Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 17:20   #1
BHPian

Can a new driver buy Maruti SWIFT?

Hi,

I am yet to learn driving and was planning to buy a new car sometime in september '08 (after rains).

Just by reading through the reviews on cars across various forums, I thought I can go ahead and buy a Maruti Swift. However, when I was discussing this, some people told me that as a new learner (since this will be the first car after i get my license) it will be dangerous to buy a Swift as it is a powerful vehicle and also that I will face problem to park the car in the reverse (as it is bulky)!!

I stay at Mumbai and will look forward to keep the car I buy atleast for 5 to 6 years. The general usage of the car will not be much (100-150 Km per month) and will be driven by me only mostly. Also, once I am comfortable driving, I will be using the car to go to Pune and also other nearby places for vacationing. Also, I will be looking to have a 5 seater. It is these parameters based on which I zeroed in on SWIFT.

Can you please advice me, if I can go ahead with my plans to buy a SWIFT or if you agree with my earlier advisors, suggest some other car which will suit my purpose.

Thanks for your advices,

Regards,
Old 5th May 2008, 18:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you have the money, you can buy even the S-class (or whichever is the costliest car in India), let alone the Swift. And irrespective of what new car you buy (even the lowly M800), you will take some time getting used to the car, since you don't know driving.

So, go to a good driving school (MUL's driving school is supposed to be good), take your driving lessons, get the help of a friend who knows driving and have him tag along for some lessons in your new car initially. And you should be OK.

Swift looks like a good choice for your needs.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th May 2008 at 18:46.
Old 5th May 2008, 18:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

yess buddy you can buy any car you want,As you are a new driver just be cool and calm when you drive your ride on the roads,Drive safe and yess good choice of car Cheers

Ramie
Old 5th May 2008, 18:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

NV, as everyone has mentioned its ok to buy any car.

Just go ahead and pic the car btw are you picking a diesel or the petrol one??
Old 5th May 2008, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Dude, don't listen to anyone. Buy whichever car you are comfortable with, take it easy for a little time and you should be fine. I bought a brand new Palio 1.6 (always loved the car) just after I learnt driving (hadn't driven for even a minute apart from the driving school). 4 months and 6000 kms later, and here I am. Car is in great condition (soldier got a few bruises in the battle with bad roads), and so is the driver. So, my advise, go ahead and buy any vehicle you like and which fits your reqmnts. All the best!!!
Old 5th May 2008, 19:10   #6
BHPian

i believe that that learning to attain true driving skills is not just to driving any one car(or the car that u learn at the driving school).
just make sure that when you learn to drive.. learn it good and if so,im sure you will be able to buy any car as money permits.
the swift looks like a good choice for you and im sure you will never regret you decision specially cause you plan to keep it for 5-6 years.and trust me just the advantage of power steering in city driving would be an utter bliss for you as compared to the M800.
drive on and do let know ur opinion..
Old 5th May 2008, 19:12   #7
BHPian

I plan to buy the Vxi (petrol)
Old 5th May 2008, 19:14   #8
rippergeo

everyone said the same thing, and I agree. buy any car you want. drive it sensibly and you will be fine.

I'd like to add one thing.
the more powerful the car, the safer it is

Provided
the driver is sensible , and realises his own and the car's limits

most of our roads are 2 laned. when overtaking, you have to be quick or get run over by the vehicle in the opposite lane. for that you need more power.
or
you could brake really hard and swerve back behind the slow coach auto/taxi/bus you were trying to overtake.

EDIT- pick the diesel

Last edited by rippergeo : 5th May 2008 at 19:15.

Old 5th May 2008, 19:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't know driving when I took my swift delivery. Learned it with my brand new swift, though after those local driving school.
Old 6th May 2008, 18:18   #10
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks all of you for your advice... Really appreciate the help.

Regards,
Old 6th May 2008, 19:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Narayanan,

Kindly go ahead and pick the car as others are saying. I learnt driving on my brand new Zen some 3 years ago. Don't worry, drive carefully, keep your seat belts on and watch out for crazy lane cutters and please put a BIG L on the car. People would automatically keep safe distance from you!

Btw, your question made me think, what if the pilot asks a question like, I am a new pilot can I fly 747? I know they directly cannot but what the heck!
Old 6th May 2008, 19:44   #12
BHPian

Just go ahead with a new car as it is always better than old one,and in a few weeks or 200-500kms you will get used to it,so there is no difference.The more care we take on driving our own vehicle, it is irrespective of whether it is older or newer one. Cheers.
Old 6th May 2008, 20:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Buy a hatch and never go for a sedan as you still have to learn driving and start off driving. I would recommend you opt for an alto/santro/wagonr and the last choice should be swift as it has some niggling issues still.
Old 6th May 2008, 21:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

I dont see why you should not buy a Swift. Just join a good driving school and drive carefully and slowly early on.
Old 6th May 2008, 23:39   #15
BHPian

Back in 1997, when I got my first car

1 to 10th day = 10 hours of driving school, 5 of it in maruti OMNI
13th day = DL
16th day I picked my M800 from the dealer and drove home 14 KMS in peak hour traffic.

If you are confident of what you are doing, dont give in for anyones advice.

Buy the car you like and drive safe.
cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks