Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2005, 20:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indica or Santro/WagonR ?

Hi.
One of my uncle is planning to buy a new B segment car... he has shortlisted the following:
Hyundai Santro
Maruti WagonR
Tata Indica (diesel)

daily usage: about 55 km (city+highway)

Being an owner of a WagonR myself i have actually recommended him the Indica... since after using the wagonr for about 1 year i dont think that its performance is miles ahead of Indica/Santro....
Also Indica has the advantage of having a diesel engine and its spacious and comfortable inside..(with lots of tiny little features like internally adjustable OVRM etc. etc.)...

but the flip side of Indica as far as i have heard is its high maintainance....(after all, how many pre-v2 indicas you see on road)...
is it true that engine life of WagonR/Santro is way ahead of Indica??..
And if at all Indica is better, which model is the best in terms of value for money?..
Old 29th January 2005, 20:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

well i would sugest an indica for your uncle
he drives enough to justify a diesel. the indica is a bit problematic but nothing too much.. the usual. besides i had a pre V2 indica and it gave no problem and tatas is improving its quality too ..
i suggest you wait for the indica turbo.
not only will your uncle be saving the environment, he will enjoy the experience
Old 29th January 2005, 20:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

well as you say Indica has better space inside and is a diesel . and if ur looking for FE as a parameter then the Indica makes sense. maintainence i dont know maybe some indica owners mite help out.

but the car i suggest wud be the santro . i have lived with it for 3 years and believe me the car is the most comfortable and sensible city car available today. it is a bit cramped compared to the indica and the rear seat comfort isnt that great. FE is arnd 12 kmpl and hyundai service is absolute peace of mind .

and abt wagon r - well u have recommended the indica inspite of owning a wagon r , so i guess thats out of the question !

cheers
Old 29th January 2005, 21:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest him to wait for the CRDi Santro if it is going to be launched soon.
Old 30th January 2005, 04:16   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Being an owner of a WagonR myself i have actually recommended him the Indica... since after using the wagonr for about 1 year i dont think that its performance is miles ahead of Indica/Santro....
ok.. not miles ahead of santro... but i guess its a few light years ahead of a diesel indica!

though Indica makes more sense in this scenario for other reasons!
Old 30th January 2005, 10:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

As u asked about the model.. going for the diesel version of the Indica... u can go for the DLS or the DLG...in the DLG u get front power windows where as u dont get them in the DLS. These is no point in paying 20-30 thousand more for the topend model.

Secondly..I had an Indica V2, 2002 model DLE. I dont understand..why many people believe diesels need heavy maintainence. If you drive properly, dont mess up with the car...there is no way it will ever let u spend unecessarily from ur pocket.
Old 30th January 2005, 10:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

so when is the Indica Turbo coming??.. sure that would equal santro/wagonr in terms of performance....
and how come a Turbo Charger make it more eco friendly..??.. i thought CRDI was the only way for diesel cars to fight EIII norms....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks