Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 08:53   #31
BANNED

price of diesel variant of a car is aprox. 1L more than its petrol variant. if you drive 600km a month than before buying diesel car calculate how much time it will take to make your savings from equal to 1L . i cant say about new diesel engines but i have seen many diesel car engines dead at around 1L km . diesel cars also have high repair cost, require more maintainence. i have personally seen 2-3 accent crdis loosing there power at 60k km as they were not regularly serviced
Old 16th March 2008, 09:00   #32
BHPian

It's good to see a thread dedicated only to Tata vehicles. It would be very helpful for me since I am also facing a similar dilemma where I am comparing Indigo CS GLS petrol with other cars from Maruti and Hyundai stables. Moreover the same question : "Why not diesel, though I will be driving less than 1K per month?" bugs me.

I found Indigo CS to be a fantastic car with a mouth-watering price tag. Would look forward to feedback from other Tata automobile owners.
Old 16th March 2008, 09:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

completely agree with harry.

I would recommend Stile SLE or Xeta GLX. Stile because its a palio and it has crazy discounts. 1.6 Sports is quite VFM. With your running, mileage is inconsequential - the fun factor is important too!! Xeta GLX if you want a cheap decent fun to drive petrol (but nowhere as free revving as alto say) with decent mileage and a torquey 1.4L engine. The 1.2 isnt sa much fun (we have xeta 1.4/alto in the family).

CS is NOT a good idea, because its still a GOOD premium to pay for a boot. With your kinda running, I doubt you'd need a boot that often. And the additional running of 1.4L won't hurt.

PS: Except the DiCOR, tata aren't like making diesels that are way ahead of petrols. The only reasons diesels are preferred is because they are used in taxis. If you see delhi today, sooo many Xeta CNG cabs are running all over the place successfully. Please drop the notion that petrol indicas aren't as good.

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th March 2008 at 09:06.
Old 16th March 2008, 09:19   #34
BANNED

I guess, it's a Petrol then for me! Thanks guys, for all the inputs and your advice.

As far as what vehicle goes, I think I want to go with either the XETA GLG or the GLX, since my priorities are VFM and a comfortable ride. Since it is a TATA product, I am not too worried about the build quality and overall stability of the vehicle.
The GLG is priced almost 40K higher than the GLX, and I didn't think that this difference was justified, while doing a comparison of their features.
Besides, isn't the FE of the GLG a tad higher (almost 2 kmpl) than the GLX?

Last edited by luvjascha : 16th March 2008 at 09:28.
Old 16th March 2008, 09:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

umm, not really. the 1.4 gave my bro 12-13 easily in delhi-gurgaon bumper crawling (initial 1000km, post it, almost all CNG!). But the torque makes it snappier, plus lotsa features.

If you are okay with the 1.2 engine - then GLG is a good value buy. That was my fav model till the new 1.2 engines came in.
Old 16th March 2008, 12:19   #36
Team-BHP Support

Good that you decided on a petrol. But mind you, an Indica is not the most fuel efficient petrol that you will find.
I think you should look at the Getz too.
All the best
Old 16th March 2008, 13:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Good that you decided on a petrol. But mind you, an Indica is not the most fuel efficient petrol that you will find.
All the best
Eddy bhai,

there we go again! With a Xeta 30k down in the family, I can attest to the above numbers. You're telling me that the Getz will do *significantly* better? Mind you, in his running, Getz premium will take enough time to be recovered. At that price, he could take a dicor with much lesser cost/km as well no?

Plus, he's clearly willing to live the indica niggles
Old 16th March 2008, 13:54   #38
BANNED

@luvjascha While I do think that Xeta is a good buy, are you sure that your monthly running will remain at 600 KM per month? :P

Just consider the chances are that with a diesel, you may travel more per month than you currently do.
Old 16th March 2008, 13:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Research

Please do not discount the diesel just yet. Ask around a little more. Drive a few. You may change your mind. There is one other factor that may seem a bit bizarre to you. We may well get into a petroleum crunch (shortage) the likes of which we have never seen before. THis because of an uncertain petroleum future and politcal climate in the mid-east. It is time to think about which motor is more likely to be easily adapted to an alternative fuel. I confess, I do not know the answer to this one. But, yes, if I were purchasing a vehicle now I would want to know.
Old 16th March 2008, 14:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Eddy bhai,

there we go again! With a Xeta 30k down in the family, I can attest to the above numbers. You're telling me that the Getz will do *significantly* better? Mind you, in his running, Getz premium will take enough time to be recovered. At that price, he could take a dicor with much lesser cost/km as well no?

Plus, he's clearly willing to live the indica niggles
Yessir. Completely agree with your point. If he has taken into account your last sentence, then Xeta is a good choice. I just occurred to me that he is not the kinds who would appreciate frequent trips to the service station to correct the niggles, even if they are covered in warranty.
Old 16th March 2008, 15:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@luvjascha While I do think that Xeta is a good buy, are you sure that your monthly running will remain at 600 KM per month? :P

Just consider the chances are that with a diesel, you may travel more per month than you currently do.
That is so true. Now that I have a diesel, i don't give a second thought to travelling more , or taking the long cut, if the drive is better. In fact, the more i drive, the better i feel
Old 16th March 2008, 20:03   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

If you are okay with the 1.2 engine - then GLG is a good value buy. That was my fav model till the new 1.2 engines came in.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the new 1.2L engines. The GLG has a 1.2L engine, while the GLX, a 1.4L, correct?
Old 16th March 2008, 20:13   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the new 1.2L engines. The GLG has a 1.2L engine, while the GLX, a 1.4L, correct?
Old - pre Jan 2007 - GLGs came with 1.4 L engines. For some time, as soon as GLG and lower variants started to come with 1.2 L engines, teh variants were GV*. Thus, all of the initial GL* series have 1.4 engines. But recent GLG and lesser variants have 1.2 L engine. GLX - the top end variant - throughout has the 1.4 L engine.
Old 16th March 2008, 20:14   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
an Indica is not the most fuel efficient petrol that you will find.
In case of the Getz Prime 1.1L GVS (the variant I'd consider), I don't think I am willing to pay over a lac of rupees, if the other choice was either of the XETAs (GLG/GLX)
Besides, I don't really think there'd be a significant difference in FE between the two vehicles; even if there were, I think I'd be able to live with it.
Plus the XETA is more VFM.
Old 16th March 2008, 20:21   #45
BHPian

The question you have asked is exactly what i wanted to ask, but it seems i have got the answer. I was a die hard fan to go for indica diesel for VFM,and FE but when i did a bit math on the cost of ownership, the decision went sour. If you are just looking for VFM and space inside as I am, i will prefer petrol car Indica Xeta and 2nd choice Santro Xing, it just costs now 370000 on road in Pune.(U can expect some bargains)
Now boiling down to math, Indica diesel Turbo ,cost 420000 onroad.Indica Xeta Onroad around 300000. U save 120000.Cost of fuel per km,indica diesel turbo having average of 18kms per litre 37(Diesel cost)/18= 2.05. Petrol cost 54/14=3.85 Per km cost difference=3.85-2.05= 1.807 Rs/km. So how many kms required to breakeven the extra 120000 you shelled out for a diesel vehicle?=120000/1.807 = 66,408 kms. After 66,408 kms your diesel vehicle will start giving you benfits, till that time petrol is beneficial.We still havent considered the maintenance costs (which are one of the main factors in cost of ownership and people neglect it so easily).Diesel vehicle oil change period is 5000km and for petrol its 10000. So you nearly go double the times to a service centre if you buy a diesel vehicle.So you need to add double the cost of labour and oil change in the total cost of ownership of your diesel cars. So the breakeven of 66,408 kms is further taken to more than 74,000 kms. Considering you drive 600kms per month,annual usage is 600 x 12 = 7200kms .74000 kms/7200 = 10.2 years. It means to reach breakeven point between diesel and petrol, you will require 10.2 years and i think by that time any sensible person would have already sold the car!!!(We still havent put the use of LPG gas kit into picture Go for Indica Xeta if you just want VFM and space. Santro Xing at 370000 rs would give you trouble free performance, better reliablity, a bit less space than indica Xeta and very imp-More resale value when u sell the car. So go for Santro Xing .If you want to pay less initial payment and more space,cheaper spares,less FE,compartively less reliability (wrto Santro Xing) go for Tata Indica Xeta.
Always do the math before buying a Car!!!. Ultimately its your choice whether u just want VFM for a bit of looks,style etc.... If you dont want to get confused more dont read further ....(More points, Santro can seat 3 people at back seat whereas no maruti car can seat comfortably. Indica scores over all the cars in its segment in seatin space on rear seat. Dont go for Indica Dicor really not VFM and fuel efficiency is not better than TURBO.Instead go for MJD engine, if you still want to go for high end diesel.)

Hope i cleared your confusion mathematically.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed