Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 00:55   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift VDI, VXI or ZXI! Purchasing within a week

A previous thread was closed which was comparing Swift variants VDI, VXI and ZXI. I would like to have valuable input from our members again since I've already given an advance of 50K to the dealer for VXI but I've the flexibility to shift over to ZXI.

I live in US and my parents in HYD. We had a Indigo LXI TDI bought in Nov 2005 My dad was very particular about FE factor but since it was our first car I didnt know how many KMS we will put on an average. We got rid of our Indigo last month for 4.1L (Bought it at 6.3 on road excluding car stereo). We clocked 13k Kms before we sold it bcos of maintenance problems.

--My dad wants a VDI bcos of FE factor
--I want a pertol version bcos of the fear factor of maintenance and of- course drivability in busy roads of HYD.
--My parents will come to US for atleast 4 months this summer and maybe every 2 yrs.
--Safety is one of the most important factors
--VDI is being sold for 35K extra in black (like movie tickets) in Hyderabad.
-- Consider 13K mileage over the period of 27 months
--I like ZXI for its safety features and add on values

I'll appreciate your input and it'll make a definite impact on my purchase.
Old 20th March 2008, 11:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Zxi for you since your running is minimal and the added safety feature.

Vdi will be a waste of money, but dont worry its easy on pocket wrt maintanence FYI.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think ZXI suits your requirements. Go for the it.

VDI is low on maintenance but your running is not enough to justify a diesel.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
--My dad wants a VDI bcos of FE factor
--I want a pertol version bcos of the fear factor of maintenance and of- course drivability in busy roads of HYD.
I don't want to confuse you, but the 'drivability on busy roads' factor you pointed out, that too for your dad who would be a calm driver and gentle on throttle unlike us (), I think majority of the TBhpians have voted for VDi over petrol as it has more low end torque and fun to drive in city.

I drive a VXi and always love the petrols, love the high-rev fun factor. But those who are very gentle on throttle pedal and love the smooth and slow take off / rollon I also agree that diesel is better.

But for your milege per day / month, and considering the VFM offered by ZXi in case of safety featurs, alloys, wider tyres etc, ZXi is the choice. I would suggest to request your dad to take TDs on both petrol and diesel versions to see his comfort level in city driving.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

No doubts at all - your gut instinct is right. It should be the ZXi.
Given your driving history, diesel would not be the right choice.
Get the fun of Petrol and as a bonus, get a safe car (ABS, Airbags) for your parents.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Paying an unofficial premium is not acceptable in today's free-market economy. Stick with the Zxi.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:53   #7
BHPian

i wud go for the ZXi, if i were u
keeping in all the safety features as well
Old 20th March 2008, 13:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you plan to clock 13K or a little more in 2 years then it has to be a petrol version. Diesels are considered for a running of 1500km or more a month. Also, if your parents running is only in city, there is no need to even consider a ZXI as those safety features will hardly come into use.

Settle for a VXI and you will save some additional money!
Old 20th March 2008, 13:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

I drive a petrol swift and slow speed drivability is not a real concern. Mileage is also pretty good if driven in a sedate manner.

Buy that Zxi !
Old 20th March 2008, 13:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

ZXI buddie.You get more features more safety elements like the abs and airbag.You can also think of vxi with the abs airbag option.But my inclination to zxi is because of the climate control and the rear wipers which is real VFM and usefull too.
ram
Old 20th March 2008, 13:41   #11
BHPian

ZXI, if you value the safety features but if you like the FE more ( though the low running does not justify the diesel), VDI is great. Personal opinion though, the safety features of ZXI makes the case stronger for it anytime.
Old 20th March 2008, 14:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you plan to clock 13K or a little more in 2 years then it has to be a petrol version. Diesels are considered for a running of 1500km or more a month. Also, if your parents running is only in city, there is no need to even consider a ZXI as those safety features will hardly come into use.

Settle for a VXI and you will save some additional money!
I beg to disagree. Even in Hyd, one could be zipping on empty roads near Gachibowli. ABS is a boon to have. This apart, alloy wheels give your car a much better look, apart from contributing to FE and better braking.
Old 20th March 2008, 14:25   #13
BHPian

I wud go for ZXi for its safety features. Stick to it dude.
Old 20th March 2008, 14:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I beg to disagree. Even in Hyd, one could be zipping on empty roads near Gachibowli. ABS is a boon to have. This apart, alloy wheels give your car a much better look, apart from contributing to FE and better braking.

Well, its your opinion about ABS being useful for a car meant for elderly people ( read, careful driving) and did you think that his parents will be zipping around empty stretches near Gachibowli?

Also, can you explain how alloy wheels help in getting you a better FE and also stop the car better?
Old 20th March 2008, 15:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Go for ZXI.
It suits your usage and safety features are the best you will get in a hatch back.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks