Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 23:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Just watch out for the soft clutch - which is sensitive to clutch riding than most.
Old 7th May 2008, 02:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVI2112 View Post
I plan to buy the Vxi (petrol)
Great choice. In a swift you get a neat package fo a stylish car that is good to drive (and later on good to mod too
You have chosen the Petrol version rightly as the Diesel would be useless, as you do not do the required mileage that would warrant your purchase of a Diesel car. Why dont you go in fro the Zxi version? It comes fully loaded with twin airbags, climate control a/c, ABS and mags amongst the noticeable features. If you do want to still go in for the Vxi version, at least get the optional ABS version.
Enjoy your car and please please dont get a Dezire.
There are two problem areas in the Swift. The front suspension and the Clutch. These WILL give you a problem and will do you good to mention in writing during the time of service if these problems do crop up.
Old 7th May 2008, 06:58   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

narayanan
you can learn on ANY car - entirely upto you
If you are buying a Swift, please ensure that you get both sides outside mirrors though because Maruti has a nasty habit of short changing customers (especially for LXi models) by not giving the left mirror as part of OEM.
You do need both outside mirrors for reversing and for seeing whats happening behind you, in addition to the inside rear view mirror.
Swift has relatively limited visibility while reversing, thats why this advice.
Plus, I suggest a medium grey sunfilm on your car, if you are thinking of this because the extremely dark sunfilm is difficult to see through at night especially on our ill lit roads.
Good luck on your new car!
Old 7th May 2008, 09:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

One can buy any car over here, even without a licence.

This issue which might later happen once insurance deruglation happens will be when insurers discourage inexperienced drivers from big cars due to high insurance premiums.
Old 7th May 2008, 09:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Why dont you go in fro the Zxi version? It comes fully loaded with twin airbags, climate control a/c, ABS and mags amongst the noticeable features.
I agree. Why compromise on safety for a few thousand rupees ? Apart from the features V-16 mentioned, I think the current crop of Zxis also come with an integrated audio-system with steering-mounted controls, which is cool IMO.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Dude,

you will never have problem with swift on the roads. but you might just give kisses to vehicles around you while parking. so one "strong" recommendation is to get the "parking sensors" fitted on your new swift and stop your car from kissing other cars while parking in tight spots!

you will love swift, its really fun to ride swift!

thanks and regards
Rajat
Old 7th May 2008, 11:04   #22
BHPian

I bought my new swift very recently and I think I am doing good with my driving. I am new to gear stick driving. I drove an automatic earlier and that too in US. India is a different ball game.You need to be very sensible, make use of your rear view mirrors and also be cautious and never let the rage in you take over.The first day on the roads here scared the hell out of me. I just joined a driving school and learned there for a week before using my own car. I can say now I know how to drive and wish you all the very best.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

The car is a bit wide and the visibility through the small glass area are the only minus points one should consider as a first time driver.

Otherwise this car is one of the easist to drive around, its compact & zippy !!

i10 is also a great first timer car IMHO.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why not.. Half the people on the road dont know driving anyway !!
Old 7th May 2008, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Parking sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatkumar View Post
Dude,

you will never have problem with swift on the roads. but you might just give kisses to vehicles around you while parking. so one "strong" recommendation is to get the "parking sensors" fitted on your new swift and stop your car from kissing other cars while parking in tight spots!

thanks and regards
Rajat
Thats is a good suggestion to get the parking sensors... I will do that when i buy it.

Thanks,
Old 7th May 2008, 13:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatkumar View Post
Dude,

thanks and regards
Rajat
Thanks for that . It will be a very important accessory.
Regards,
Old 7th May 2008, 13:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

go ahead and good luck. just leave an extra bit of gap than what you think you have. This will save you a lot of worries. Since you are new to driving be careful on the clutch use.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:49   #28
BHPian

Should'nt be a problem, drive with confidence and without fear... all the best!
Old 7th May 2008, 13:58   #29
BHPian

since this is your first buy and u plan to keep it for a long time and since you already seem to have a liking for the swift..go ahead with it my friend , why do u want to settle for anything lesser than what you want. Dont listen to guys who tell you that learning to drive on a swift is dangerous, it all depends on how well u adapt to the car and how quickly. Or else the better suggestion is to enrol into a driving school to get comfy with your driving skills. Believe me , once you do manage to become good at driving , the swifts power is only going to help you get out of tight situations such as tight overtaking
Old 7th May 2008, 15:10   #30
BHPian

I got my DL long ago but never really drove until I got my Swift some 6 months back. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to its width and ride and another 500 km to get used to Hyderabad traffic.

You are bound to get a few minor scratches in the initial days. Don't worry about that and don't opt for teflon coating! You can put side beedings but they are not of much use. Be careful about the flared wheel arches. Also get a reverse parking sensor.

For driving lessons join a driving school like Maruti Driving School on a similar car and then practise on your Swift.

Most Viewed