Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 20:58   #1
BHPian

2003 Palio, worth it?

It's the Palio ELps(1.2).
2003(september) model, accident free. The car is in pretty good condition.I saw it at Mahindra First Choice.
The one time registration is paid for and there is insurance(I don't know a lot about insurances but this once covers first and third parties) till next year october.
37600 kms.
I am being asked for 1.98L INR

So, is it worth it?
Old 31st May 2008, 22:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
I am being asked for 1.98L INR. So, is it worth it?
Carwale evaluation puts the value of the car at 1,65,500.

Is it second/ third ownership? First choice gives warranty on the car, right?
Old 31st May 2008, 22:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Carwale evaluation puts the value of the car at 1,65,500.

Is it second/ third ownership? First choice gives warranty on the car, right?

If I buy the car, I'll be the third owner. To add to that, there is no warranty. I was put off by both the factors, to be honest.
How accurate are carwale evaluations?
I am trying to buy a used car within 2.7(sretched budget). For anything above that,I'd rather buy a new car.
I was eying the Palio for this reason, but I am new here in Bangalore and I cannot find enough used car showrooms. National motors, the biggest showroom for used cars here, has no palios in stock.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

1.98L??? Never!!! Palios have terrible resale, so offer around 1.2-1.3 lac at the most. This i'm talking in the case of an elx. An El would be around 90-1lac.

A mint fully loaded palio i know was sold for the above mentioned price.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:11   #5
BHPian

I sold mine just yesterday for 1.3 lacs. It was 2002 elx in almost mint condition. Had done 50k only and had brand new radials and battery.
And guess what? Everybody says that i got a good price! So there's no way that you should go for this price that you are being offered.
Old 1st June 2008, 03:34   #6
BHPian

I am buying it in Bangalore, I do not think it is possible to get a 2002 car for 1.3L here. I have seen 2002 Palios being advertised for 2.5L.
Old 1st June 2008, 14:55   #7
BHPian

Mate you can get a 99-00 OHC for 2.5l . forget the palio at that price. 1.3l seems more appropriate. Also why don't you go for a maintanence free car as in your budget you should be able to get a used WagonR or a Alto.
Old 1st June 2008, 17:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since you can stretch your budget upto 2.7 lacs why dont you opt for the
Accent 1.5 P. I think 2002-03 model can be got at 2.75 for the Accent 1.5 P.
Wouldnt advice you to go for the Palio ( 3rd owner, No warranty).
Old 1st June 2008, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

recently i was looking for a use car and i had considered a palio and i was getting one for 90k with lpg kit (one which is approved by the rto) aND ONE FOR 1.25L I THINK 1.98 is way to much
Old 1st June 2008, 18:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmo007 View Post
Also why don't you go for a maintanence free car as in your budget you should be able to get a used WagonR or a Alto.
Do these cars by any chance run on water or air? I dont think so. I also think they require regular maintenance at the least, which is what a Palio too requires. Then again, things can go wrong in any car right?

Quote:
It's the Palio ELps(1.2).
2003(september) model, accident free. The car is in pretty good condition.I saw it at Mahindra First Choice.
The one time registration is paid for and there is insurance(I don't know a lot about insurances but this once covers first and third parties) till next year october.
37600 kms.
I am being asked for 1.98L INR

So, is it worth it?
Not worth spending so much on that Palio. Its priced very high. Also, do pop the hood and look at the ECU. See if it says D8 or D9. D8 means a Euro 2 car, which is better in terms of acceleration and pick up than a D9, which means a Euro 3 car. Vice-versa if you are looking at economy over power. I'd srictly recommend a D8 car though.
Old 1st June 2008, 18:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Do these cars by any chance run on water or air? I dont think so. I also think they require regular maintenance at the least, which is what a Palio too requires. Then again, things can go wrong in any car right?

Not worth spending so much on that Palio. Its priced very high. Also, do pop the hood and look at the ECU. See if it says D8 or D9. D8 means a Euro 2 car, which is better in terms of acceleration and pick up than a D9, which means a Euro 3 car. Vice-versa if you are looking at economy over power. I'd srictly recommend a D8 car though.
I am strictly looking at a Palio(or the Ford Ikon to a certain extent), because IMHO, it's not worth investing in a used Maruti or Hyundai. The price difference for new and old cars for these, are so narrow that I'd much rather buy a new car.
I did not know about the D8 or D9. For me mileage and servicing is not an issue because that would be at max 20k more, per year.
I am getting two more deals which look slightly better, but yet not enough.
Palio D, 2004(40k km on odo) for 2.4(haven't bargained yet)
Palio EL 2002 with gas kit for 1.6
Both are single owners.
Just another question, is it better to buy a car from an indivisual? My biggest concern there is the paperwork and the risk of buying a stolen car.
I am somehow not liking dealers. Already got into a verbal fight with "classic automotives", bangalore today. He didn't have any Palios and he was digressing and giving me vague excuses like how santros are better.
One of the main reasons why I don't want to buy a santro/alto/wagonR is that I stand at 6'3''
Old 1st June 2008, 18:47   #12
BHPian

D8 or D9

Also, do pop the hood and look at the ECU. See if it says D8 or D9

How prominent is this on the ECU?.....And since I am at it, I am a fiat fan.....the company and their intent.....execution...lets leave that to another day.

I have to decide between a 2002 and prior palio and a 2005 Ford Fusion....any inputs?
Pricealio around the 1Lac - 1.50Lac
Fusion: whats a price for some of these, the seller is asking for 3.85Lac (I heard a loud laugh in my head when I heard that figure.. ent "yeah right, take 2.50 or 2.60 tops)
But Palio or Fusion?
Old 1st June 2008, 19:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am buying it in Bangalore, I do not think it is possible to get a 2002 car for 1.3L here. I have seen 2002 Palios being advertised for 2.5L.
You definitely will. Try not to buy the car from any dealer instead try to search for the palio through various websites like sulekha, adpost etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmo007 View Post
Mate you can get a 99-00 OHC for 2.5l . forget the palio at that price. 1.3l seems more appropriate. Also why don't you go for a maintanence free car as in your budget you should be able to get a used WagonR or a Alto.
Very true. You can also think about the accent or the OHC
Old 1st June 2008, 19:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I think resale value in Bangalore is higher than most cities in India.

@e1t1bet: If you have a budget of 2.7, why don't your get an Ikon or Esteem?
Old 1st June 2008, 20:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, I think resale value in Bangalore is higher than most cities in India.

@e1t1bet: If you have a budget of 2.7, why don't your get an Ikon or Esteem?
It's not that I am not looking at them. I love the Ikon. If I find a good car, 2002-2004, even if it's around 3.1, I don't mind buying it.
The biggest issue is that the used car market in bangalore is astonishingly expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks