Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2008, 02:52   #1

Swift(VXI ABS) or Accent GLE or IKON Flair or Tdci. EDIT: Bought Aveo. Pics Attached

Hi TBhpians,
I am in the process of buying my first car and have been silently browsing this forum over the last 2 months to come to a final decision. My budget is 5-6 lakhs and I will be using this car to commute between my home and office. I plan to use my car for a year since I will be going for higher studies next year (Fall 2009). After that my wife will be using this car for 2 years.

It is fairly obvious from the rave reviews on this forum, that Swift is the way to go.
I TDed a Swift VXI today and fell in love with the car (although the interiors were abysmal). The twist here is that my wife is not exactly fond of hatchbacks and she wants a three box car (Hyundai Verna/SX4) which is obviously way out of my budget. She owns an Esteem and wants a 'rough and tough' car(in her words) . She also TDed the Swift today but she was not very impressed (has the same opinion of all hatchbacks). Therefore, I have decided to have a look at other options before finalising on a Swift.

I was wondering whether buying an Accent GLE or Ford Ikon Flair instead of Swift Vxi makes sense considering the huge discounts being offered at the moment. Swift Dzire is out of question because of the long waiting period and the looks.

Please feel free to pour in your suggestions.

Mods : Please do not close this thread. I searched the forum with all possible keywords but did not find any conclusive answers.
Old 25th May 2008, 08:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Swift is no doubt a VFM. I saw an ad in todays TOI that integrated stereo, Automatic climate control, Dual airbags, ABS, Tilt suspension. The ad do not say about the version, but I would assume it to be the high end version.

But if swift is out of question, then my vote goes to Accent. As you would have seen in the other posts and thread, the ford A.S.S. is expensive.

Accent is realy a VFM for the sedan. The only drawback is its old design. But since you are considering For or Accent, I think Accent makes more sense. Accent and Ford or both in the same league of being phased out. But no one knows if that will happen within one or 2 yrs or even more.

I am not adding any new cars for not to increase your confision more
Old 25th May 2008, 09:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajj_mba View Post
She also TDed the Swift today but she was not very impressed (has the same opinion of all hatchbacks). Therefore, I have decided to have a look at other options before finalising on a Swift.

My experience as well (wife against hatch). Deciding on sedan on a budget is never easy, as most options in the segment fail on looks or are dated.

My personal opinion is against Accent as I owned that vehicle in the past for 2 yrs and the mileage was never above 8km/ltr in congested roads of Mumbai city. With pure practicality in mind you cant fail with Logan.

Recommendations may not work here, reading reviews posted in forum may help but ultimately TD & opinion of both of you will make the decision.

Good luck with the decision making.
Old 25th May 2008, 09:41   #4

Thanks for your inputs mjothi. I have been following your Aveo thread for sometime now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Swift is no doubt a VFM. I saw an ad in todays TOI that integrated stereo, Automatic climate control, Dual airbags, ABS, Tilt suspension. The ad do not say about the version, but I would assume it to be the high end version.
Yes.That would be the top end ZXI version.

I am planning to call up the Hyundai people for a TD today. Will keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I am not adding any new cars for not to increase your confision more
Cheers!!
Old 25th May 2008, 09:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you have shortlisted the 3 cars - Then My choice would be Accent & Swift.

Accent is a old model so basically you get VFM / Car with a Boot and a very reliable and fun car to drive. Resale will not be very good.

Swift on the other hand has fresh looks but very cramped interiors.

Feature wise - the only thing you get on the Swift is ABS optional in the VXi trim. Nothing Else.

Both the cars in my opinion are fuel guzzlers. My accent gives me 12 - 14 kpl ( With AC )
Old 25th May 2008, 10:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Both the cars in my opinion are fuel guzzlers. My accent gives me 12 - 14 kpl ( With AC )
Your Accent is quite efficient.. Why u calling it a fuel guzzler?
Old 25th May 2008, 12:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Why not the Swift Dzire ? It is the latest sedan in the market. Accent and Ikon are very old cars almost at the end of their life cycles.

Edit: Please ignore the post. I missed your comments about the Dzire in your post. Thanks Karan.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2008 at 12:25.
Old 25th May 2008, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why not the Swift Dzire ? It is the latest sedan in the market. Accent and Ikon are very old cars almost at the end of their life cycles.
I think Raj already mentioned about looks and wait period in his post.
@raj-Since your wife will be driving it for a longer period and she s against Swift.Accent GLE seems to be the best option among 3. But dont expect good resale!
Old 25th May 2008, 14:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Instead of looking at Accent and Ikon which are dated models, maybe you should look at Indigo/Indigo CS as well.
Old 25th May 2008, 18:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Your Accent is quite efficient.. Why u calling it a fuel guzzler?
12 according to me is a fuel guzzler, when I hear other cars giving more mileage - Honda City's & of course other Diesels

Overall I am satisfied with my Accent.
Old 26th May 2008, 01:44   #11

Aveo it is !!! or Verna? (will find out soon)

Thanks for all your inputs, guys. Turns out that I am not going in for any of the options I had mentioned.

We TDed a Chevrolet Aveo in the afternoon today and man, we were just swept away with the build quality and the ride of the car. The moment I put the car in first gear, I was grinning. I do not understand engine specifications much but I am sure I will have a very good reason to get up in the morning everyday & go to my office. cheers:

Now, my wife wants to test what a Verna feels like. I know I am way off my budget. Initially I was planning to buy the Swift without taking a loan but now I have to go in for a loan. I will definitely try to talk her out of the Verna for the simple reason that I do not want that sort of power at her disposal.

@mjothi - Can you please PM me your cell number? Just wanted to have a quick chat with you before booking the Aveo.

Cheers guys.
Old 26th May 2008, 01:56   #12

Also, can you guys please help me out with the contact number of a SBI car loan agent in Pune. It is very difficult for me to take time out & visit the bank on the weekdays. In that case, I will have to start the loan formalities next weekend and I can't wait to lay my hands on the Aveo.

Mods : Request you to please upgrade my status so that my replies are posted immediately. Thanks.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all your inputs, guys. Turns out that I am not going in for any of the options I had mentioned.

We TDed a Chevrolet Aveo in the afternoon today and man, we were just swept away with the build quality and the ride of the car.
It's a good move increase the budget, now you have some good choices and Aveo definitely is a good car. I personally found the interiors the best in the segment.

Good Luck.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:52   #14
BHPian

Accent or Aveo

Hi. I have both these cars and I can assure you that Aveo is a really nice car. But which model you are looking for? The Aveo's engine is not the type to have fun with...like a Fiesta 1.6 but if you don't mind that (like myself ) and prefer to have the good ride and space instead, then I believe Aveo is perfect.
Old 26th May 2008, 10:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mjothi - Can you please PM me your cell number? Just wanted to have a quick chat with you before booking the Aveo.
Cheers guys.
Congrats!!!
I wish I could. I am right now in Changi (Singapore) Airport traveling to US. Will be back in a week. Please feel free to drop in a PM. I will be more than happy to respond.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks