Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Need help to choose an Automatic Transmission hatchback

hi guys,
I n my wife plan to buy a hatchback for her to use. we intend to do the buying just after the monsoon. She feels more comfy with an AT and so we wanted to do some research regarding the options we have. Is there much of a choice? I heard Wagon R and Santro had an AT option. WHat about the rest? Will the i10 have an AT? We are not keen on the boxy Wagon R or the outdated santro. Can we expect anything better soon? WHat about the splash?
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope to have i10 with auto transmission by time of your purchase (monsoon season), it's long overdue. Otherwise you will have to settle for Santro/WagonR with auto transmission.

Typically, manufacturers don't launch auto option at the time of vehicle launch. So, splash with auto option would not be reality in 2008.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
hi guys,
I n my wife plan to buy a hatchback for her to use. we intend to do the buying just after the monsoon. She feels more comfy with an AT and so we wanted to do some research regarding the options we have. Is there much of a choice? I heard Wagon R and Santro had an AT option. WHat about the rest? Will the i10 have an AT? We are not keen on the boxy Wagon R or the outdated santro. Can we expect anything better soon? WHat about the splash?
You really do not have much choice at the hatchback. Currently only Wagon R and Santro offer it. i10 AT is supposed to be launched in June - there are no AT options on any other hatch.

Between Santro and Wagon R - Santro is a no-brainer. Wagon R AT has only 3 gears, Santro AT has 4 and an Overdrive.

Good luck on the search!
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Wagon R AT has only 3 gears, Santro AT has 4 and an Overdrive.

WagonR (or any other Maruti) is no more available in AT. When it did, it did have only three gears.

Santro is a 4 speed AT including the overdrive.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

WagonR (or any other Maruti) is no more available in AT.

There is a Grand Vitara AT.

About the Santro
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ble-again.html
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>There is a Grand Vitara AT.

I could escape by saying that we were discussing hatchbacks. But frankly, I stand corrected.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

weel trrk you are correct when you say

Quote:
WagonR (or any other Maruti) is no more available in AT
Because The Grand Vitara is not a Maruti

Anyways coming back to Topic. Sadly you dont have much option other than the Santro curently, there are speculations about an i10 AT but its not confirmed yet
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Between the Santro and the Wagon R, Santro is the better bet. A friend has been using a Santro AT for quite sometime now and is very happy with the car. Plus, it has the extra ratio.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:53   #9
BHPian

TBHPians come on. Wagon R AT is no longer being sold. Only hatch available with AT is Santro. next auto is City CVT , then Civic and Corolla and Vitara onwards.
In diesel nearest AT is Laura only. So pick your choice.

Santro AT is good enough for city commute. I have picked up one last month and have driven it in Mumbai. Its very good and comfy for city commute. FE is approx. 10kmpl - hope to see it improving after second service if it does.Production was stopped in 2007 Nov/ Dec. But again made available in Mar- for Woman's day celebrations.

Wait for i10 AT, if you can though dates are not confirmed but should be out in April -May( fingers crossed).

Last edited by shatrughna : 3rd April 2008 at 16:54.
Old 4th April 2008, 16:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
TBHPians come on. Wagon R AT is no longer being sold. Only hatch available with AT is Santro. next auto is City CVT

Wait for i10 AT, if you can though dates are not confirmed but should be out in April -May( fingers crossed).
One option might to take the City CVT and send it to DC. He can chop the rear off and convert it into a hatch. ok I was kidding. On a more serious note wonder if Honda will realise this big gap in the market and introduce the Fit-CVT here along with the manual versions.

although the i10 is a new platform and has much better interiors than the santro it shares the sme engine (and tranmission) as the santro. I dont find the santro to be very responsive and expect the i10 to share this drawback.
Old 4th April 2008, 16:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully, by the time u plan to get a car, the i10 auto should be out. Else the default choice is the santro automatic. The wagonR auto is not available-Thankfully!!
Old 4th April 2008, 17:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
although the i10 is a new platform and has much better interiors than the santro it shares the sme engine (and tranmission) as the santro. I dont find the santro to be very responsive and expect the i10 to share this drawback.
Hi Naveen! I have driven Santro AT on a 80kms commute to my office in Mumbai and back to Navi Mumbai and let me share than its a fantastic car at this price point and there is a good peppy engine, a fine auto tranny and manageable size and its a good package.

Its quite peppy and in fact, trust me , in traffic situation/ free road - on highway, I never felt that it is underpowered , in fact it is such a fun car. And please, note that my point of reference is Accent & Verna CRDi in India, Camry and Corolla in UAE that I have driven.

Its a fun car and I am sure i10 will not feel as an underpowered car- man floor the pedal and see the fun. Of course FE I got is 10 kmpl. Is that too bad-
Old 4th April 2008, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

WR auto is available with a waiting period of 1 month.Its a 3 speed tranny and santro is 4 speed.Have to take a TD of both to decide.Have driven both and dint find any huge difference between both.WR is having a smooth drive and santro a bumpy one.Santro pick up is good and WR has a relatively slow start.
ram
Old 4th April 2008, 19:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well you hardly have a choice here. You have to choose between the WagonR and the Santro. I have a Santro A/T and its clocked 61K without any problems. My friend has a WagonR A/T and has clocked 25K without problems too. The Santro's auto box is a three four speed with overdrive whereas the WagonR is a three speed without overdrive. Of the both (which I have driven extensively) I would recommend the Santro as it is more fuel efficient (at least in the A/T sec tor) and is a pleasure to drive with a lot more pep than the sluggish WagonR. The Santro, relatively also requires less upkeep. The Wagon R has a more comfortable driving position and is a bit more roomier. Now you decide.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi ram,

> WR auto is available with a waiting period of 1 month.Its a 3 speed tranny

Did not know that. My uncle was using a WagonR AT of 2000 which was replaced by a new WagonR. Uses it in Kotayam, ease of entry and exit very important after a hip surgery.

I have not driven a Santro AT so far, with an attempted test drive went wrong as they wanted me to drive inside their yard.

The other Wagon R has been with me for 3 or 4 months in its life - when it was about 1 year old and recently before it was sold.

I found it was very good upto about 80kph. Afterwards, the engine noise is irritatingly loud and it begged for a higher ratio. If I were to compare I would say it had the first three gears of its equivalent manual and was very agile and fast. I enjoyed it when I had with it. In those days, it came without power steering and it was tough at parking speeds.

I still remember a family ride in it to Nagercoil and it was fun.

The downside was the atrocious mileage, could never eke out more than 12kpl in its time with me.

I have not driven any other WagonR AT and I always felt that something was wrong with the gearbox in that car. But it did over 135000+kms with the group, albeit with one engine overhaul and a gearbox overhaul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks