Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 23:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Why not? Swift is a good car. I got really comforable when I test drove the Swift D first time, more so than our 800 and Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Be careful about the flared wheel arches.
I will give a suggestion which helped me. Keep both side mirrors open. Since open mirrors are wider than wheel arcs and you will be able to view them also, you wheel arcs are more safer.
Old 7th May 2008, 23:20   #32
BHPian

You can go ahead with any car. Truly speaking it doesnt matter after a month or two. I would suggest you go to a good training school and after that practise. Start with empty roads and then slowly move to narrow lanes as your confidence increase. As for parking, as Rajat mentioned, you can get parking sensors.
But again it totally depends on how fast you gain your confidence. And if there is a will there is a way.
Go for any car, any width/length (hatch back or sedan). After a few days you would feel as if the car corners are corners of your own body and then you will soon learn to save yourself []
Old 8th May 2008, 00:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVI2112 View Post
Hi,

I am yet to learn driving and was planning to buy a new car sometime in september '08 (after rains).

Just by reading through the reviews on cars across various forums, I thought I can go ahead and buy a Maruti Swift. However, when I was discussing this, some people told me that as a new learner (since this will be the first car after i get my license) it will be dangerous to buy a Swift as it is a powerful vehicle and also that I will face problem to park the car in the reverse (as it is bulky)!!

I stay at Mumbai and will look forward to keep the car I buy atleast for 5 to 6 years. The general usage of the car will not be much (100-150 Km per month) and will be driven by me only mostly. Also, once I am comfortable driving, I will be using the car to go to Pune and also other nearby places for vacationing. Also, I will be looking to have a 5 seater. It is these parameters based on which I zeroed in on SWIFT.

Can you please advice me, if I can go ahead with my plans to buy a SWIFT or if you agree with my earlier advisors, suggest some other car which will suit my purpose.

Thanks for your advices,

Regards,

Since you're planning to buy a car in Sept, what you can try in the interim is buy a beat up second hand Maruti 800 and "haath saaf karo". Sell it off when you get the Swift.

Some used car dealers also rent out 8-10 year old models. You can use this for a few weeks to gain confidence.
Old 8th May 2008, 09:54   #34
BANNED

Do not push your car before you push yourselves and know your capabilities. Buy and drive any car.

Translation:- be a sedate driver for a really longish time. Swift, as the name suggests, is a very powerful, big (for newbies) and quick handler. Stick to speeds below the speed limits, and avoid quick / sudden moves. Stay with general flow of traffic and do not try tricks for a really long time.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:07   #35
BHPian

It's a great car, but watch your flanks. She's as wide as the SUVs.
Also have a look at the i10.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatkumar View Post
Dude,

you will never have problem with swift on the roads. but you might just give kisses to vehicles around you while parking. so one "strong" recommendation is to get the "parking sensors" fitted on your new swift and stop your car from kissing other cars while parking in tight spots!

you will love swift, its really fun to ride swift!

thanks and regards
Rajat
@Rajat...Mate is it possible to get parking sensors fitted ??
Old 8th May 2008, 11:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am yet to learn driving and was planning to buy a new car sometime in september '08 (after rains).

Just by reading through the reviews on cars across various forums, I thought I can go ahead and buy a Maruti Swift. However, when I was discussing this, some people told me that as a new learner (since this will be the first car after i get my license) it will be dangerous to buy a Swift as it is a powerful vehicle and also that I will face problem to park the car in the reverse (as it is bulky)!!

I stay at Mumbai and will look forward to keep the car I buy atleast for 5 to 6 years. The general usage of the car will not be much (100-150 Km per month) and will be driven by me only mostly. Also, once I am comfortable driving, I will be using the car to go to Pune and also other nearby places for vacationing. Also, I will be looking to have a 5 seater. It is these parameters based on which I zeroed in on SWIFT.

Can you please advice me, if I can go ahead with my plans to buy a SWIFT or if you agree with my earlier advisors, suggest some other car which will suit my purpose.

Thanks for your advices,

Regards,
if you like swift go ahead and buy one...i too bought it as my first car...just drive safely...moreover "ships look good at the shore but that's not what they are made for"
Old 8th May 2008, 12:16   #38
BHPian

My suggestions (you being a new driver) are

Drive with confidence.
If your driving school says "honk at every turning and for everything" do not follow that. Honk only if necessary. Follow lane discipline.
Follow rules irrespective of how people around you are violating them. It doesn't harm you.

Anticipate... Keep an eye for bad drivers around, and keep away from them. Maintain some distance, and make way for crazy drivers on street. Slowly you will be street smart yourself.

Not sure if the forum has a thread on "Safe driving habits" for beginners.
Please follow advice of gurus on forum if there is one thread about it.

Good luck, and always wear seat belt.
Old 8th May 2008, 16:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your advices,

Regards,
Hi there NVI,

Since you like the swift, you can definitely buy one irrespective of whether you are a novice at driving or not. You need to have good judgement and anticipation when driving in the city, so that you dont kiss anyone with your new car. Also as suggested by other BHPians, make sure you follow the rules no matter who breaks them. And parking should not be a problem once you are used to it. Else you might need parking sensors as suggested(though I am not sure if that can be fitted aftermarket).

One thing i noticed in your post is that you want to keep the car for 5-6 years. Personally, I dont own the swift but I have a friend who owns one (petrol). Its 7-8 months since he got the car and already there are quite a few rattles in the front doors & near the dash. This might be due to the pot holed roads in Bangalore, i am not sure. After going through lots of Swift thread on T-BHP, I helped him out with the door and boot damping and it stays quite for 2-3 weeks and appears again. Have to find a solution for that. If you can live with rattles with some heavy duty ICE, then you can definitely go for the SWIFT.
Old 8th May 2008, 19:59   #40
BHPian

Any car you buy, I think there will be the initial jitter for 1 or 2 weeks. When I migrated to Honda City from Santro, I found it little difficult to adjust and even when I moved to Civic I found it difficult.

There were days in the first 2 weeks that I thought I made a mistake by
buying a big car. But trust me, after 1 or 2 weeks it will be as easy as whatever!!!

Go for it. But I have no idea about the swift except for the fact that it closely resembles Fabia which I am going to buy !!!
Old 8th May 2008, 20:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Most of driving schools keep all kind of hatch cars. Ask one for Swift for some lessons. That will make you more prepared for the car. Looking at the dimensions of swift, first hand new drive can be problem at places.
Old 8th May 2008, 21:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

parking sensors are not that great for judging distance. if you are getting it fitted aftermarket anyway, go for cameras where u can visually see the space left.
Old 8th May 2008, 23:21   #43
Team-BHP Support

You can buy any car and drive any car once you have the required driving license and INR. Ideally smaller the cars, easier they are to manage, but if you are confident, careful and have patience to do things proper, size might not matter afterall

All the very best with the swift.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:26   #44
BHPian

Some common mistakes for new driver in new vehicle

Though I learned driving at age of 18Yrs. During last 16 years, I kept reciting all my theoretical driving skills and dreaming to buy own 4W all the time. I bought my first car SX4 last year.

These are from my own (little) experience.

Position -

1. In Driving seat, position should be comfortable. Clutch, Brake and accelerator pedals are comfortably pressed by foot. If not then adjust drivers seat accordingly.

2. Now along with seat belts put on and hand on steering, adjust and focus your all three RVM. Without leaning or bending views are defined below -
a. RVM inside car - You should able to view at complete rear glass at center of mirror over rear seat.
b. L/R RVM - You should able to look at both door handles and that rear top corner of own car is matched along the upper corner of your side of mirror.
This own car visibility should not cover more than 20% of total view in mirror.

Starting -

1. Look at instrument panel before putting in first gear (specially parking brake light), Disengage hand brake if on.

2. Avoid sudden braking and use clutch/accelerator gently as its very new and unfamiliar.

3. Try to keep slow(<40kmph) straight and avoid zig zag driving.

4. Most Important: Be deaf if somebody honks at you from rear.

In fact we all are learning in our day-to-day driving and each experience is new.

Scratch:- I got on first day within 1 hr itself and on right mirror, but succeded in limiting upto that point only. After that nothing. So try to save it for week at least.

Good luck!

Last edited by omishra : 9th May 2008 at 11:36. Reason: more tips added.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra
This own car visibility should not cover more than 20% of total view in mirror.
As I learnt it, the ORVMs should have your car in 1/3rd of the mirror space, which comes to like 33%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks