old zen 50 17.06%
chevy srv 10 3.41%
other small hatch - 800, alto, santro, uva, reva, meva :-) 7 2.39%
yet to be launched or import a sport hatch 12 4.10%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2008, 22:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. Bypassing our 20 character rule is strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2008 at 13:12.
Old 20th April 2008, 22:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Great that we are in agreement on this one

OT: BTW, we share the same first name too

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2008 at 13:12. Reason: Removing quoted post that was eventually deleted.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:00   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The excess air coming out of the WG is a fresh air. The EGR works on the exhaust gases to monitor the NOx gases.
How is that possible? Waste gate opens to divert the exhaust away from the turbine to keep boost under check.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The excess air coming out of the WG is a fresh air. The EGR works on the exhaust gases to monitor the NOx gases.
Some major corrections to your comments:

1. The wastegate lets out excessive exhaust gasses slowing down the turbine.

2. EGR is for letting in a portion of the exhaust gasses back into the intake manifold.
Old 21st April 2008, 00:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Some major corrections to your comments:

1. The wastegate lets out excessive exhaust gasses slowing down the turbine.

2. EGR is for letting in a portion of the exhaust gasses back into the intake manifold.
1. No! air from waste gate is not 'fresh air' but same exhaust gas that drives the TC turbine, it keeps the boost in control. Its a counter measure to save engine & TC from damage.

2. You both are right on this one. EGR recirculates portion of exhaust gases to intake manifold. Why? to reduce emmision on the expense of negligible power loss.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:52   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
How is that possible? Waste gate opens to divert the exhaust away from the turbine to keep boost under check.
To clear up the confusion:
WG work on turbine side of turbo which uses exhaust energy and feeds in to compressor on a turbo.

BOV is added after the outlet of turbo compressor which is sucking fresh air from atmosphere. These two are different circuites and are not directly connected to each other save for the turbine-compressor shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
2. You both are right on this one. EGR recirculates portion of exhaust gases to intake manifold. Why? to reduce emmision on the expense of negligible power loss.
Is this used to heat incoming air?
Old 21st April 2008, 11:23   #157
BANNED

I know, that's why i asked how that was possible.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:23   #158
BHPian

Sankar, my comment was directed to headers's post not yours. Sorry for confusion.
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi again,
Its great that you have had the opportunity to open the turbocharger..But did if fail?
No, the oil seals had failed and it was smoking. There was also some play. But it was not a complete failure. What I'm saying is I have seen the blades scraping the inside of the housing, and further such incidents often lead to complete failure. This sort of thing can be avoided if pressure reversal is avoided, using a BOV. The end.
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
No, the oil seals had failed and it was smoking. There was also some play. But it was not a complete failure. What I'm saying is I have seen the blades scraping the inside of the housing, and further such incidents often lead to complete failure. This sort of thing can be avoided if pressure reversal is avoided, using a BOV. The end.
Thats great..we'll take if offline..Welcome to track day!
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:51   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
To clear up the confusion:
WG work on turbine side of turbo which uses exhaust energy and feeds in to compressor on a turbo.

BOV is added after the outlet of turbo compressor which is sucking fresh air from atmosphere. These two are different circuites and are not directly connected to each other save for the turbine-compressor shaft.

Is this used to heat incoming air?
No! it lowers combution temperture by diluting the mix with inertgas present in exhaust. But in diesel since the mixture is not ignited by plugs as in petrol engine, exhaust gas is cooled through coolers/heat exchangers and mixed with fresh air.
Old 12th July 2008, 20:13   #162

Best hatchback for modification?

Hey Guys,

I am a car newbie, but always dreamt about getting something like in need for speed series

I am planning to buy a hatch back and would like to customize its looks. Should I go for a secondhand one so I can invest more on modification part or should buy a new one use it for some time and then get it modified?

And which hatchback has the best price vs performance ratio according to you all?

Cheers

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th July 2008 at 22:46. Reason: merged
Old 27th February 2010, 16:56   #163
BHPian

its almost 2 years since I started this thread - does anyone think things have changed with the launch of punto, figo and polo?
Given that the sport/hot-hatch variants of the above 3 with good/turbo engines and disc brakes, etc are still nowhere in sight - does anyone think being euro cars, they can be modified better than the swift, etc? I am guessing these euro cars do handle better than swift/palio/etc and don't need more mods there, however they still lack the engines!
Old 28th February 2010, 16:38   #164
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Swift & ol' Zen remain tuner favorites today. Actually, you can extend it to Japanese cars overall. Light weight (higher return on investment ), free revving engines and plenty of swap options.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:08   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxor View Post
Hey Guys,

I am a car newbie, but always dreamt about getting something like in need for speed series .
No brainer. Get a used car and spend the extra cash on mods.

Depeding on your budget there's quite a few options out there but I'm not an expert in this area so I'll let someone else answer your which car question.

Most Viewed