old zen 50 17.06%
chevy srv 10 3.41%
other small hatch - 800, alto, santro, uva, reva, meva :-) 7 2.39%
yet to be launched or import a sport hatch 12 4.10%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 21:03   #106
BHPian

agreed an old zen makes much more sense but then it also makes sense to get a getz crdi petes with some handling mods as your primary daily driver non-risk mod car and then a cheap zen to play around n go all out
Old 16th April 2008, 22:26   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BOSS, guess you could just add a BOV and an intercooler to any Turbo? I'm afraid not unless you understand engine design and thermodynamics!

Guess we should not throw all the words that we see / read onto the forum without a proper understanding of the function. No offense though!
Very true. I go with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Stage 1
An old alto lx. Replace the 800cc engine with the baleno engine and gearbox. Add sportier suspension, all 4 wheel disks and better rubber. Add a rollcage, and remove the rear seats.
Stage 2
Tweak the baleno engine with better headers, exhaust, sparks, increase compression
Stage 3
Add a turbocharger

Oh and please keep the alto looking like a standard lx, with maybe wider rubber, take to the expressway and watch some serious ego crushes
Wooops. No words to respond.
I feel Alto is too light weighted a car to run at high speeds even with its current configuration, forget baleno engine. And i read that turbocharge is added. well well, just cant imagine how such configured Alto will handle corners.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th April 2008 at 23:20. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 minutes
Old 16th April 2008, 22:39   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
agreed an old zen makes much more sense but then it also makes sense to get a getz crdi petes with some handling mods as your primary daily driver non-risk mod car and then a cheap zen to play around n go all out
problem is the cost of a getz and petes it is going to work out costly if i am right around 8l odd.

rather a zen with a honda mill like a b series motor for say around 4-5l including car which makes more sense but again some money should be spent on chassis and handling mods like better suspension and a roll cage.
should make the car fast some 250+ bhp per tonne.but again time problem with the zen build is quite sure.
Old 16th April 2008, 22:48   #109
BHPian

Quote:
BOSS, guess you could just add a BOV and an intercooler to any Turbo? I'm afraid not unless you understand engine design and thermodynamics!

Guess we should not throw all the words that we see / read onto the forum without a proper understanding of the function. No offense though!
sorry headers missed your post - now that vinit pointed at it, i saw it
i am not in the auto industry and have a very limit (read enthusiast level) knowledge on the advanced aspects of automobile modification. I have seen people add HKS BOVs to existing diesel turbos (including the getz vgt) on youtube and that was what i was referring to

please consider me as a car enthusiast who is interested in owning an indian hatch whose performance can be enhanced most with aftermarket mods. I will not be installing these mods on my own but would like to learn and understand to the max atleast in theory before I get a mod done. Practically speaking the mod which could be adding a turbo or enhancing a vgt or whatever will be done by a seasoned expert and I trust there are plenty of good ones capable of understanding the necessary parameters like engine design and thermodynamics here Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Modifiers Database

My quest on this thread is to decide on the right car and that requires understanding which mods are practical. In that aspect, I agree that you maybe right in saying enhancing a diesel vgt is extremely difficult if not impossible, however adding a turbo to a petrol seems viable these days

Last edited by jassi : 16th April 2008 at 22:50.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:16   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
should make the car fast some 250+ bhp per tonne.but again time problem with the zen build is quite sure.
250 bhp per tonne???? How did u calculate that? Please elaborate?
Old 16th April 2008, 23:28   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
250 bhp per tonne???? How did u calculate that? Please elaborate?
that would be power/weight x 1000.

read it up some where here only on the forum.
Old 17th April 2008, 00:34   #112
Senior - BHPian

250bhp / tonne on zen ... what about handling, aerodynamics and traction. Have seen videos of some hot fwd's online but Know that anything above 175 is going to be hard or rather impossible to handle as a daily driver on Indian roads.

I always thought that this thread was about cars that could be driven every day. May be it would be better to step back and rethink the options on hand .

By the way the alto has a stiffer chassis thab the zen but the zen has a wider bodyshell to accommodate slightly bigger engines.

One thing that you all seem to overlook is RWD as an option and may not need to be an Indian hatch.
Old 17th April 2008, 01:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Pawan - All this B-series talk is good in theory but how reliable is this going to be?? As reliable as Peted's Swift D or a Getz CRDi?? From experience I don't think so.

Cars with major work like Engine swaps, after market turbo's usually require a lot more maintenance & careful handling then something which is stock apart from the remap.
Old 17th April 2008, 01:50   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Very true. I go with you.

Wooops. No words to respond.
I feel Alto is too light weighted a car to run at high speeds even with its current configuration, forget baleno engine. And i read that turbocharge is added. well well, just cant imagine how such configured Alto will handle corners.
bhai kaha je rahe ho...

it has already been done many decades ago. havn't you heard about insanely moded minis (plz note its all in small letters) that won races.

i have heard about maruti 800 fitted with suzuki gti engine. doing quartermile in 11 secs flat.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
We all know that the pioneer of modifaction or souping up started with our Good old M-800.

This is the best car for souping up.

Why i meant a 800 is
1) cant swap any other petrol engine on to it for limited space.
2) Can work on individual Cylinders to draw power.
3) Can be reliable even after souping up

Next comes others.

Easy to plonk any engines easily, so i dont call it souping up.
Well..the best car to soup up would be a Fiat..the Premier Padmini.. An esteem engine in it will have the car going great and being RWD will be fun as well. And it is not gonna hurt your pocket much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
sorry headers missed your post - now that vinit pointed at it, i saw it
I have seen people add HKS BOVs to existing diesel turbos (including the getz vgt) on Youtube
Hey Jassi, Its OK to be an enthuthiast..But one cant believe everything on YouTube..

And to Modify Anything is possible..at some cost ofcourse!

My choice for modding on a budget would be

1: Premier Padmini - With some decent mods to give many newer cars a run as well as it being a RWD its gonna be good fun to drift!

2. Esteem - One of the best cars in the country that can take a lot of shxx
You could plonk a Baleno Engine, Strut brace, Air INtake, Headers etc to have a pretty fast car.

Stay away from Turbochargin any car, especially, aftermarket, UNLESS you are prepared for failures..expensive ones.

I believe one modifies cars to enjoy them..not to sit at the workshop trying to understand "what went wrong"

There may be other opinions too.. so you take your call!

Ofcourse, both the cars i suggested are not Hatchs..but propah sedans!

Last edited by headers : 17th April 2008 at 12:11.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Pawan - All this B-series talk is good in theory but how reliable is this going to be?? As reliable as Peted's Swift D or a Getz CRDi?? From experience I don't think so.

Cars with major work like Engine swaps, after market turbo's usually require a lot more maintenance & careful handling then something which is stock
I agree - 100% Even a remap is maybe the mildest form of a mod!!

BTW, guys, is tri-phase better than Pete's box ? ANy pointers ?
Old 17th April 2008, 12:24   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

BTW, guys, is tri-phase better than Pete's box ? ANy pointers ?
i dont think the tri-phase works on diesels and the petes box on petrols. the petes box gives a higher gain than the tri-phase but the tri-phase is cheaper.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...dded-ride.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dark-side.html
jassi, I think you should go through these threads
Old 17th April 2008, 12:37   #119
BHPian

greenhorn - ofcourse i have gone through those as the events happened
i understand there are huge risks, which is why I always felt a peted getz crdi is safe option and getting a secondary zen for all the risks
however what changed my mind was the recent news going on our forum about reliably running turbo'd swifts!!
Old 17th April 2008, 19:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Jassi the only recommendation is to stick to your heart but at the same time consider the costs of owning and maintaining a ride. It does not necessarily mean that you need to do a build from scratch but from your perspective the getz CRDI is definitely a safer and better option on the long run.

As for the other going on's please remember people have their own requirements and the builds progress as per their needs, it is not necessarily true that the turbo swift is the fastest around but it has been reliable till date but in the same breath I would like to add 3500 km is too short a time to get a full understanding on how it will continue on. My own car has undergone almost close to 30 k km since the turbo but it has also had major upgrades so to say that it has been perfect since the install would also be wrong.

Like they say there are always 2 sides of a coin similarly you have a choice of either going through the pains of building one else use a known base which is known to work well with addon's and just go with it, so be cautious upfront (like you already are) before you regret your decision. Remember there is always a faster ride around but it doesn't mean your ride ain't good enough for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks