have the following vehicles in mind (Diesel and Petrol)-
Diesels:
TATA IndigoCS LS (TDi)
TATA Indica DiCOR

Petrols:
TATA Indica XETA GLG
TATA Indica XETA GLX
TATA IndigoCS GLS

All things considered, I am not looking at any other vehicle, other than TATAs.
Again, if it were a diesel that you guys recommend, I might wait for the new V3 with the MJD engine, albeit the new headlamps and the instrument cluster now placed in the middle of the dashboard, seem kinda tacky.

So fella's, please help me resolve this. I am utterly confused.
Old 15th March 2008, 21:42   #2
BANNED

Any reason you will not consider Indica Turbo? Or the just launched Fiat MJD 1.3?? (Ok - it is from the same dealer).

Right now, we can safely assume that diesels give more KM per liter than most petrol - for same vehicle / variant. Eg - Indica turbo gives 23KMPL, xeta gives 12-14.

In past couple of months, I have seen people with less than 1K km quarterly running usign indica diesels. The choice between petrol and diesel is boiling down to something like "which car looks better" kinda question.
Old 15th March 2008, 21:52   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Any reason you will not consider Indica Turbo? Or the just launched Fiat MJD 1.3?? (Ok - it is from the same dealer)
Indica Turbo is a fine vehicle. But I think that the new DiCOR engine is more refined, and in fact, offers a better FE than the Turbo.
I also read something about turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have seen people with less than 1K km quarterly running usign indica diesels. The choice between petrol and diesel is boiling down to something like "which car looks better" kinda question.
Well, for me, it's all about dealing with unnecessary hassles of a diesel, if running is low, and issues crop up. Looks are not as important.
Are any of the folks you're talking about with less than a 1000 kms. of quarterly running experiencing any issues, this far?

Thanks
Old 15th March 2008, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the Stile Multijet today eve. I was impressed with its power delivery and brakes. Would seriously suggest it over Indica.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

since you want a tata why not wait for the new indica? im sure itll be out in the next couple of months.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

1)will you be driving
2) how many people on board ( you included)

If you hate traffic now, you'll hate it even more if you get one of the above. their dimensions arent very city friendly.

but if its highway driving for the most part, a tata would make more sense

the choice of engines, I would say depends on your usage

City? - get the dicor. The torque and power comes at lower revs , and will help a LOT in city driving. In addition, the Dicor is a bit more complex, and roadside mechs might not be able to figure it out if( god forbid) something goes wrong. in addition, it prefers to drink cleaner fuel

Highyway? get a plain turbo. its simpler, and it's more tolerant to bad fuel, and the sudden surge of power when the turbo kicks in on the highway is very addictive ( it's more gentle in the dicor)

Having said all this, usually i try my best to make people consider tata vehicles as an option. In this case however, i would advice you to do the opposite, if low monthly running and city driving is involved...

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th March 2008 at 22:13.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:13   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
since you want a tata why not wait for the new indica? im sure itll be out in the next couple of months.
Yeah, but then again, I am a tad sceptical, because of the reasons mentioned by me. Besides, I think TATA will price it at a premium price- far exceeding my budget.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking only at Tata then we think you should wait for the new version of Indica, by which you can better performance....

But again if you do not want to takle chance on the newer engine then i would recommend the IndigoCS LS TDI as you get boot space in it and more spacious.......

Enjoy your drive........
Old 15th March 2008, 22:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Yeah, but then again, I am a tad sceptical, because of the reasons mentioned by me. Besides, I think TATA will price it at a premium price- far exceeding my budget.
even if they do, their petrols should fall in your budget
Old 15th March 2008, 22:21   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
1)will you be driving
2) how many people on board ( you included)
1. Yes
2. Just me.

Quote:
the Dicor is a bit more complex, and roadside mechs might not be able to figure it out if( god forbid) something goes wrong. in addition, it prefers to drink cleaner fuel
So, the DiCOR wouldn't make for a good highway vehicle?
Cleaner fuel?

Quote:
Highyway? get a plain turbo. its simpler, and it's more tolerant to bad fuel, and the sudden surge of power when the turbo kicks in on the highway is very addictive ( it's more gentle in the dicor)
My priority is FE, don't care much for the turbo kicking in. Isn't the DiCOR more fuel efficient than the turbo?

Quote:
Having said all this, usually i try my best to make people consider tata vehicles as an option. In this case however, i would advice you to do the opposite, if low monthly running and city driving is involved...
Thanks, but it's TATA for me.

Quote:
even if they do, their petrols should fall in your budget
Yes, but at this time, I am still in the preliminary phase of deciding if it should be a diesel or a petrol.
Besides, with regard to the new V3, what's with the instrument cluster being placed in the middle of the dashboard? Taking your eyes off the road to take a peak at the speedometer, and the fuel gages---it's a safety hazard, in my opinion.

Last edited by theMAG : 15th March 2008 at 23:05. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 minutes
Old 15th March 2008, 22:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the DiCOR wouldn't make for a good highway vehicle?
Cleaner fuel?
no, no, whatever a turbo can do, a dicor should be able to do better. The sudden rush when the turbo gets going is just one of the turbo's quirks which I've come to love , thats all

well about cleaner fuel, all common rails are like that - they have more complex fuel filtration systems etc
Old 15th March 2008, 22:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Its an interesting case. Had it been a normal scenario, I would have suggested a petrol car for your running.
But since you will go ONLY for a TATA car, i think it makes more sense to go for the diesel since TATA is better at making diesel cars than petrol ones.

But just out of curiosity, why only TATA ?
Old 15th March 2008, 22:42   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Its an interesting case. Had it been a normal scenario, I would have suggested a petrol car for your running.
But since you will go ONLY for a TATA car, i think it makes more sense to go for the diesel since TATA is better at making diesel cars than petrol ones.

But just out of curiosity, why only TATA ?
I realise that TATAs forte are their diesels, but does choosing a diesel over petrol, merely because it is a TATA, make sense? Is monthly running not a factor, in this decision?

My folks have always gone with Maruti, from the 800 to the Swift. The next best thing is TATA, with their service networks, availability and cost of spares, build quality of their vehicles, etc.

Could someone address, whether the new diesels, like the DiCOR and the TDi can be considered, for low monthly running? Once this is decided, I can proceed with what vehicle I wish to go with.
Frankly, since I'll be out most of the time, I can't deal with the hassles of maintenance and other vehicle issues, with most conventional diesels- unless it's not the same case with the DiCORs and TDis!

Last edited by theMAG : 15th March 2008 at 22:51. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 minutes
Old 15th March 2008, 22:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Indica Dicor, since you've so succintly mentioned your requirements.
Old 15th March 2008, 23:02   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My folks have always gone with Maruti, from the 800 to the Swift. The next best thing is TATA, with their service networks, availability and cost of spares, build quality of their vehicles, etc.
Hmmm.... I think Hyundai might also fit your bill, especially since you are in Mumbai.

So my suggestion would be to go for a Hyundai petrol (Santro / i10).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks