Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 09:13   #1
BHPian

Need Advice on Fiat UNO.

Hi All,

I had a look at fiat uno yesterday as i am planing for a car it is a 1.7 D driven about 80k its a bangalore car.

1. Is it worth buying this car?
2. How is the maintenance of this car?
3. Is spares still available?

Showed it to a mechanic here in bangalore but he says that there might not be spares available for this car and also since the production is stopped re-sell is also a problem.

Please advice if this is worth buying.
(price :90k)

@mod i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, would request you to move it to the correct one.

Thank You.
Akeel.
Old 5th May 2008, 09:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently, Uno isnt worth even the mindspace it occupies. If budget is a singular consideration, get a used Matiz/800 and LPG it.
Old 5th May 2008, 13:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It was a good diesel in its days, but not really practical to own in 2008. Give the Uno a skip and look out for used Indica / Palio diesels.
Old 5th May 2008, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from it as it is virtually impossible to find one in a good condition.

Also if you are keen on it, then bargain ( I think 50k is more appropriate a price for the model )
Old 5th May 2008, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Finding one in good condition would be one thing & finding parts for it would be another! Stay away!
Old 5th May 2008, 16:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Only one piece of advice pal. Stay away from it like Plague. Normally mechs (particularly the roadside variety) are very optimistic by nature. They always think of Jugaads and for them everything is "chalta hai" (works for them). However in your case even the mech rang the alarm bell. So that should give you an idea I guess.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even i agree with others. Uno was a good car in its hey days. I travelled once to Bangalore from Hyderabad in an Uno some years ago and was impressed by its road handling capabilities but in this age, it's not worth considering.

I recommend you up your budget a little and look for a good used Palio D
Old 5th May 2008, 22:34   #8
BHPian

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the replies i have skipped the plan of buying this car.. mostly would be going in for a 800 which suits my budget...
Old 6th May 2008, 08:31   #9
BHPian

I wish I could give you a drive in my UNO

First Owner
Model : UNO 1.7 D Trend A/C Non-PS
Year : April 1999
Kms : 105000 in 9 years (I know, the running kms is very less)
Mileage : 14 in City & 18 in Highway with A/C
Repairs: Changed both front and one rear susp comp, Clutch kit, Hydraulic Engine mount, A/C cooling went off 3-4 times (working fine now), first set of tyres lasted 75,000 kms, 3rd new battery and that SUMS it up . No major repairs yet.

The only gripe I have is that we didn't go for Power Steering

But, having said that I would say KEEP AWAY from it, not because lack of spares or anything. But, a well maintained car is hard to come by!
Old 6th May 2008, 10:02   #10
BHPian

@ arif,

Thank you for the response, this car i was talking about is a second owner and is maintained by a doctor he uses it for normal clinic to home kind of stuff and some time during weekends he goes out... its run 80000 kms and is well maintained by him yesterday i took the car to sundaram motors and they said that every thing in this car is fine like the engine life and all the suspension...

but still a little scared to go for this as lot of ppl tell me that spares is very big problem even sundram person told me that if you do not get spares you will have to wait for it...

Most i might buy a 800 for now and may be later as said earlier would go in for a pailo D...
Old 6th May 2008, 10:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
@ arif,

Thank you for the response, this car i was talking about is a second owner and is maintained by a doctor he uses it for normal clinic to home kind of stuff and some time during weekends he goes out... its run 80000 kms and is well maintained by him yesterday i took the car to sundaram motors and they said that every thing in this car is fine like the engine life and all the suspension...

but still a little scared to go for this as lot of ppl tell me that spares is very big problem even sundram person told me that if you do not get spares you will have to wait for it...

Most i might buy a 800 for now and may be later as said earlier would go in for a pailo D...
get checked with kolomi motors near shivajinagar, they are one competent brothers running the service station & have one of the best maintained UNO diesel in bangalore. You should take their word as final.

can u give me the details of the sellers if it ok for u, i am actually looking for an UNO.

FIAT, always.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:21   #12
BHPian

@ sanjaymigur,

i will check with them today and see as to what they say also today would be the final, i am going to check with another brothers friend who has a uno diesel as see as to what he says if it does not work out then i will surely provide with his details...
Old 16th August 2008, 17:21   #13
BHPian

hey guys,

ive been noticing a fair bit of Uno bashing in teambhp. its really sad, coz i own a 999cc FIRE engined Uno for the last 5 years. the car is a 97 model and it had done jus 20K kms when i got it, as of now we are well over 80K.

Let me be absolutely honest, its a typical italian car. you need passion and patience to maintian one. i stay in bangalore and my Uno gets serviced in Kolimi Motors ulsoor. the petrol version obviously being a lot more easier to maintain than the diesel. spares are still available, but u need the right contact to acquire them. the car is an absolute hoot to drive, its one helluva peppy engine. it pulls out a very modest 45 BHp but, when u drive it , feels like a lot lot more. its has avery good power to weight ratio which makes it a great car inside city limits. i get about 13 kmpl within bangalore city (drive from indiranagar to whitefield everyday), and i have got a max of 19 kmpl on the way to madras last year. i even managed to clock an indicated 140 kmph. now its become an obsession to maintain my car.

i also own the palio 1.2 elx (the original ones not the cheap rubbish stile 1.1), i strongly believe my uno is a much better drive than the palio within city limits. on the highways owing to the excess weight the paliop is far more stable but i would suggest an Uno to anyone who wants to buy a brilliant built car which can easily seat 5 + luggage all for less than a lakh of rupees.

the diesel which you guys were talking about (the kolimi owners red 1.7 D), is faily well maintained. i met him earlier today and he is interested in sellin his car when fiat launches the new linea ( eagerly waiting for that myself).

i honestly believe that most of you havent driven an Uno here, its probably one of those gems which did poorly in india. i request you not to give false opinions based on hear say.

cheers,

incase u do buy the Uno, i will tell u where to get all the spares for the car from. the diesel is a great engine and car, ensure its maintained well, else ur in soup.

Sharan

p.s - check out my car... attached a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice on Fiat UNO.-img_0487.jpg  

Old 18th August 2008, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Hey sharanramesh!

Great to see someone coming to the rescue of the FIAT Uno. I too have the pleasure of owning a 1997 FIAT Uno 1.0 FIRE (45 bhp) and boy does it move! (2nd hand car that had done 16K when i got it, now at 43K and going strong!)

Currently, I'm averaging about 17 km/liter in Mysore city driving. The FIAT guy i know in Mysore is a gem and I find no problems getting spares even here.

What all mods have you done to the car if any? Also, if its not a problem, can you PM the number of the FIAT guy you goto in Banglore? I need to get the orignial hub-caps of the car as one of them has broken and am currently using a maruti one.

P.S: Your car really looks cool!
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:28   #15

I also agree with Sharanremesh
Uno is really a masterpiece built by Fiat Itally , sold over 6 millon worlwide, still in production at Brazile factory and sold in lattin america and S.Africa it has a bio fuel version also. those who have doubt can visit numerous websites on Fiat Uno the Gem. It has a plan to relaunch in Europe in 2009 also.
I own a diesel 1.7 D uno, I get a maximum of 22kmpl on highway . allmost all parts are avalilable in kerala. the vehicle is very stable
very less maintanance. but the parts are little bit expensive comparable with Santro or Indica. I apeal that please comment on vehicle only if you have used it thouroughly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks